Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2772005.stm

I wasnt suggesting he ate 8 tins a week :p if pregnant women can eat 2 medium tins a week then im sure 2 wont do you any harm.

Fair enough I'm sure 2 tins a week isn't that bad :)

My diet currently consists of :
Chicken with rice/in pita
Tuna in pita
Steak + salad
Salmon + sweet potato
Mackerel + pasta
Scrambled eggs

Not very exciting

Fair enough I'm sure 2 tins a week isn't that bad :)

My diet currently consists of :
Chicken with rice/in pita
Tuna in pita
Steak + salad
Salmon + sweet potato
Mackerel + pasta
Scrambled eggs

Not very exciting

TBH thats pretty much me, have turkey to with rice. And wholemeal bread with tuna/ham to keep the kcals up.

Once you keep to a healthy diet for a while i found i dont crave junk at all. Had my cheat meal yesterday steak pie and oven chips, and was pretty gutted with it. Wish i just had turkey and rice lol

TBH thats pretty much me, have turkey to with rice. And wholemeal bread with tuna/ham to keep the kcals up.

Once you keep to a healthy diet for a while i found i dont crave junk at all. Had my cheat meal yesterday steak pie and oven chips, and was pretty gutted with it. Wish i just had turkey and rice lol

Just bought some turkey today for this week , don't usually eat much turkey at all but good to have a bit of a change :)

Bit of a random thought while I've been watching the tv.
Do you find once you've started to get into the gym seriously and start training balls to the wall every session you find you've got less time for people who try and make excuses for not doing something or who don't seem to really want to put the effort in, not just in the gym but just in life in general.

Bit of a random thought while I've been watching the tv.
Do you find once you've started to get into the gym seriously and start training balls to the wall every session you find you've got less time for people who try and make excuses for not doing something or who don't seem to really want to put the effort in, not just in the gym but just in life in general.

I've always been intolerant of people who make excuses for anything and everything. If there's a genuine life altering issue then sure that's cool, but I find people make excuses up just to justify things to themselves. It's abhorrent behaviour IMO. I'd rather people be honest I have more respect for someone that says "sorry mate, can't be arsed" than makes up some random excuse for not doing something. It's not just the gym that does that, it's a lifestyle choice. Today I did sod all and I'm quite happy to admit that, but I know I train hard, work hard and dedicate myself to my friends and to the things that need my attention.

It's a lifestyle/way of life rather than just the gym. The gym helps bring it into focus more though.

I know what your saying. I don't lift much but I train MMA 5 days a week 2 hours every night. An I get really annoyed when my mates say to me "oh can't you just skip it tonight" Yes, im sure I could just skip training and if it were for a wedding or something similair I would. But just to go for a beer up, no im not skipping training.

I train 1. because I want to and I enjoy it and 2. because I want to be the best I can be, which means hard work.

I hate people who make excuses about going to the gym or doing anything they want to do but can't be bothered to put the effort in. As freefaller said it's a way of life more than just a choice, I think dedicating yourself to anything 100% changes the way you think.

Can someone please clarify what would be a 'safe' amount of tuna per week?! if this is possible.

I know of people eating 2-3 cans a day. I currently eat around 4-6 a week and am worried this might be a bit too much! works out at about 65p for a can containing the best part of 40grams of protein.

In regards to people lacking motiviation and dedication I agree. Lots of people I know when ever I mention the gym always say 'I keep meaning to join' or 'I really want to get in shape'. If they meant to join, they would have and if they wanted to be in shape they'd already be doing something about it. Sometimes I feel people say things like that to give off an impression.

Fair play for joining but its a small step. People would earn a lot more of my respect for sticking with it, for squeezing those last reps out as I encourage them and actually breaking a sweat as opposed to just standing about chatting watching others break their backs for the bodies they want.

A friend of a friend who I've been bringing to the gym with me has stuck with it now for the best part of 2 months and I find it impressive, and feel almost a little proud as his improvement in fitness and health have been because of me to some extent. He really works hard, listens to what I say about diet and training in regards to technique and form and doesnt want to just ego trip.

He says the feeling he gets from after working hard for a good session, what he see's in the mirror and compliments he recieves from others about the pysical changes in his body are what drive him to come back everytime. The same reasons for most of us I'm sure.

Benny you've explained exactly how I feel a lot better than I did since I've been training and eating properly I've seen a massive change in how I look and feel with people complementing me and its all because I've been dedicated.
When one of my mates who might manage to drag himself to the gym once a week sits in the pub and says hes not drinking because he wants to loose weight it drives me mental thats just one of the few things I've given up or changed to get into shape and I think that he thinks thats all he needs to do and the rest will looks after itself or I get another mate rabbiting on about how hes meaning to join the gym to get in shape I just want to turn round and rip his head off it's taken me a lot more dedication and drive than just joining a gym and poping along once a week for a mild workout to get to where I am now, they just seem to think it's easy.
Sorry for the mild rant but my mates would just look at me funny if I started ranting at how lazy and in their own little world they can be about this stuff

I know of people eating 2-3 cans a day. I currently eat around 4-6 a week and am worried this might be a bit too much! works out at about 65p for a can containing the best part of 40grams of protein.
not sure whats safre...but most weekdays I have a tin also....so Im probably eating 4-6 per week sometimes too. Im sure thats OK...what what Ive read...TANK eats 6 a day:D

Actually...thinking about it...I also eat 3-4 full eggs a day....so if I go what the 'normal guidlines' say...Im a walking disaster!

Benny you've explained exactly how I feel a lot better than I did since I've been training and eating properly I've seen a massive change in how I look and feel with people complementing me and its all because I've been dedicated.
When one of my mates who might manage to drag himself to the gym once a week sits in the pub and says hes not drinking because he wants to loose weight it drives me mental thats just one of the few things I've given up or changed to get into shape and I think that he thinks thats all he needs to do and the rest will looks after itself or I get another mate rabbiting on about how hes meaning to join the gym to get in shape I just want to turn round and rip his head off it's taken me a lot more dedication and drive than just joining a gym and poping along once a week for a mild workout to get to where I am now, they just seem to think it's easy.
Sorry for the mild rant but my mates would just look at me funny if I started ranting at how lazy and in their own little world they can be about this stuff

Its this intial feeling that people lack, feeling 'good' about themselves. And its a vicious circle, because its what keeps you off your arse, but you cant get it without getting up off it which people are reluctant to do.

Theres several other reasons I train. Obviously everybody at the gym is unhappy to some extent with their body or health/fitness. If they weren't unhappy with it, they wouldn't be there.

Insecurity would probaly be one of them, having been overweight in my childhood and getting off my arse and loosing 2 and a half stone from years 8 to 10 of secondary school helped me develop the dedication I have now. Weighed in at just over 12stone 8lbs in year 7. I dont weigh much more now, a tad over 13 stone but thats muscle, not crisps and chocolate ;)

My day revolves around the gym. Come half 3 I 'fuel' for the gym by eating what I need. I train at 5 and eat dinner when I finish. That bit of my day is set in stone, regardless. I may train later or earlier depending on Uni work or other plans I have. If I know I have things interfering/stopping me training the next day, I'll do that day's work the day before with what ever else I will be doing. For example Wednesday - back, Thursday - Legs, this Thursday was a big student night out 'Super Enigma', So I trained my legs and back on wednesday night, regardless of how long it took.

Training to me is something that has to be done. To compare it to breathing would be a little extreme. If I dont train I feel guilty and feel that i'm only shooting myself in the foot. We all know how it feels when you get out of the swing of things for a few days. It seems easier to bare my teeth and push through.

If you woke me up at 9am to write an essay or go to the workshops, I wouldn't be pleased. But if you woke me up at 9am to train I'd have a smile from ear to ear and would even race you there :p

Last edited:
not sure whats safre...but most weekdays I have a tin also....so Im probably eating 4-6 per week sometimes too. Im sure thats OK...what what Ive read...TANK eats 6 a day:D

Actually...thinking about it...I also eat 3-4 full eggs a day....so if I go what the 'normal guidlines' say...Im a walking disaster!

Haha, 2 eggs in the morning and a can of tuna with a small bit of mayo on toast either before or after I train.

Went to the gym tonight and managed well on the treadmill even with some bad doms on my legs from saturday, chest/back/biceps tommorow and I think I'm gonna change my sets to 5x5 rather than the current 4x8/10 with higher weights as I want to build some strength (while still losing weight though from the cardio I do, I assume this is possible?).

Pulled my back again tonight this time de-racking 60k when I was spotting someone on the bench :(

Squatted and deadlifted heavy in the same session for the last 7 weeks and nothing. Help lift a weight off for someone and it goes :mad:

I've been feeling very strong over the last month or so and was looking forward to setting a new deadlift PB on Friday. Don't think that'll be happening now.

Session tonight until back pull.

Squats
100K x 10
127.5K x 10
155K x 10

Pulled my back again tonight this time de-racking 60k when I was spotting someone on the bench :(

Squatted and deadlifted heavy in the same session for the last 7 weeks and nothing. Help lift a weight off for someone and it goes :mad:

I've been feeling very strong over the last month or so and was looking forward to setting a new deadlift PB on Friday. Don't think that'll be happening now.

Session tonight until back pull.

Squats
100K x 10
127.5K x 10
155K x 10

Thatll teach you for slacking, whatever im lifting, even putting a weight up from the catchers to the hooks i treat it like a rep. Proper posture, breathing and technique. Bad form even on light weight can and will injure you.

Monday:

5x6xBW Wide Grip chins

BB Flat bench:

20x60kg
16x80kg
10x100kg
8x100kg
8x100kg
8x100kg

Flat DB Bench:

8x40kg
8x40kg
6x40kg
6x40kg
7x40kg

Incline DB Bench:

10x25
10x27.5
10x30
8x35
6x40

Light Incline flies:

15x10kg
15x10kg
15x10kg
15x10kg

Cable Cross over:

10x20kg
10x25kg
8x30kg
6x35kg
7x30kg

Not bad session. Shoulder was a bit painful from rugby and from past injuries... I've also buggered up my hand (it's rathe swollen) so couldnt' get as good a grip as I would like but either way still an ok session.

Feel tired and run down today so won't bother training.

Just done a back session

Weighted Chin Ups

BW+10Kg x 10
BW+16Kg x 8
BW+20Kg x 6
BW+20kg x 6
BW to total failure x 13
BW to total failure x 9

Happy with that..first time ive had a 20Kg dumbell between feet on chins!

Dead Lift

70Kg x 12
110Kg x 10
120Kg x 8
120Kg x 7
120Kg x 8

Decided..just dont like deading. Also dodgy shoulder playing up...scared to go heavier.

Single Arm Bent Over Rows

40Kg x 10 (each arm)
40Kg x 10
40Kg x 10
40Kg x 10

Was kinda easy...but max DB in this gym 40Kg.

Barbell BOR's

70Kg x 10
80Kg x 10
90Kg x 8
90Kg x 8

Finshed with set of chins to failure...failed to do 9.

15mins on X-Trainer

Feel back is getting stronger again..so im happy with a wee bit of progress.

Started back on Front squats a couple of weeks ago. Last night worked up to a triple with 110, man I hate this lift! Might start back on overhead squats soon when my shoulder is fully healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom