*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Associate
Apple + free bumpers

Apple have finally acknowledged that the new iphone 4 has issues with it's signal when held. Their solution to this is to offer a 'free' bumper to its customers. I could be wrong here but I'm sure when I first saw the iphone 4 available for sale that these bumpers were being sold as a seperate accessory, what I found curious was what an unusual accessory to sell on it's first day. With that in mind, isn't it strange that this unusual accessory just happens to be the exact thing they are now giving away for free. Was Apple aware of this fault BEFORE it's release!

Soldato
So with Apple admitting yesterday that the iPhone 4 has an hardware fault it looks like us consumers have grounds to cancel our 24 month contracts. :)
Yeah I was wondering too, is this grounds to return our contracted iPhone?
If the problem is really affecting your call experience then return the phone for a refund, as per the info given yesterday.

And they sell it for about £25 :eek:
Welcome to the world of retail ;)

Caporegime
If the problem is really affecting your call experience then return the phone for a refund, as per the info given yesterday.

I think people's concerns are more with having signed up for £40 per month contracts for 2 years and not knowing whether these can be cancelled. Apple offering refunds is subtly yet importantly different to providers allowing contract cancellations.

As yet, i'm not aware of a concrete yes or no answer on this subject from anyone.

Even Apple only went so far as to say they 'think' AT&T will allow this.

Soldato
I absolutely agree that there's a design flaw and there is a problem with the antenna, what i don't agree with is that it renders the phone unusable. I can live with making a phone call with 2 bars signal instead of 4, as long as the call doesn't drop then i'm a happy chappy :)

Same as you matey :) The phone has a design flaw which previous Apple phones haven't had to the extend of people dropping calls/ getting the no service issue but since the patch this hasn't been happen to myself as much and Apple has given all of their customers the choice to return the phone if they are unhappy or a little incentive with a free case to help rectify the problem and keep customers :)

I think Apple have done a good job with the compensation choices and have put a good amount of effort and thought into fixing the problem without cause a recall and re-manufacturing/repairing 3 million phones. My only gripe with them is trying to avoid the physical problem of the device and saying that every phone has this issue, which they do but not to the same extent to the iPhone 4.

Good on them for actually compensating their customers though and trying to keep everyone happy from returns to free cases, that is a very bold move by any company.

Man of Honour
What rubbish, actually buy one, own one, use one. You'll find using it in the normal way brings about no problems what so ever.

Can anyone tell me the exact moment how many bars showing on the display became such a thing for devices?...so long as ther WAS a connection and not saying searching all the time!

Actually, for a lot of people it does bring about some daily problems, just maybe not for you.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
BlizzardX said:
I would not be happy with getting a phone that required a 'case' to make it work effectively in some situations, which we will all find ourselves at some point,

Where people get this notion from? I've had a ip4 now for about 2 weeks, use it all of the country with work and have NEVER been in this situation? My iPhone always has as many bars as my bberry and I haven't dropped a call. I dropped more on my 3G than this. People seem to put invisible barriers up, but that's your prerogative. I'm so pleased with mine u bought my wife one and she's giddy over how good it's been. I can invoke the drop, but keep my calls. And besides if I do find myself in that situation all I'll do is adjust my grip.

Speaking of grip o find I put my little finger over the mic more, but wouldn't complain

Last edited:
Caporegime
One thing I noticed from that conference.

Near the start he says they started to investigate and 'found out' that all smartphones have this issue.

Later on he claims 'we knew if you held it in a certain way, the bars are gonna go down a little bit, just like every smartphone, we didn't think it'd be a big problem because every smartphone has this issue'

So which is it, did you know all this beforehand or did you just discover that other phones do it in the last 3 weeks?

Soldato
They should be recalling the phones and putting in place a coating or alteration within the phone to reduce the effect. Perhaps Toyota should have followed this kind of bs approach and just offered customers more airbags for free in case their accelerator sticking problems caused anyone any difficulty.... Lol.

Associate
Personally, I'm pretty happy with Apple's handling of this and after just watching the recording of Jobs' conference yesterday am quite satisfied by the actions being taken.

The only thing I'm confused by is why 4.01 is over 500mb!? Why so large?

Caporegime
Its amusing that Jobs thinks that its a small number of people having problems. Just wait to see how many free cases get snapped up just for the sake of it. :p

Soldato
And they sell it for about £25 :eek:

It's just a bit of rubber, they probably cost less to make than that. You also have to bare in mind that Apple weren't making their own iPhone cases before the iPhone 4, so it's not like the sale of cases were something they were relying on as forecast revenue, it was something that would make them a little extra money.

Soldato
Personally, I'm pretty happy with Apple's handling of this and after just watching the recording of Jobs' conference yesterday am quite satisfied by the actions being taken.

The only thing I'm confused by is why 4.01 is over 500mb!? Why so large?

I'm no expert, but isn't entire firmware/OS changed everytime a new update is put on. While the update change may be small, the entire thing has to be replaced.

Associate
Yeah good point. That's why then. I always query firmware update sizes and then remember that it's not the same principle as patches on a desktop.

Caporegime
One thing I noticed from that conference.

Near the start he says they started to investigate and 'found out' that all smartphones have this issue.

Later on he claims 'we knew if you held it in a certain way, the bars are gonna go down a little bit, just like every smartphone, we didn't think it'd be a big problem because every smartphone has this issue'

So which is it, did you know all this beforehand or did you just discover that other phones do it in the last 3 weeks?

Personally I think they knew about it well before the phone shipped, hence the introduction of the bumper which conveniently just happens to cover the problem area and no more.

Back
Top Bottom