Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more worried if people lacked the grip strength to simply hang from a bar whilst trying to pull themself up.

I think you'll find most people will get some of the range of motion complete. However I would agree it is one of those things most people should able to do along with press ups and planks for a reasonable period of time.

If a girl can't do some press ups or at least defend herself effeciently (by this I mean are extremely weak) then she be easy pickings! :p

Oh man had a really good pump today (In the lower back too, is that normal :|, I guess it is when doing deadlifts) Managed sets of 8 for 85kg deadlifts, starting to get the form good and the weight increasing now, also had a few 8 rep sets of 55kg barbell rows. Didnt do any chin ups and did light pull downs due to a strange injury in my left bicep.
Shame I'm kinda putting it to waste by going out and getting mashed tonight, I have kept the diet mostly clean this week though :p.

If a girl can't do some press ups or at least defend herself effeciently (by this I mean are extremely weak) then she be easy pickings! :p

That's one way of looking at it, I'm not sure that the judicial system is in favour of that test though. :p

I'm not entirely sure if I can do wide grip pull ups either or at least not for reps so I tend to use the assist on a fairly light weight to make sure that I get enough done for reps then supplement with pull downs. Chins and and hammer grip chins I'm fine with.

Wide grip pull ups are quite difficult. It depends how you are built also!

I can do a few but I find them incredibly difficult. I am 6'2 and have long arms/legs - The only lift I find easy is the deadlift!

Back is a tough workout, and in my opinion seeing development in the back (along with arms) are the most satisfying things on BBing! :D

WGPU - can manage 13/14 full ROM, but tend to do 4 sets of 8.

i'm muscularly under developed then :(

i really wouldn't compare bodyweight squats to chins tbh!

Aww - well clearly my sweeping generalisation is wrong. But to be fair you're an exception that doesn't prove the rule....

In general though I'd say it stands. besides if you did one you'd just bring the wall down to you and back up again ;)

FF is right people should be able to do bodyweight exercises, but the simple fact is most can't.

Which is wrong dammit!!!

Normal people are weak shocker :p

Damn right! It's news to me! :o

I'd be more worried if people lacked the grip strength to simply hang from a bar whilst trying to pull themself up.

I think you'll find most people will get some of the range of motion complete. However I would agree it is one of those things most people should able to do along with press ups and planks for a reasonable period of time.

Agreed. :)

Wide grip pull ups are quite difficult. It depends how you are built also!

I can do a few but I find them incredibly difficult. I am 6'2 and have long arms/legs - The only lift I find easy is the deadlift!

Erm, if you find deadlifts easy (which you should the taller you are as you tend to have longer arms) then you're not using enough weight! ;)

As for chins, I'm just under 6'1" and have pretty long arms - so that's no excuse boy!! ;)

Sorry guys - I'm being a bit harsh aren't I? :o Well I don't give a **** you maggots! GET LIFTING!!!!! :D :D - *

At the rate of progress you're doing though you'll get there.

Best way though, get a spotter to assist you on the way up, and control yourself on the way down.

That along with WG pull downs - and heavy negs you'll get there in no time. Then you'll be strapping 20-50kg round your waist and performing them for reps! :D

* - Please note this is not a personal insult.

Ever thought about joining the army? I reckon you'd make a very formidable Sergeant Hartman type character :p.

'You are a disgusting fatbody'!!

Even better

'You mean to tell me you can't do one single pull up Pyle?'

gunnyhartman.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly off topic.

I have a friend who knows a bit of sports massage giving my legs the once over on Sunday night. Mostly calves. Since stretching reguarly my whole body in general including my legs have eased up. However my calves, they're a lot looser but I have a big knot in my leg calf possibly hitting a nerve or its a trapped nerve and it can be bloody painful!

Before she used dog oil which is the proper stuff so I'm told. She's run out and I need to find something suitable for her to use. Mayonaisse, butter and man milk will not suffice.

I'll be doing the weekly shop at Morrisons in the morning so will keep my eye out but don't think it's the sort of thing they will stock.

There's a Boots and Holland & Barrett in town which is likely to have something.

What do you/have you had used? Anything you'd recommend or steer clear of?

If you find deadlifts easy at 6'2 you need to up the weight imo.

Maybe easy is the wrong word... They are physically/mentally exhausting. But I just seem to excel at them. I am currently on 160kg for 8 double overhand, no straps or belt etc. I did an almost two year cut as I was very over weight and in the last few months I have been adding 2.5 to 5 kgs per week starting from a 70kg deadlift.

I also play around with my thick bar, axel, sometimes for static holds. Was thinking of swapping normal to thick bar deadlifts when I reach 200kg.

I just wish my overhead lift, squat and bench were in higher/in proportion! They are puny!

Quick session for me tonight. Everything felt nice and easy although my forearms were killing after the rows. Might need to start using chalk soon.

Hammer Grip Pull Ups
2.5K x 5
5K x 5
7.5K x 5
10K x 5
12.5K x 5

Seated Shoulder Press
62.5K x 5
70K x 5
77.5K x 5
85K x 5
92.5K x 5