Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Move the close grip press to chest day, it's primarily a chest exercise :)

Here's what I am currently doing as my routine, though I'm always mixing it up a bit so I don't get bored. I don't necessarily do everything every time, due to how busy my gym gets and if I am already knackered:

Monday:
Flat bench
Incline Bench
Dips
Flat fly
Incline Fly
Cable fly (i.e. Decline fly)
Vertical DB press
Front raises
Hammer curls
Trunk twists

Wednesday:
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Vertical Rows
One armed BORs
Reverse Fly
Seated Row
Pull up (assisted)
Tricep push downs

Friday:
Front squats
Back squats
Quad curls/extensions
Calf raises
Hamstring curls
Stair Crawl (:p)

Last edited:
Watch that you don't flare the elbows out maybe??

But yeh, different exercises different people too :D I hate dumbell rowing for example. I get nothing from it.

Right, I've got a bit of a challenge for you guys. I've got 3 weeks off school now, which means no gym. *booooo*

Bearing in mind I have nothing except myself, is there anyway to keep building muscle using just body weight? Apart from the usual types of pressups and abs stuff I'm struggling to find more moves - anyone got any reccommendations?

The health club my parents go to are selling off some dumbells, so I'm going to have a look at them this weekend.

Get a rock or I used to use a concrete fence post, shoulder press it onto your back and rep out some atg squats, pushups with some heavy back pack on. Be creative and unless you are a pretty good intermediate you'll be able to gain.

*I'm not responsible for your mom kicking you out for messing up her rockery or said rock crushing you :)

Good session today - repetition upper body day.

Incline DB Bench felt good

little warm up with the fun weights
15x24kg
12x30kg (should have done 32kg here I think)
10x36kg
8x38kg
6x40kg
5x40kg

The chin-up/rear delt fly superset after is a real nailer as well and that only marks half the workout :D

Really loving this WSB variation.

Get a rock or I used to use a concrete fence post, shoulder press it onto your back and rep out some atg squats, pushups with some heavy back pack on. Be creative and unless you are a pretty good intermediate you'll be able to gain.

*I'm not responsible for your mom kicking you out for messing up her rockery or said rock crushing you :)

I think my dad has some sacks of sand/compost, they might work.

I find I have to lift (what at least seems) massive weight for DB rows to do anything. My BORs are upto 60kg, but my one arm DB rows are upto 40kg each hand. :/

Same here, anything under 40KG doesn't do anything for me 45KG is a nice weight I find, incidently the heaviest DB my gym has:(. I get a good stretch/extension and a full range of motion pulling right back and really really feel it. Clean form too, i'm not jolting my shoulder up and down removing half the work.

Apart from the usual types of pressups and abs stuff I'm struggling to find more moves - anyone got any reccommendations?

One legged squats are pretty good. As are dips and pull/chin-ups providing you can find somewhere to do them; be creative. For example, I currently use my bed frame and the top of a pulled-out drawer on my desk (with weights wedged underneath it to stop it collapsing) for dips.

Last edited:
new routine 4 day split

mon back and tri
deadlifts, lat pulldowns, rows and back extensions then two tricep movements

tues shoulders
DB or military press, lateral raises for each head, BB upright rows, DB BOR's

thurs legs
squats, romanian deadlifts, calf raises

fri chest and bicep
flat press, inc press, dips, cable flys two bicep movements

some SS cardio after each WO

seem ok?

I find I have to lift (what at least seems) massive weight for DB rows to do anything. My BORs are upto 60kg, but my one arm DB rows are upto 40kg each hand. :/

a BB does lots for restricting ROM.
DBs dont. make sure you are set for the rep, then complete the rep, not too much back twisting, not too fast.
2 seconds up, 4 seconds down.

see how that affects the DB weight you use :]

Ankle is still a little oops, grrr so frustrating.
However I went along with my legs workout yesterday, I've decided to drop the free weight exercise weights right down to roughly 50% of what they used to be as I've not trained for quie a while and want to slowly build and ensure form is prime.

5 Mins on cross trainer
3x8 240lb Leg Press
3x8 50KG Squats (arse to ankles, down from 110KG)
3x8 60KG DLs (down from 90KG)
3x8 130lb Leg Curls
3x8 120lb Leg Extensions
3x8 Back Hyperextensions (with 15KG)
10 Minutes stretching
10 Minutes on the bag

Not really aching today, I think I've dropped the Squats/DLs down too much.

Got a bike ride today, from Cardiff centre to Castell Coch along the taff. Should be nice if the weather stays sunny!

careful with the masked swearing. FF.

Read this article on t-nation recently and decided to give it a go seeing as i wanted to do some volume.

Started today as it leg day :D

Squats(ATG):
60k x10 x10 x10 x10 x10 x10 x8 x7 x5 x5

Lunge:
2x15k x10 x10 x10 x10

Calf on LP:
88x15
97x15
106x15

Doing that many squats was a killer but i think the weight was just a bit to light, the article said 65% of your 1RM

Im only doing it on squats and deadlifts.

Has anyone ever done GVT before? Any thoughts or advice?

If you were taking two scoops of whey a day and BCAA's before and after a workout how would you split the scoops of whey?

At the moment I have one scoop an hour before I train with the BCAA's, and then one immediatley after with BCAA's is this okay? What it suggests on the tub. I was wondering if two scoops PWO and nothing before might be better? or a different(food) source of protein before WO followed buy two scoops PWO?

Thanks

Hey, I am trying to do more squats and deadlifts but at a weight where I can actually feel anything in my legs, my hands get really sore holding the dumb-bells. They have these horrid rubber dotted grips round the bar section. Is it worth getting gloves, will that help?

Had a bit of an everything day at the gym today and tried HC2PP for the first time my god I thought I was going to fall over there a lot more intense than I thought they would be

Had a bit of an everything day at the gym today and tried HC2PP for the first time my god I thought I was going to fall over there a lot more intense than I thought they would be

I think Chong will back me up on this, but you're doing it with too much weight. When I first started doing those I was doing it light enough to be able to do 10-15 reps, so you learn how to actually do the move first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom