Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
they recon that 8-12 reps are the real size builders. Lower reps increase strength more....and higher than 10-12 for conditioning. Mix it up a bit.
for a lot of the main compound exercises such as becn press, pull ups, militiary press, squats...I like the pyramid type of thing. Starting at 12...higher weight...10..higher weight...8...higher weight 5-6...then a drop set failing at about 9-10 or so. For me it keeps it kinda varied.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17974128

a couple of us ordered them :) take a week or two to get here though!

Thats OK...Im not home for 2 weeks yet..and still have a supply here at the moment. I work abroad 4 weeks at a time...and only half way through my trip:(

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just redoing my diet and need some feedback. I'm aiming for 3000cals but falling short a little. Is it advisable to eat a meal before bed, say 10pm? I'm thinking I may put another shake into the daily meals.

Breakfast - Porridge with walnuts and a banana.
Mid morning - Rice with Mackerel
Lunch - Whole-wheat pasta with chicken breast
Late-Afternoon - Protein shake with ultra fine Scottish oats
Dinner - Varies, but is generally 500cals.

All together, excluding dinner it breaks down to.
Protein - 150g
Carbs - 243g
Fat - 67.5g
Cals - 2184

So if you add in dinner that takes me to 2684, call it 2700. Any ideas for the last 300 cals? Meal before bed or extra shake (just milk and protein powder). Thanks.

Guys, just come back from my Sunday Squat day!
Anyway, I was bored tonight and decided to up the weight. I was pleased to see I managed two sets of 100x5 (my normal weight is prolly around 60-80k). Immediately after the workout I have lower back soreness much like after doing deadlifts. I have never had this with the previous squat weight, just legs DOMS for about 4 days after.

I like to think I'm pretty strict on form but have I cocked up here? I'm pretty sure I must have so this kinda negates tonight's weight increase ;/ I even watched some youtube videos before I went to the gym on squat form to be doubly sure I've been doing it right.
Any tips?

Anyway, I was bored tonight and decided to up the weight. I was pleased to see I managed two sets of 100x5 (my normal weight is prolly around 60-80k). Immediately after the workout I have lower back soreness much like after doing deadlifts. I have never had this with the previous squat weight, just legs DOMS for about 4 days after.

I like to think I'm pretty strict on form but have I cocked up here? I'm pretty sure I must have so this kinda negates tonight's weight increase ;/ I even watched some youtube videos before I went to the gym on squat form to be doubly sure I've been doing it right.
Any tips?

I get this too, i may be wrong but i think its fine. If you think about the mechanics of a squat when you are at parallel pushing up, your erector spinae and glutes will be taking a lot of weight as well as your quads obviously.

If you look Here you will see all the muscles involved.

shake in the morning as soon as you get up is the golden rule, number one, best possible thing you can ever do.

If I was going to go to the gym in the morning to do cardio for fat loss (on the cross trainer specifically for now - maybe HIIT, not decided yet!), then should I still have a shake specifically?

And with milk or water? (I'm guessing water because I don't want sugar If I'm trying to lose weight, but the taste will be bleurgh !). Should I have anything else along with it before cardio?

Thanks

Man i hate daytimes :mad:

Went gym t'other day at 1ish, had 520lb on there, could just about get it to move up but didn't get it more than a couple of cm's

Definately believing some truth in that strength at peak between 4-7

If I was going to go to the gym in the morning to do cardio for fat loss (on the cross trainer specifically for now - maybe HIIT, not decided yet!), then should I still have a shake specifically?

And with milk or water? (I'm guessing water because I don't want sugar If I'm trying to lose weight, but the taste will be bleurgh !). Should I have anything else along with it before cardio?

Thanks

well its more a bulking pointer, id still reccommend it for weight loss but you cant have it both ways. The reasoning behind having the morning shake is to stop catabolism due to starvation during the night. But if your not catabolic you wont lose weight. My plan would be to have a plain whey shake with water before cardio. The protein intake should get the metabolism going and help protect the muscles (very very unscientifically speaking) whilst maintaining a highly carb deficient state for weight loss.

But remember you can only realistically lose weight OR gain muscle, both can happen over time but you need to focus on one

Thanks

No, if you are going for weight loss then you should just have some water and maybe a banana or coffee :) Have the shake after your workout!

Any tips?

I get that also when going to heavier weights than 90-100Kg. It makes a big difference if you wear a weight lifting belt!!! It stops the bottom of you back bending so much under compression...and you will feel the stiffness of the belt helping you to do the heavier weight. Give it a try next time. Its also safer!

Just make sure you don't mix it with your porridge :eek:
Actually..if you do it properly its OK. What you do is put your helping of porridge into a shake mixer with 1 scooop of whey, milk...and I add a teaspoon of organic drinking chocolate powder (you could use any flavouring). Mix it in the shaker....pour into a bowl..then micro for a couple of minutes. It actually quite nice! Like that chocolate flavoured ready break I used to have as a kid:)

Last edited:
I'm still stuffing my face and still at 63kg! I know I am too because people are commenting on my greed :D It's costing me quite a bit of money but it's pretty fun ;)

I managed a 2 reps on 100kg on the BP smith though yesterday and 36kg (3x6) DP :)

I saw a bloke doing a back exercise in the gym that looked a bit dodgy too;

Imagine touching your toes, but on the way up he was lifting a heavy weight on the Smith machine.. it didn't look like a deadlift for sure. His legs were completely straight.. Anyone know what that was?

Last edited:
I'm still stuffing my face and still at 63kg! I know I am too because people are commenting on my greed :D It's costing me quite a bit of money but it's pretty fun ;)

I managed a 2 reps on 100kg on the BP smith though yesterday and 36kg (3x6) DP :)

I saw a bloke doing a back exercise in the gym that looked a bit dodgy too;

Imagine touching your toes, but on the way up he was lifting a heavy weight on the Smith machine.. it didn't look like a deadlift for sure. His legs were completely straight.. Anyone know what that was?

SLDL? http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/exercise-encyclopedia/erector/stiff-leg-deadlift/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom