*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Caporegime
Could it be a network carrier setting somewhere?

How is it that you can't send SMS? The composer is just the text box right... or is it that SMS arrive as MMS?

EDIT:

Disclaimer - I've not tried any of these codes myself, so no idea if they will help you!

If you're receiving a sending error, you could try the following codes to set the T-mobile SMS centre number (+447958879879):

**5005*7672*+447958879879#

I presume the +44 prefix is fine, otherwise replace it with a zero. Also some users report just using a single * at the beginning.

Seems you can also view the current setting with *#5005*7672#

Tried those codes but nothing happens...just gives me a success message but when i go into my message and try to compose an sms text it still comes up as a mms message which then sends as mms.

Associate
Tried those codes but nothing happens...just gives me a success message but when i go into my message and try to compose an sms text it still comes up as a mms message which then sends as mms.

Bit confused. When you compose said message does it say "new message" or "new mms"?

Soldato

you tried turning show subject field off?

Settings -> messages -> show subject field off.

Associate
I'm somewhat confused as the message composition screen looks the same whether I intend to send an SMS or MMS. It only becomes an MMS when I add an image or media file - I wouldn't know it was an MMS otherwise.

Caporegime
Bit confused. When you compose said message does it say "new message" or "new mms"?

New MMS...when u go into the message app...it comes up with new message as the heading then you put the contacts name into the name field...then theres a small box with Subject and on the lower left is a camera icon...once you have put in the subject and then go to type out the message...it changes to new MMS at the top.

Caporegime
you tried turning show subject field off?

Settings -> messages -> show subject field off.

No i have it set to on...maybe thats why its confusing me somewhat because according to Tmo i have all the settings in the phone.

I'm somewhat confused as the message composition screen looks the same whether I intend to send an SMS or MMS. It only becomes an MMS when I add an image or media file - I wouldn't know it was an MMS otherwise.

LOL ok maybe im just not getting it...i was under the impression that its 2 separate things ie mms and sms like most other phones....but if i send a message but do not add any images or multimedia files to my other phone then it comes up as mms on my other phone whether or not i send a multimedia file or not.

Soldato
front page on modmyi
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/723783-ios-update-imminent-back-up-your-shsh-blobs-anyway.html

Unsubstantiated rumors are flying around the interwebs about iOS 4.0.2 and iOS 3.2.2 (or 4.1/3.3, whatever) updates to be released within hours that will close the PDF hole and root escalation bug that made jailbreakMe possible. No idea if it's true, but we know that Apple claims to have an upgrade in the pipeline, and no less of a personage than the Dev-Team's @cpich3g hints that it's about to drop, so better safe than sorry.

Obviously, if you're prompted to update firmware, don't do it. But to avoid any possibility of losing your jailbreak and apps, back up your SHSH blobs now if you haven't already done so, before the saving window closes

Soldato
its out now, 4.0.2
if you dont want to loose the jailbreak DONT update to 4.0.2
make sure you have itunes setup so it doesnt auto update !!

Associate
LOL ok maybe im just not getting it...i was under the impression that its 2 separate things ie mms and sms like most other phones....but if i send a message but do not add any images or multimedia files to my other phone then it comes up as mms on my other phone whether or not i send a multimedia file or not.

I think if you enter anything into the subject field it becomes an MMS, just like adding pictures, etc.

Try turning off the subject field option, or just leaving it blank and it should just send as an SMS.

Caporegime
Wierdly I cant find any SMS setting when going through the Phone settings only MMS, so you maybe right. AFAIK to initiate a MMS you select the file first and opt to send it via MMS, rather than go into the 'MMS app' and attach the file

I think SMS/MMS operation for the iPhone is entirely transparent which isnt that surprising considering the protocols involved...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
I think if you enter anything into the subject field it becomes an MMS, just like adding pictures, etc.

Try turning off the subject field option, or just leaving it blank and it should just send as an SMS.
Ah yeah, thats jogged my memory - basically SMS is just a field of text so to use an option like Subject it has send as an MMS. Theres no such thing as a subject line for normal SMS IIRC...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime

Yep that seems to have done it...turned subject field off and i can now send sms texts....strange way of doing it though i have to admit.

Cheers to all that helped:)

Associate
You were doing it wrong. The "subject" box is actually split into two horizontally. Top portion is the subject (if text is entered here it becomes an mms), and the bottom half is the message itself.

So to send a regular SMS you would just enter contact and the lower section of the text box.

As has been mentioned already though, much simpler to turn off "subject" box (mine was by default). This means a message is sent as an mms only if you chose an attachment and actually select to send as mms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom