• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
No way they're putting out watercooled consoles as standard.

Just an Idea, Knowing Sony and Microsoft they would advertise the hell out of the fact its water cooled! Just like they are now with the SSD.

Laptop are getting in on it and so have mobile phones, the S10+ being even more advanced. To call me an idiot when they are smaller form factor already making the jump to a liquid solution seem like you drunk talking? Sony and Microsoft can easily develop an All in One cooling for the full system and this will let them get a smaller form factor and while getting the required performance for the CPU and GPU.

Anyway let us just wait and see.

How Water Cooling Works in Phones
With the Galaxy S7, Samsung developed a method of water cooling that uses a copper thermal heat pipe to disperse heat away from the CPU, especially as the chip works harder. There is a tiny bit of liquid in this tube—not enough to see if the tube is cut open (many people tested this when the phone was first released).

Instead, the water cooling process works by condensation. As the processor heats up, the liquid essentially vaporizes, keeping the CPU cool. The vapor then travels to the opposite end of the of the heat pipe, where it condenses back into liquid when cooled off. This process, paired with a carbon fiber TIM (Thermal Interface Material) is a very effective method of cooling phone hardware.

Current smartphones use a similar system, but Samsung expands on the original idea with a “water carbon cooling system” in the Note 9.

With the Note 9, Samsung knew it needed even more cooling power than it had with the S7 (or any previous phone). It achieved this in two ways: by incorporating a wider thermal pipe and adding a layer of copper in between two thermal spreaders to transfer more heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That’s just a vapor chamber - the Xbox one x already uses that.

When you say water cooling, we think - radiators pumps and coolant

Soldato
Yeah no way it’s AIO cooled.

They may try fancy vapor chambers and ways to dissipate but no water loops. Not only is AIO too expensive but it would make the console bigger and reduce its lifespan.

So the consoles coolers are likely to look a bit like the air cooled graphics card with its heat pipes and off shaped heat sinks

So it's totally feasable and implented in smart phones but you won't consider it on a console?
I think it's the most sensible solution and forward thinking to water cool closed loop the consoles......

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well, you're clearly trolling. No one with any sort of rational thinking considers phones to be watercooled.
If we're going by that logic then the Xbox One X is watercooled.

My reference Vega 64 is watercooled as well.
I'm not trolling....
There are phones with "vapour" cooling like the samsung s7, but then there are actual watercooled smartphones also.
I hope to god they watercool the consoles so I can come back and quote this bit of the thread :D:D

I don't understand why so many of you jumped in as if it was the craziest idea....

Soldato
My point still stands, if they are starting to "cool phones with liquid" (i'll put it that way)
Then it shouldn't be a stretch that the consoles will be "cooled with liquid" either in a custom closed loop or some other fancy way, was the point to get back on track.

Soldato
TIL half of people think vapour chamber is water cooling

LMAO

I guess almost every single PC graphics card sold today is water cooled

I’ll be right back, feeling cute, gonna post a picture of a my gpu in r/watercooling and see how many downvotes I get

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom