*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Soldato
Same here my one is out for delivery too! :D TNT's tracking is rubbish....now fingers crossed Apple don't decide to recall them!

My iPhone4 was delivered this afternoon and I'm in the process of restoring my apps etc. What a difference coming from a 3G the screen is just superb! Once the restore has finished I'll apply the 4.01 iOS update.

Soldato
My signal at home is much the same as Bobbo's: 5 bars reported but quickly drops to 2. Death-gripping drops to 1 bar and edge.

Just read Anand's latest piece, full of shiny graphs and lots and lots and lots of words ;) Looks like it's a much saner way of reporting the signal.

And my update's just finished: Hovers between 3 and 4 bars sitting on my desk, death-gripping drops that to 1 bar and edge, same as before.

Associate
So, I haven't upgraded firmware yet as I'm at work. But I just did a couple of speed tests.

Phone on table, 5 bars of 3G signal:
Download 2.08 mbps
Upload 1.54 mbps

Phone in hand, full on death grip for 2 mins prior, with 1 bar 3G showing:
Download 2.09 mbps
Upload 1.21 mbps

I did four or five death grip tets back to back all with pretty much the same results.

So I then did another full bars test with phone on the table and got:

Download 2.80 mbps
Upload 1.53 mbps

And then went back to another death grip test, this time with:

Download 0.15 mbps
Upload 0.17 mbps

Did a couple more of these, and releasing the phone mid test would see figures jump up suddenly before test was over, so clearly signal being blocked.

Not really sure what to make of that. First indication was regardless of the bars I was getting roughly the same results, second test shows that death grip was indeed a death grip!

I think this is my long winded way of saying I do not think this new firmware will 'really' do much other than have a placebo effect.

Either way, I love my iP4 and the signal issue has never once ruined my use of the phone in normal conditions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Good to hear that the fix has somewhat relieved the situation...better than nothing i suppose

Indeed, its certainly helped.

As someone on Engadget said - 'I only have one bar now, ah well, at least its taller I suppose...' :p

cant update get stuck where it contact apple to update says it busy

Probably because everyone is furiously trying to update at the said time, just keep trying.

Soldato
Just read Anand's latest piece, full of shiny graphs and lots and lots and lots of words ;) Looks like it's a much saner way of reporting the signal.
A good read and update of their previous review.
The new bar tolerances are pretty much what I expected - an improved spread over the lower and mid range.

iPhoneSignal_both.jpg

Soldato
I can still make it go to No Service after the update, but home is in quite a weak signal area. Need to test at work where I always got full 3G.

Despite that, it does seem slightly better, which isn't what I was expecting so bonus.

Soldato
I have updated to 4.0.1!!

And just like has been said, the bars are taller and it reports 1 bar where it used to report 5 bars. And guess what, still drops 3G as soon as you hold it the wrong way!

Man of Honour
I'm looking forward to the Apple press conference tomorrow, will they stare everyone in the face and say there is no design flaw with the antenna? :p

Back
Top Bottom