*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Soldato
Not a noticeably different one from the outside, some people even think the White Ip4 coming 30th July will have a built in insulator! Apple isn't going to tell anyone of any hardware changes as it doesn't want to swap out 3M ip4s!

I think you should read your post again. "Some people are saying" and "Apple isn't going to tell anyone". So where are these people getting their information from?

After the 30th, that's the deadline for free cases, not the start a new version of the iPhone 4. From the 30th, Apple expect you to know about the problem, so you either buy a case with the phone if you're going to use it left handed in a low signal area or switch hands when needed.

Soldato
Another question is IF the design is changed post Sept 30th and you claim your free case, would it forfeit your ability to exchange your handset on the basis of antenna problems?

I have a 32Gb iPhone bought from Apple and I can replicate the issue if I try but during normal usage in either hand it works fine and I don't go out of my way to hold it differently.

I'm guessing so + the return has to be made within 30 days. Sept 30th is more than 30 days away :p

Soldato
Another question is IF the design is changed post Sept 30th and you claim your free case, would it forfeit your ability to exchange your handset on the basis of antenna problems?

I have a 32Gb iPhone bought from Apple and I can replicate the issue if I try but during normal usage in either hand it works fine and I don't go out of my way to hold it differently.

Good point!! Didn't think of that one :eek:

Soldato
I work for a telco and we have a cell on the roof of our building, and I can still get the iPhone 4 to drop signal dramatically. My 3GS is fine.

Isn't that just showing how rubbish O2's phone network is? ;)

However I try with my iPhone 4 the signal doesn't drop when connected to a Vodafone Sure Signal, or even sat here with 5 bars of EDGE from the main Vodafone network.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm guessing by 30th of Sept there is going to be some form of change, a slight coat over the antenna to help with signal or maybe even as dramatic as moving it to the top of the device.
It could be as simple as a Bumper is included with every iPhone sold after the 30th September...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Q: On the free bumpers. That goes until Sept. 30th; is that because by Sept. 30th, people should just know the phone has issues?

A: No, that just gives us time to reexamine. Maybe people will be less focused on this problem; maybe we'll have a better idea.

Soldato
I think you should read your post again. "Some people are saying" and "Apple isn't going to tell anyone". So where are these people getting their information from?

After the 30th, that's the deadline for free cases, not the start a new version of the iPhone 4. From the 30th, Apple expect you to know about the problem, so you either buy a case with the phone if you're going to use it left handed in a low signal area or switch hands when needed.

I agree with what you say 100%. :)

However, I think you will probably find (based on no evidence at all - so feel free to dismiss it) that just like a car goes through constant updates to parts, so will the iP4, probably sooner rather than later just to fix this 'problem' (that people like you probably deny even exists)!

Soldato
I work for a telco and we have a cell on the roof of our building, and I can still get the iPhone 4 to drop signal dramatically. My 3GS is fine.

That may be the case, but with the i4s I've played with 3 bar drop is the greatest i've seen from 5 bars!

I hold my phone with one finger when im in a low signal area so this issue would not affect me in the slightest!

I've covered the whole 3GS pretty much with my hands without any noticeable loss in signal.

You can do it, but depends on the time and the place! If your in a very, VERY high signal area nothing will happen.

The new software update shows a single bar drop when I hold it now, from 3 bars to 4 bars(which used to be 5 bars with no change before the update - seems my rough signal level is -90dB here.)

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with what you say 100%. :)

However, I think you will probably find (based on no evidence at all - so feel free to dismiss it) that just like a car goes through constant updates to parts, so will the iP4, probably sooner rather than later just to fix this 'problem' (that people like you probably deny even exists)!

If they do change it, sites like iFixit will post about it and people would notice that bridging the antenna doesn't cause the signal to drop. So that would cause a bigger upset which I'm sure they'd want to avoid.

People like me?

Soldato
If they do change it, sites like iFixit will post about it and people would notice that bridging the antenna doesn't cause the signal to drop. So that would cause a bigger upset which I'm sure they'd want to avoid.

People like me?

Don't agree with that. Depends on how many Ip4s Apple have projected to sell in its selling window, i.e. 3 million iphones might not be a huge amount of the total they sell, and they will certainly want the majority of customers to be using one that doesnt drop signal! Hence implement changes and if early adopters have a problem then come in store and get it swopped out (under the 1 yr warranty not 30 day refund!).

People who have an Apple signature usually a signal of fanboi-ism! I know my sig is! ;)

Back
Top Bottom