Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately not, it's part of a chain but it's the closest one to me so I go there.

I have a barbell at home but it's only got 70kg on it (including bar) so will suffice with the deadlifts for a bit.

Ahh right that explains it. Wondered why the guy was doing SLDL's on a smith and you were also benching on it.

In regards to taking fish oils - Im currently back up to just under 85KG from 82KG at long last.

I've worked my way up from 2 to 4 1000mg capsules a day. Now taking 2 when I wake up and 2 at about 10:30/11 o'clock sometimes later (normally go to bed around this time unless im on a night out)

Would it make more or less sense to take them with my evening meal? The ones in the morning are pritty much taken with breakfast as straight after I shower I eat.

I have little knowledge but understand its easier for substances to pass through the wall of the stomach/gut with food, as opposed to on their own as it can cause the wall to bleed?

Hopefully someone can clarify this, I just ate so sooner the better!

I get that also when going to heavier weights than 90-100Kg. It makes a big difference if you wear a weight lifting belt!!! It stops the bottom of you back bending so much under compression...and you will feel the stiffness of the belt helping you to do the heavier weight. Give it a try next time. Its also safer!

I know this isnt/wasnt your intention but this is bad, bad advice for a beginner. Lifting belts are great.....when you're lifting several times your bodyweight and one tiny mistake could cripple you for life. But when lifting up to double or triple bodyweight its reasonable for most people to do this unequipped.

Oh dont get me wrong, i know what your thinking right about now, "better to be safe, no harm in it is there". Well unfortunately there is, its called setting yourself up for a fall. If you relieve your lower back of its supportive duties during heavy lifting tasks, then as a result you prevent development of a strong core. What this means is you will put yourself in a position where you CANT LIFT WITHOUT a belt, even lifting with a different belt could lead to serious injury. This would be fine if you were some kind of lifting monk who never did anything strenuous except in the gym, well equipped and prepared. But lets be honest, if you can lift big you BOUND to use it elsewhere, carrying a washing machine outside, lifting the back of your mates car on a drunken dare, chucking your portly missus onto the bed....

And in doing so your back will THINK it can lift the weight and your lower back will snap, and that could be the end of your lifting and indeed your walking career. Still i hear wheelchairs are great fun.

Spot on. I see a few foreigners in our gym, one of them always wearing a lifting belt. Even for bicep curls and tricep extensions (both of which he is spotted and aided on! lifting too heavy...anyway)

I spotted a guy on bench last week, again wearing a belt, though I think he had loosened it off.

I've not used a belt and have a double bodyweight deadlift + 12KG's and a squat of around 150% bodyweight. My core feels extremely strong. Don't get me wrong, I get muscle ache after a big lift but no pain which is where bad form would come into the equation. The 'valley' on the lower half of your back should be a good sign that the errector muscles in your back are growing.

just remembered i have to cycle 9miles to college tomorrow :mad:

after deadlifts too... :(

could have been worse, could have been leg day:eek:

On another note I cycle to work each day 3 mile each way and I have now started to get quite severe leg pumps above my knees.

If this keeps up I may have to stop cycling which I don't really want to do as this is the only cardio I do and I really enjoy cycling.

Anyone got any idea's?

Went for a bit of a PB session in the gym today and managed to get a squat PB 100kg(BW) for reps and a 1RM PB 80kg on the bench. I'm a very happy man

Having trouble transferring from sitting to standing after squatting and lunging yesterday. It's been a while since I worked on my legs after injuring my ankle playing rugby. Got bored after calf raises on the leg press machine and decided to press the whole stack for 5 reps. Might have added to my sore leg woes today. Quite pleased that I could press 195kg though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom