1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by subbytna, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ANDREW GREEN

Gangster

If the benchmarks hold weight across the board (not saying they will), then the $380 Navi 5700 may match the 2070, especially as drivers mature.

2. Martini1991

Caporegime

You've been full on AMD defense mode since Navi reveal.

You've compared it to Zen 1 for Christ sake. When it's not even close to that.

There's no bigger picture. All we've got is a good performance mid tier card at a poor price point. The same poor price points that have seen Turing get hammered.

If Navi comes out and it's 2080 beating performance, that has absolutely no bearing on the current situation as card releases are taken in isolation at the time of launch.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:13 AM
  3. Kirby Wurm

Hitman

Ah, fantastic! Now we just need a new Conflict: Freespace!

4. Besty

Mobster

it is a necessary step in order to get volume going on 7nm products.

The real goal is to get these chips into laptops and set-top boxes at volume then prices will come down

The early chips are always more expensive.
    Oh the irony.

Nvidia needs to focus on not ripping off its customer base.

Fine, do a product comparison but Nvidia have as much chance as me upgrading all my 1080/ti based gear for new 2080/ti based hardware as Birmingham City winning the champions league.

Who is Navi aimed at? it is aimed at people like myself who bought a custom 1080ti for £800 and will not pay £1600 for the like for like upgrade. Same for all my other gear, Nvidia have lost their minds.

Don’t mind if the AMD Navi desktop parts are a little hotter, the 2080ti is not exactly fuel efficient.

5. Grim5

Hitman

Ironic, considering it has the best performance per watt on any gpu for sale today, doesn’t that make it the most fuel efficient?

6. LeMson

Wise Guy

Navi would be a side/downgrade grade for you as a 1080ti owner O_o

7. Besty

Mobster

The market has shifted since 2011, although I still run a liquid-cooled rig, the market has shifted to mobile gaming and consoles - including my own habits. Every GPU i run is an Nvidia GPU. Including my shield, I have 7 of them.

It is ironic because even though the AMD will be hotter than the Nvidia chips, the 7nm AMD CPU will even up the total system power draw, the Nvidia slides do not account for this.

It is useless to me if can't run one (2080 desktop GPU) inside an upgraded Alienware laptop, with an Intel CPU, without it looking like a scene out of Superman 3 when the chemical factory melts through the floor.

We have a real problem of cost and heat getting totally out of hand, Intel and Nvidia have been asleep at the wheel AMD is providing a welcome wake-up call. I really want to see a complete 7nm AMD system and see what it can do.

8. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

Navi is a huge 1080ti downgrade.

9. Phate

Caporegime

My plan is, subject to review, to build a 7nm rig, 3900x with R7900XT :)

I bet I am not the only one on the forum either.

10. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

I don't get this at all. The angst at Nvidia and their prices fair enough.... But to me it looks like AMD are offering equivalent cards to NV mid range at a similar price but with fewer features.. and that is BEFORE the coming price cuts and the super cards which look to raise the bar esp the SUPER RTX 2060 which I think could be a really nice card.
    To me AMD are pricing just as bad as NV but with fewer features and 6-9 months later.
    At least NV are looking to bring in new features.
    As for replacing your 1080ti with a Navi... No offence intended but are you mad?

By the time AMD get their next Navi cards out after these NV will surely be onto the RTX 2nd generation which if 7nm could be proper decent cards I hope. I would love the red team to tpt me but it looks to me they do not have the feature set OR the cost to get back the mindshare

11. sparkymark75

Wise Guy

nVidia have introduced DLSS and Ray Tracing. AMD are introducing Anti-Lag and Fidelity FX.

Whether any of those features are worthwhile on either card is up to you to decide and depends on what games you play. FPS palyers may prefer the Anti-Lag feature. Players that typically play more single player campaigns, may prefer DLSS or Ray Tracing.

12. Besty

Mobster

sure, it may be now but you have to look at things in a longer perspective, as long as AMD stick to their delivery roadmap they will have a total system upgrade with 7nm parts ready for me to choose from by this time next year.

Alienware Laptop and custom Desktop.

I will not be buying a £1,200-£1,600 GPU i abjectly refuse to do so.

This mess with the 9900k and 2080ti is what no competition gets you into. Hot, expensive turkeys.

13. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

I am probably wrong here but isn't fast sync nvidias anti lag feature which has been working for a couple of years in Maxwell and later?.

You are correct however I do have a bias (we all do) not against AMD but I am almost a pure single player / PvE coop player so don't really worry about things to give a competitive edge.

BTW again I must be wrong but I thought AMD had stated Navi would support hardware raytracing?

14. Grim5

Hitman

Navi in 2019 does not have ray tracing...but Sony and Microsoft are helping to pay and design with AMD to build it in for 2020.

Navi in 2019 is actually a "**** guys we need to get something out the door so we can make better margins" product.

AMD said it themselves at the conference, RDNA is incomplete. RDNA shipping in Navi is a work in progress and the real Navi isn't until Q3/Q4 2020 inside the next gen consoles and desktops

15. shankly1985

Capodecina

Nothing alike fast sync is like AMDs enhanced sync.

Basically it's a feature to remove screen tearing by allowing the users uncapped frame rate so 60hz you have 100fps it will always display a full frame on screen removing screen tear.

It's just another sync tech.

16. Satchfanuk

Gangster

So people are making assumptions that it's a bad cooler before anyone knows anything about it? That makes sense and totally justifies writing it off as terrible :p

17. D.P.

Caporegime

Navi is a downgrade for you, so that makes no sense what so ever. Pay 500 quid to get worse performance than your 1080ti?

18. D.P.

Caporegime

Unless AMD provide some actual info on what their anti-lag really is, it does seem to be what Nvidia have offered for years in the drivers,- the ability to reduce frame queue length in order to reduce input lag.

Same goes for the sharpening stuff. From what AMD have released it is just sharpening the image with a standard filter, Nvidia have offered this for neatly 2 years now across all GPUs.

19. ravl585

Wise Guy

Having not really read through much of the thread, is this worth an upgrade over a 980ti?

Cheers

20. LePhuronn

Mobster

I don't even know what you're on about any more.

Seems to me you've just applied your own context to my massively superficial illustration of a concept to answer another poster's question purely to start a fight. I have never once applied industry or real-world context to my example, never touched the barriers and challenges faced, so pray tell how do you interpret, and by extension have the temerity to even suggest, I am somehow "twisting to suit my angle"? I have no angle, stated repeatedly. What's your angle? Why the continuance? And yet it's me who gets the reprimand for defending myself in the face of your absurdity?

I'm sorry I've upset you so deeply, but please do try to keep your twisted perceptions away from mine.