Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess what you guys think to be strict form is back against the wall. This chap wasn't doing that so I'm guessing some form of momentum from his back was involved because he did struggle for the last 2 reps.

Unfortunately a lot of the Polish guys hardly speak a word of english, not enough to have a conversation anyways.

Slightly off topic, I managed to break my PB for shrugs on Sunday, 75kg each hand for 4 reps. Considering I'm just weighing in at 162lbs at the moment its quite impressive for me.

Any of you guys use liquid chalk? I find it very hard to grip the larger dumbells even when using straps.

Yea that's a good weight if it was quite strict mate (I see far too many people doing shrugs with their back and legs doing half the work). I haven't used liquid chalk but I did use the normal block the other day for rack pulls and it was amazing to be honest. My hands are naturally sweaty when training but with the chalk my hands didn't slip at all! Very good stuff.

I guess what you guys think to be strict form is back against the wall. This chap wasn't doing that so I'm guessing some form of momentum from his back was involved because he did struggle for the last 2 reps.

Well no....Good form is just isolating the correct muscles and not using the rest of you're body to lift the weight for you :p

Hey guys, first things first want to say a big thanks to Ultra_Extreme and Freefaller in particular who advised me on my pretty poor workout plan a few months back. The new plan is way better and I am starting to see some decent results now.

Quick question for you guys though. In an effort to continue bulking but bearing in mind I'm trying to minimise the percentage of fat I put on compared to lean muscle, is there a formula I can use to work out how many carbs I need to be consuming on a daily basis. I've been sticking to the protein formula of 2g protein for every kg of weight, is there something similar for carbs? Also, can you guys give me some examples of foods that contain high GI carbs and low GI carbs?

Quick question for you guys though. In an effort to continue bulking but bearing in mind I'm trying to minimise the percentage of fat I put on compared to lean muscle, is there a formula I can use to work out how many carbs I need to be consuming on a daily basis. I've been sticking to the protein formula of 2g protein for every kg of weight, is there something similar for carbs? Also, can you guys give me some examples of foods that contain high GI carbs and low GI carbs?
I'm sure for protein all you need is 1-1.5grams per lb lean body mass after reading a thread earlier.. (Thread title :Protein Intake)
Edit actually sorry I think they're the same thing. I need to start doing some more cardio, haven't done any in the gym in a while but I need to start doing some running outside.

I'm sure for protein all you need is 1-1.5grams per lb lean body mass after reading a thread earlier.. (Thread title :Protein Intake)
Edit actually sorry I think they're the same thing. I need to start doing some more cardio, haven't done any in the gym in a while but I need to start doing some running outside.

Lol yeah was about to say, 1g protein per lb is going to work out similar to 2g protein for every kg. I haven't done any cardio in weeks now because I haven't played football for a while. I get concerned that too much cardio is going to be counter productive for my bulking goals but at the same time I don't want to have poor cardio fitness!

Personally I keep a ratio of 1:1. Some people like a protein bias of 2:1 though.

I've eaten roughly 350 grams of carbs for the past six months and I've lost a bit of fat while at the same time gaining reasonable amounts of mass, I'm now constant at a roughly ~15% bodyfat. (~100kg bodyweight)
I do have a 5 day split and although I only train each group once a week I've got 5 reasonably intense 1 hour sessions. Depending on your lifestyle, amount of cardio work and daily calorie consumption you can increase or decrease that.

medium to low gi carbs: most pasta, rice, brown rice, potatoes, couscous, oats, wholemeal stuff.

fruit have simple carbs but because of the fibers in them they absorb reasonably slow so they're ok. (bananas and grapes go fast tho)

fast absorbing carbs: bananas, grapes, jams, white bread, sugar and anything rich in sugar, etc.

Last edited:
Thinking of changing up my squat day big time - My strength is still going up on bench and maintaining with deadlift but my squat is dropping like an altar boy's kacks in the vatican. To be fair I'm losing bodyfat steadily but it's frustrating seeing my squat which was already weak get even worse!

Been trying out pistols so I think I'm going to introduce them more regularly. Pavel maintains if you do them daily your leg strength will explode. Worth a try methinks

Thinking of changing up my squat day big time - My strength is still going up on bench and maintaining with deadlift but my squat is dropping like an altar boy's kacks in the vatican. To be fair I'm losing bodyfat steadily but it's frustrating seeing my squat which was already weak get even worse!

Been trying out pistols so I think I'm going to introduce them more regularly. Pavel maintains if you do them daily your leg strength will explode. Worth a try methinks

pistols?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom