Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the best i've managed was 130x3, but again that was at my much higher "fatboy" bodyweight (ratio-wise i'm better than that now)

You tried OH Squats FF? They make me feel like such a wimp :(

Yeah I have but with very small weights. It's a technique and shoulder flexibility issue more than strength issue. I think it's a fantastic exercises for core development, but for brutal leg work outs, front and back squats with leg press and step ups and SLDLs are where it's at! :D

I've tried them before and I couldn't keep my balance. Dislike them nearly as much as I dislike front squats. Would rather do leg press than either.
Wuss :p

Yeah I have but with very small weights. It's a technique and shoulder flexibility issue more than strength issue.

Yeah i spent a few months getting the flexibility to do them properly. Got up to 85 best, but that still sucks badly when you watch the lightweight women in the olympics :(

I'm ok with 60kg nice and deep, but I do it for core work rather than squat work - though ultimately it is a powerlifting "move". But I'm not too bothered about that. A nice wide stance works well but is much more abductor focused.

Can someone please clarify what would be a 'safe' amount of tuna per week?! if this is possible.

I know of people eating 2-3 cans a day. I currently eat around 4-6 a week and am worried this might be a bit too much! works out at about 65p for a can containing the best part of 40grams of protein.

In regards to people lacking motiviation and dedication I agree. Lots of people I know when ever I mention the gym always say 'I keep meaning to join' or 'I really want to get in shape'. If they meant to join, they would have and if they wanted to be in shape they'd already be doing something about it. Sometimes I feel people say things like that to give off an impression.

Fair play for joining but its a small step. People would earn a lot more of my respect for sticking with it, for squeezing those last reps out as I encourage them and actually breaking a sweat as opposed to just standing about chatting watching others break their backs for the bodies they want.

A friend of a friend who I've been bringing to the gym with me has stuck with it now for the best part of 2 months and I find it impressive, and feel almost a little proud as his improvement in fitness and health have been because of me to some extent. He really works hard, listens to what I say about diet and training in regards to technique and form and doesnt want to just ego trip.

He says the feeling he gets from after working hard for a good session, what he see's in the mirror and compliments he recieves from others about the pysical changes in his body are what drive him to come back everytime. The same reasons for most of us I'm sure.

There is no 'safe' amount. Eat however many you can stomach. Great stuff tuna is. Wish I ate fish.

Its this intial feeling that people lack, feeling 'good' about themselves. And its a vicious circle, because its what keeps you off your arse, but you cant get it without getting up off it which people are reluctant to do.

Theres several other reasons I train. Obviously everybody at the gym is unhappy to some extent with their body or health/fitness. If they weren't unhappy with it, they wouldn't be there.

Insecurity would probaly be one of them, having been overweight in my childhood and getting off my arse and loosing 2 and a half stone from years 8 to 10 of secondary school helped me develop the dedication I have now. Weighed in at just over 12stone 8lbs in year 7. I dont weigh much more now, a tad over 13 stone but thats muscle, not crisps and chocolate ;)

My day revolves around the gym. Come half 3 I 'fuel' for the gym by eating what I need. I train at 5 and eat dinner when I finish. That bit of my day is set in stone, regardless. I may train later or earlier depending on Uni work or other plans I have. If I know I have things interfering/stopping me training the next day, I'll do that day's work the day before with what ever else I will be doing. For example Wednesday - back, Thursday - Legs, this Thursday was a big student night out 'Super Enigma', So I trained my legs and back on wednesday night, regardless of how long it took.

Training to me is something that has to be done. To compare it to breathing would be a little extreme. If I dont train I feel guilty and feel that i'm only shooting myself in the foot. We all know how it feels when you get out of the swing of things for a few days. It seems easier to bare my teeth and push through.

If you woke me up at 9am to write an essay or go to the workshops, I wouldn't be pleased. But if you woke me up at 9am to train I'd have a smile from ear to ear and would even race you there :p

I always tell people just starting out, the training and muscle building is not unlike a career. It really is a 24/7 thing at times. Constantly making sure you have enough protein in your body, trying to catch enough sleep, trying to prepare your next meal, making sure you eat the right stuff, making sure you train with enough intensity, keeping a journal (if you're so inclined), the list goes on and on. Only someone with a real passion for this sport can keep it up, year in and out. Regardless of body size, genetics or muscle mass, I have the utmost respect for people doing this day in and day out. I know how hard it can be at times. It can only take ONE low carb day where you appear flat in the mirror to say "**** it", screw your whole diet and go back to the easy life of no training and fast food. I get that all the time.

Agreed Regulus. I take it probably a little too seriously but the facts speak for themselves. Over the past 2.5 years I've been training properly I've put on nearly 30lbs which is pretty much all LBM - sure I've probably added a little BF, but not significant, probably around I'm probably around 13% ish. But it's hard work dedication, and destroying myself 4-5 times a week spending £60 a week on food and giving up drinking (well in excess, though I've never been a big drinker) and putting it first. It sounds sad, but it's something I want and I need and I like. I'm now standing at around 100kg a shade under 6'1" able to lift 550kg with relative ease. 2.5 years ago I was struggling with 60-70kg on bench, 100kg on Deads and 80kg on squats! I've more than doubled my strength/lifting ability, and my health has also improved considerably. And I'm starting to feel like a big ****er :D 2 more years at this rate and I should sit at 105kg 12% or so and lifting 650kg with joy! (here's hoping!). Strength and power as well as size gains are what motivates me. I don't care if people don't like big muscles etc... it's what I enjoy, it's an entirely selfish self obsessed hobby. I'm not likely to stop it any time soon.

Second time in the gym this week for me today. Pleased to be back into it. Will lift some weights tomorrow as I've only done cardio so far. Injuring my ankle playing rugby did not help my gym going, nor did going on holiday. Anyway, nose to the grindstone, I've got to get prepared for the hospitals cup final in a month!

Interestingly enough I've lost 2kg in 2 weeks from not lifting weights, I had no idea it would happen so fast, especially as I've not exactly been dieting or exercising in that period. Lent is also coming, so diet might get sorted out a bit too, giving up snacks in the doctor's mess.

**** :p

To be fair the overhead squat won't have much, if any, carry over to the back squat and front squats won't be as beneficial as heavy leg press would be for leg strength.

I'm not a big fan of leg press, as in i never noticed any real improvement in leg strenght from having them in my routine. Only real use i have for them is to give my legs some more work when my back starts to get tired. I do feel also that working the overhead squat helps me keep my form better in back squats even though it's only low weight.

I have been plugging away at the Gym for a few weeks now, and have found i have moved up from 69kg dead to 73.8kg!?

I was shocked, but then looking back at photos, I think i can see it. My chest, arms and shoulders are bigger and more defined. Not been using heavy weights either. Generally I do 3 sets of 12 on each machine. One warm up, and two heavier.

My BMI has gone from 22.8 to 24.4 in about a month. I would expect to put on more when i move up in weights, and also start doing more work on my legs. Should i expect to continue along this sort of weight increase? I will be back on my bike for getting to work 2 days a week as the nights get lighter, so i suppose i will drop down on body fat %. (22 miles each way)

Don't worry about your BMI at all. Its only for your average joe that does cardio and wants to feel good about themselves. Once you start to pack on muscle somehow BMI thinks its fat and instantly your overweight.

Don't worry about your BMI at all. Its only for your average joe that does cardio and wants to feel good about themselves. Once you start to pack on muscle somehow BMI thinks its fat and instantly your overweight.

I am not too fussed over the BMI, it was just an indication :)

What i was concerned about is if this weight increase continues at this level, could there be an impact on my joints and ligaments as I continue to play hockey, or will my body adapt to the increase in weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom