Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been neglecting deadlift recently and got sick a few times so I figured I'd be terrible, but Freefaller is a constant reminder of their importance, so today I decided to man up and bash one out. And then do a deadlift session. I was pleasantly surprised because without real difficulty I did a PB, 140kg x 1 @ 75kg

Now there's some motivation to do them more!

Next time don't bash one out before the gym, instant higher lifts. (Don't quote the studies, I've read them, just going on my own experience :p)

Next time don't bash one out before the gym, instant higher lifts. (Don't quote the studies, I've read them, just going on my own experience :p)

Haha, I've read them too, I didn't really have a cheeky shufty, it's just that when I was writing the post I was writing "bash one out" in reference to a deadlift and then used it for comic effect.

I think I'll go have a Thai massage for my fatigued lower back!

DS are good - but the best way to do DS are:

Last set high weight @ 4 reps for example
Strip weight
6 reps
Strip weight
8 reps
Strip weight
10 reps/

It's a killer though! :D

I started doing that for my deadlifts.
Makes me look like I'm about to pass out for about 30 seconds afterwards, but damn it feels good.:D

I'd be interested to read studies on how releasing some 'manliness' before a weights session can affect testosterone levels and lifts (if at all) :p

It does sod all to your test levels, it may even perhaps if anything raise it a little. However it does release dopamine and other soothing hormones which doesn't render well towards intense lifting.

Tried to see what my 1RM was for deadlifting last night, baaaaaaad idea! Moving around has never been so painful today, but it's a good pain.

At least I think it is. It feels like extreme DOMS, but I'm a little worried I've done more damage than I thought. One thing's for sure though, I'm not going to be attempting any 1RMs any time soon, the rest of my workout last night was completely destroyed after burning out on the deadlifts.

Yeah the pain is slowly easing up, I'm sure it's just DOMS having not exercised at all for over a week then jumping straight into it again.

It was only 175Kg, not much compared to most of you guys I know! But the most I've ever lifted previously was 135Kg which is what I lift for reps (increasing by 2.5Kg every workout). If felt pretty good at the time having all of the weights I own on the bar, I'm regretting it a bit now though!

It might be caused by your core not quite being strong enough to support the weight. Sure you can begin set in the perfect form and be keeping your back as straight and fixed as you can but if your core isn't strong enough your hips roll and you get a pull in your lower back which is probaly what you're experiencing. Give it a few days and you'll be fine. Congrats on the PB :)

Yeah the pain is slowly easing up, I'm sure it's just DOMS having not exercised at all for over a week then jumping straight into it again.

It was only 175Kg, not much compared to most of you guys I know! But the most I've ever lifted previously was 135Kg which is what I lift for reps (increasing by 2.5Kg every workout). If felt pretty good at the time having all of the weights I own on the bar, I'm regretting it a bit now though!

175kg is good, well done. Keep going, 180kg feels great as you've got the 4 plates each side of the bar :)

We were talking about that in the gym yesterday funnily enough - about getting it going again early next year.

We've got that log as well that hasn't even been used yet :o

Leg session today. Had my theory paper for my Level 2 Gym instructor course and practise practical, walked home and then decided I couldn't be bothered to do any work and wanted to train my legs instead! So much for a second rest day! :p

Back Squats: Smith:
7.5KG x 6
60KG x 6
3sn, 3second pause at bottom of rep:
100KG x 6
110KG x 6
120KG x 6 (PB for reps)
130KG x 4 (1stall/spot)
100KG x 6
60KG x 6

SLDL:
60KG x 6
70KG x 6
80KG x 6
90KG x 6
100KG x 6

Front Squats: 3sn, 3sp at bottom of rep:
60KG x 6
70KG x 6
70KG x 6

Bar began to slip off my shoulders (cross armed)

Walking Lunge: Nice and slow
20KG x 12 steps
25KG x 12 steps
25KG x 12 steps

Adduction:
60KG x 6
80KG x 6
100KG x 6
120KG x 6
150KG x 6

Leg Extension: Controlled.
50KG x 6
80KG x 6
100KG x 6
110KG x 6
120KG x 6
130KG x 4

Finished off with some weighted crunches and light calf raise as my calfs have been a bit iffy as of late.

Shoulders tomorrow and I have some exciting super/drop sets to try :D

I have just had a week off after doing 6 days a week for around 4-5 months now so needed to give my bones and body a rest! Kinda hard not doing weights for a week feel week :( Well back tomorrow :D

Shoulders today:

Rotator Cuff Warm up
MP:
25KG x 12
40KG x 8

PC2PP:
60KG x 8
60KG x 8
60KG x 8

Seated DB Shoulder Press: No Backrest:
20KG x 8
25KG x 8
25KG x 8
22.5KG x 6

Side Raise Dropsets :D:
10KG x 10, 7KG x 10, 4KG x 10, 4 second hold paralell, 4sh 45degree, 4sh parralel, 4sh 45 degree
10KG x 8, 7KG x 8, 4Kg x 8 4 second hold paralell, 4sh 45degree, 4sh parralel, 4sh 45 degree
10KG x 5, 7KG x 5, 4KG x 5 4 second hold paralell, 4sh 45degree, fail.

Seated Shoulder Press Machine: Really hits the anterior delts.
25KG x 8
35KG x 8
45KG x 8

Alternating side shrugs:
27.5KG x 8/8
32.5KG x 8/8
37.5KG x 8/8

Bent Over Rear Raises:
8KG x 8
8KG x 8
8KG x 8

2 Cable Rope Hammer Curl Dropsets
2 Tricep Cable Push Down Dropsets

Then I had a bash at some skipping.

From managing 3 passes to 10. Just need a bit of practise but didn't find it too frustrating!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom