Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 9ft rope might be a bit big actually, I'm about 6' and I only tend to use an 8ft, like it to be a really tight fit so I can skip quicker though :D. When in doubt though always go bigger, you can always cut it down if it's too big. The Ampro rope I have came with instructions on how to alter it and what the correct length is. I have the speed rope btw, it's a good quality rope.

What benefit does the belt give ?

It's designed to protect your back from hyper extending by pushing in your core muscles and allowing them to work more efficiently throughout a movement - typically with heavy weights. The more you us it the less you will not be using your abdominal muscles to support yourself. You need to ensure that your abdomen is still strong throughout your training - core workout is vital - many very heavy DLers don't use belts for silly amount of weights, even for squats etc.. So, overall, it should be used sparingly and not as a substitute for strong core muscles.

A 9ft rope might be a bit big actually, I'm about 6' and I only tend to use an 8ft, like it to be a really tight fit so I can skip quicker though :D. When in doubt though always go bigger, you can always cut it down if it's too big. The Ampro rope I have came with instructions on how to alter it and what the correct length is. I have the speed rope btw, it's a good quality rope.

Thanks, very helpful :)

It'll be harder to skip with a shorter rope if you're not very good at it though.

The general rule is, if you stand on the middle of the rope, the handles should reach your armpits comfortably.

Whats the best kind of alcoholic drink for to be drinking when trying to look after your stomach size

Thursdays is traditional drinking night for me...as well as other week days :D i usually drink like spirits with coke in or cider which are really bad as im trying to reveal my abs and obliques

Would wine be best?

How does this routine look to people here, i have used elements from the stronglifts 5x5 programme but added my own exercises to it to personalize it to what i want to achieve

Workout A

Overhead Squats 3x8 with 20KG barbell or empty Olympic bar
Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Chest Flyes 3x8
Inverted Row 5x5
Press ups 3x Failure
Sit ups on gym ball 3x12
Standing torso rotate with 20KG plate 3x12 each side
Reverse Crunch 3x12
Side Bend with 20KG plate 3x12

Workout B
Overhead Squats 3x8 with 20KG barbell or empty Olympic bar
Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Upright Row 3x8
Good mornings 3x8
Deadlifts 5x5
WG ull ups/Chin ups alternating between workouts
Gym ball Plank 30-40secs
Side Star plank 30-40secs
Back extensions on Gym ball 3x12

Strength Chest Session Today: Slow controlled negs.

WU: Pec Dec:
75KG x 6
82KG x 6
89KG x 6
96KG x 6

Incline DB Press:
32.5KG x 8
35KG x 8
37.5KG x 8
40Kg x 5 (PB, never had the 40's up before, two girls we're watching...:rolleyes::p)

Flat DB Press:
35KG x 8
32.5KG x 7
30KG x 8

Flat Cable Flyes:
13KG x 8
16KG x 6
16KG x 6

Incline Cable Flyes:
13KG x 8
16KG x 6
16KG x 6

Dips: @ BW
Bars Wide x 8
Bars Narrow x 6F, 2 negs
Bars Narrow x 5F, 2 negs

Lying EZ Skull Crushers: 4sn.
Shoulder Width Grip: 17.5KG x 8
Close Grip: 17.5KG x 8
Shoulder Width Grip: 17.5KG x 8

Cable Tricep Pushdown: 4sn
26KG x 6
28KG x 6
33KG x 6

5 Minutes H.I.I.T on the rower.

Bish bosh bash. :)

1 more mass session, then over to barbells for a while.

Well, it didn't go as planned :p I lost.

I was totally unprepared for how hard I was going to get hit. The other guy came out at the bell and basically landed a 1-2 with full force and I was just like: "****" :D

I didn't do too badly though, I went all three rounds and landed some shots of my own, and I definitely learnt a hell of a lot from it, and I definitely intend to do it again! It was the most exciting, full on thing I've ever done, nothing even comes close. I can't wait in fact.

A lot of it I know was nerves, even though I didn't think I was feeling any, I felt myself standing there and not punching and afterward I just thought "why?". The worst part is feeling I could have done so much more, but hopefully next time I will be looser and be able to let me hands go more.

I'll say some more in the morning but atm I'm knackered.

Oh, also, it was filmed so I will be able to up a full video of it next week :)

Thought I'd chip in with a bit about myself. Would be nice to keep track of things as well.

I've been back at the gym for just under 2 months now. I've been a gym goer for a few years now. Never really taken it that seriously, I started getting my routine into shape and my diet sorted towards the end of last year, but in January I went traveling for 8 months. Going back to the gym after 8 months of no exercise was a bit of a shock! I'd lost about 14kg during this time (was around 88kg before) as well as all my strength.

After about 2 months I've got my diet back on track and my gym routine is coming along nicely. I'm back up to similar weights with the majority of exercises. Deadlifts are already back up to where they were at around 100kg. Struggling with back squats so sticking to fronts for a little while but that's up to around 60kg. which is similar to before. Ony been doing db bench press as well but that's up to 32's which is already more than I used to do. Still a bit weak on pullups and BOR's though, back is definietly taking longer to catch up. Pretty pleased with that as I've only put on 2kg since being back which means I'm almost at the same level of strength but 12kg's lighter. Looking to put that weight back on nice and quickly though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom