Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not too sure really. I'll guess, as most of us aim for, a clean bulk with minimal fat gains so I don't see why you couldn't eat light spread. Not sure about the other thing, corn flour. Tbh as long as your eating to your calorie allowance and it's all good stuff (not kebabs and pizza's) then I don't see why it can't be a part of your diet.

I'm currently bulking. I've just re-analysed my diet. It was standing at around 3500 calories. Apparently I need 3200 just to tick over :eek: I'm getting around 75 grams of oats. So am going to be upping that to 100. I'm not sure what the 'limit' is I should intake a day from oats. At current my Protein/Carbs/Fats ratio was 36/36/25 (ignoring the decimals to total 100). Though I'm not sure if 500grams of turkey mince actually contains 95 grams of protein(dailyburn).
Edit: So it does.

I've also got a bit of an addiction to Morrisons fruit and grain bars.

However these prove expensive! and have just worked out I can have 3 and a half weeks supply of Phd flapjacks for the same price as these fruit and grain bars are costing me at 3 a day = 1 flapjack. So will be swapping those over. I really can't be eating any more actual food. And my metabolism is ridiculously fast it seems!

Last edited:
Terrible weekend for diet ! Was working on our data centre Friday/Saturday so its basically been fast food & protein flapjacks for 2 whole days.

Did some squats this morning. 3x10 @ 40kg. Knee felt good and still no pain, so will keep this going adding the weight slowly each week.

Robbie G, just eat them and don't worry about it.

I've just come to the conclusion that I'm rubbish at skipping. However... damn if it's not a good workout!

It just takes practice :) I felt like a right tit the first time I did it but if you keep at it you can look well pro with hardly any effort at all :D Although I guess that might be different for someone as heavily built as you :p

I was using a rope which was too small, I'm just waiting for mine to arrive in t' post. However it's a brilliant exercise - love it, but yes it is the devil's exercise - especially trying to shift close to 100kg up and down! :D

Are you doing it two footed? Because I actually find that physically harder than alternate feet. Also don't forget to go a few steps forward/side-to-side/back etc, swap feet, two bounces on one foot, then the other, then singles etc. If you get yourself into a rhythm like that you will find it easier to maintain for longer periods of time than if you are just pounding away in the same spot doing the same thing, it's also easier on your joints.

I don't see how you compare a pressup to a WG chin when it is at least twice as hard to do a rep.

I presume that was aimed at me, well, I'm a big fan of bodyweight exercise, and frankly a lot of people concentrate so much on press ups and bench press that you're right it's a disproportionate comparison however, WG chins are an integral part of lifting - if you want back development they are key. Heck I'm not asking people to do WG chins with their legs out at 90degrees - though if I can do them with the size of my legs others should too. It's just a very good core exercise - if you're serious about your body and strength WG chins are a very good way of developing it further.

Obviously the heavier you become the more muscle/strength will be required to lift up your mass, but I've seen 120kg do WG with 20kg round their waist - it's about practice and power to weight ratio - power to weight is almost more important than the actual weight lifted. Hence why I'm impressed by x times bodyweight lifts that some people manage - so what if it's something I can rep on, if it's 2,3 or even 4 times BW it has my admiration and respect.

x times BW is a far more impressive show of strength and power to me - and clearly shows power to weight ratios of an impressive nature.

Our gym got it's first set of gymnastic rings last week, 2 more at differing heights coming in the next few days wwooooo!!! :D

I did normal chins, chins rotating (preparation for muscle-ups when I get there), chins to one side pushing other arm out horizontally. Moved on to front levers with legs tucked in, tried holding legs out more and more each rep. Got elbow levers pretty steady on flat ground too so I'm going to keep doing them until the low set of rings come. Flies/presses/etc will be done regularly with the low rings until I can muscle-up into the high rings.

It's great craic and I'm going to do a little bit each day I go down until my strength catches up

Leg day today. Higher volume cycle this week. Went Like this:

Back Squats:
WU: 7.5KG (Bar Smith) x 6
60KG x 10
60KG x 20
60KG x 20
60KG x 20
60KG x 10
60KG x 10 (contemplated making this a 20 at the peak of the last rep but chickened out)
60KG x 10

Front Squats:
60KG x 0

De-racking the bar of the olympic bench was enough to tell my my 'quad trama' and pump was going to be stopping those happening today!

SLDL:
60KG x 8
60KG x 8
60KG x 8

Ideally I'd of liked sets of 20 but my quads we're trembling so much I didn't feel comfortable.

Walking Lunge:

40KG x 16 steps
40KG x 16 steps

Adduction: 4sn:
80KG x 20
80KG x 20
80KG x 20
90KG x 20
110KG x 20

Leg Extensions: Pause at peak: 4sn:
45KG x 20
45KG x 15
35KG x 10 Long pauses at peak. Last rep pause till failure.

Job done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom