Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody suggest a good alternative to DB Lunges? Recently, due to incorrect form no doubt, they have been causing a mild spasm at the back of my neck on the last set. This now has begun to interfere with other lifts, so much so that I've decided to take the rest of the week off to rest :( .

I really don't like the idea of Barbell lunges, as it is not possible to fail safely. What would be a good alternative? Currently leg day consists of :-
Squats
1x8 x 50
1x8 x 80
3x8 x 110 (slow)
3x8 x 90 (fast)
1x20 x 50

Calf raise
Stack + 20kg 3x10

Lunges
3x8 x 52kg (2x26kg DB)

45 deg Leg press
1x8 x 100
1x8 x 150
3x8 x 200

What could be swapped in for the lunges, that performs a similar role?

Nate

Nate,

Try split squats (very similar) or bulgarian split squats. Perhaps one-legged leg press.

Sounds to me like your traps are weak. Do you do any row movements or pulling from the floor (deadlifts?)

Traps are ok I think, Upright row is 50, DL is 130 and, Shrug is 140 all 3x8. I'm fairly certain it is bad form with the last reps of the last set of lunges causing it (ie leading with the head rather than having the whole back rigid).

Thanks for the tips i'll check em out.

Nate

Your traps shouldn't be a problem then at all really.

Possibly is the form, split squats focus on one leg and should be a diagonal movement rather than up and down.

Possibly just the form slippng on the end like you said, your back should remain vertical throughout the entire movement as i'm sure you know :)

Had a big moment yesterday, managed 3 squats at 100kg in my last set, which is over 150% of bw for me. Was actually surprised how much harder it was than 95, and I'm really gonna have to keep a close eye on my form.

Feels like a major landmark, now I just have to get my normal sets to that weight! :)

I am really struggling with my grip, any advice?

I'm loosing grip on a third set of 3x8 70KG DLs which is terrible, I know I can do much more as I've handled 90KG before.

I am really struggling with my grip, any advice?

I'm loosing grip on a third set of 3x8 70KG DLs which is terrible, I know I can do much more as I've handled 90KG before.

whats causing the problems? is it that the bars are crap or are your hands really sweaty, or, is it a strength problem?

grip training is probably what you want to be doing, be it with grippers or just doing static plate holds :]

Quick question.

I have recently started bodybuilding and am noticing more progress. I have always been quite thin and also not very hairy. Now I am doing exercise and eating more I am definitely getting more hairy (bum fluff on my chest where there was none before). Not that this is a bad thing as I do need to man up but I just thought it seemed more than a coincidence.

Perhaps it is my body deciding it is a good idea to grow hair now I am not malnourished or maybe the extra testosterone from pumping iron...

I hope I don't go bald. :(

unfortunately, testostorone makes body hair grow, and at the same time accelerates the rate at which you start becoming bald. (which would have happened anyway because of genetics, only a bit later). this obviously happens only to people with the "right genetics".
probably the only disadvantage of lifting. (that and buying bigger clothes lol)

How do you know if you had the genes? I was told by a science teacher years ago that it depended on your mothers father, but apparently that is a myth, I was hoping it wasn't as he had a full head of hair till the day he died. How can you tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom