Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm still not sure if I'm doing them right, bit over paranoid about form maybe. Well I'll try and up it next time, such a noob at this.

Last edited:
Yeah i was the same with deadlifts when i started, I really don't want to be injured so if i start light an a new exercise and get it right then so be it.

110KG is hardly light, depending on your bodyweight to some extent but still.

You're far more likely to injure yourself doing that then dumbbell rows. Are you kneeling on a bench or doing them basically just stood up but bent over?

It's all about form with dumbbell rows. I deadlift about 80kg and at first I had about 20kg on my dumbbell for bent over rows. Then I tried them without using my bicep at all and had to go down to 12.5kg, but that's with very good form maintained throughout all of the sets. Which reminds me, I should increase the weight a little since I can complete all of the sets at this weight...

110KG is hardly light, depending on your bodyweight to some extent but still.

You're far more likely to injure yourself doing that then dumbbell rows. Are you kneeling on a bench or doing them basically just stood up but bent over?

I'm Kneeling on the bench, my body weight is 88kg. I seem to struggle with everything from bench press to the rows. I can squat 120kg, my max deadlift is 130kg for 5, but i struggle to bench 50kg. I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 since last November and wanted to give a bodybuilding routine a try.

Last edited:
I just got back from doing my back workout and this conversation made me think maybe I should really push myself today, and I did 75 kg and failed in the 4th set on the 6th rep, so I'm pretty happy with that. At least I know my limit now and I can work on improving that :D

That bench press does seem awfully low burtieb1, at 88kg I would think that your a lot more muscular than me (74kg 6ft2" so I'm scrawny :() and I bench 50kg for my normal sets at the mo, my max is about 72 to 73kg.

Gymrats thread on the 2nd page :eek: :p

Anyway, just pulled a rather large muscle in my neck today, totally spontaneous, I just turned my neck quickly and bam it went. This has meant I can only turn my head one way; all this during exams :(.

A quick question, my chest I feel is where I am lacking and so I want to add as much mass there. I do a 3 day split (mon wed fri) with a chest/tris day on wed and then on top of the split I do a drop set bench press session on the sunday. Could I add more chest in the week or is that overdoing it?

Another thing, when doing benchpress I only ever feel my left side of my chest under strain as I do the pushing movement, I've asked my brother to really look at my form and can't see anything wrong with it. Could there be any other reason for this because it really bugs me.

help every time i attempt Deadlifts I seem to pull something a muslce to left of my lower back.

did it a few weeks back, rested it and attempted today and have pulled it again is this down to poor form can i improve that side of my body to help me deadlift ?

warm up properly before.
do lighter weights for the next weeks and focus on strict form. Ex, strat with 40kg first set, then 50kg, then 60kg, etc. you can start with a higher weight if you're stronger/more confident, but it's always a god technique to start with a lower weight on the first set and build it up gradually.
always look straight ahead, and back must be always straight (actually arched on the outside)

I get this sometime, I find the magical vibraplate (if your gym has one) usually helps.

4 to 10 minutes 3 times a week can also clear your lymph glands, burn fat, 'tone you up', make you feel younger, reduce your cellulite and make you happy. As well as being equal to an hour and a half of working out with weights.... yeah right.

Back to the real world, and it does seem to help after deads.

Im into my 10th week dieting and have so far lost 4.5" on my waist and 2st 10lbs. Now stepping it up and adding an ECA Stack
I got the diet and training plan from james's company healthy action over on MT, so diet is very good.
But i feel "flat" and i still feel chubby and dont look that much more defined (mirror in the house is crap) but the one in the boxing gym i look half decent.
Is it normal to feel a bit crappy/small/weak and feel that you dont look much different?

Yes, also depends how much carbs you're taking. If you've been low on them for a while have a carb up day- it's good mentally and physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom