Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is, and it is just coincidence that I have begun losing hair at the same time as training. :) However, there is the correlation that hair needs protein, muscles need protein.. when muscles need more protein, hair gets less protein. :)

Then I shall eat 400g a day, anything to keep my hair.. If I lose it I'll look gayer than Neil's dad of the inbetweeners :(

So what?! Nothing wrong with going bald. Besides it's linked to your mother's father's side anyway.

I was getting a bit worried till I read this, thankfully my mums dad has a full head of hair. Anyone got any comments on the following split:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday:Legs/calves
Wednesday:Back
Thursday:Rest (Or cardio)
Friday:Biceps/Triceps
Saturday: Shoulders/traps (Then ~20 minutes medium intensity cardio afterwards?)
Sunday:Rest (or cardio

I'm looking at doing 4 exercises per musclegroup 5 sets of 6 or 4 sets of 8 (Is it alright to switch in and out between sets week by week?)
And I'll probably switch around what days I do abs (Eg doing them on days I want to be in longer).

Last edited:
Wait till you're knocking on 30, you'll be happy. By then if you're training hard you will have built up a lot of muscle density and will look significantly better than you do now. So don't worry about hair, and don't worry about how you look now, because you're lucky you've all started training early so you have plenty of good things to come. I reckon by 35 I'm going to look hench and significant.

I already have a grade 2 shaved head anyway so I'm not going to stress about something I can't change. How old are you mate? At 100k, 6ft and quite lean you are already hench ;) I can't imagine how I will look at 30, but it will never be big enough :p

You really are an animal, I'm quite pleased with my 240odd. Give me a few years and I might get close

You can do it, you just have to push yourself and give yourself time to do it properly. Don't bite off more than you can chew. It's taken me several years. So don't worry. :)

Believe it and do it mate. I'm aiming for 200lbs or more and still lean.

200lbs is a good weight. My next weight aim is to lean out a bit, but maintain 220lbs.

whats causing the problems? is it that the bars are crap or are your hands really sweaty, or, is it a strength problem?

grip training is probably what you want to be doing, be it with grippers or just doing static plate holds :]

I have small hands and poor forearm strength, it's oly bars I'm having the problems with!

Think I'm gonna have to chuck in some static plate holds into my off day!

I could really do with some advice on this . .

Last week it was my 5x5 week, first day went great! Que second day which consisted of Squat, Front Squat, Leg Curl and Leg Ext.

The squats started of great, on my last set I got to 120kg for 3 reps (no support). I decided to try for 130kg in addition whilst I was on a role. I got down parallel but coming up I wasn't going to quite make it so I just let it slowly go on the power rack. On to front squats I hit 85kg for 5 (PB). During the last set I felt a sharp twang on my back. I felt sore over the couple of days as you do with your heaviest squats. When it came to my last day for the week (chest) it went okish gained a PB for bench but after that my left shoulder was playing with me, so I cut my training short for Friday last week.

I trained on tuesday alternating back to 4x10 and I found it pretty difficult as my left shoulder wasn't taking much. So I finished off on a fairly lightly for the day.

I went to play badminton yesterday, had some intense games, felt pretty sore from getting owned. I went to do legs today and I took it fairly easy. I did the following:

Squat - 60KG X 10
80KG X 10
90KG X 10
100KG X 6 (goal was 9/10)

At this point I had stitch both sides and I was pouring with sweat. I then went on to front squats just repping out and after completing all my sets I was quite frankly dead.

I've never felt so exhausted over the past few months. I had trouble cooling down, walking to my car and driving back! I had the jelliest legs!

Because I've struggled on a light week the question is . . would it be ideal to take a week off? The last time I had a week off was 14 weeks ago. Or would it be better to go in and do circuit style training with lighter weights?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

I forgot to add there I reduced my calorie intake over the last 3 weeks.

Not on as in it's too soon to take some time off?

It would be for me mate yes. I try and just eat up and have a nice rest in the evening then go back at it. I wouldn't be doing the badmington or anything like that either though. But like I say do what you feel is best. Reducing your cals will not be helping things, giving you less energy and making it harder to repair so play it by ear.

Heya lads, (me again :o)

Just wanted to ask a question about squats, I told you all about my little mishap last week, and it is leg day again to day.

My problem is that I workout at home and I don't have the cash or space for a squat rack right now and my lazy brother isn't in the mood for helping me with getting the weight up on my shoulders and spotting me. Therefore I was just wondering if dumbbells could be used to squat with as effectively as a bar bell? This way I don't have to lift the weight over my head and also I can drop them if the strain is too much.

Would this work?

Cheers

Thanks, the BB Hack Squat looks like it could also solve my problem and help me mix up my routine a bit. Thanks for all the help on this and numerous other issues morba :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom