• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Man of Honour
"7 nm APU and GPU orders will be in the first half of next year in the TSMC production capacity of the film production and production"

you sure?

That is weird - seen no mention of it from my normal sources of info and wasn't that long ago both Lisa Su and AMD's CTO reaffirmed AMD's commitment to GF for all 14 and 7nm products going forward.

EDIT: Not that I could blame them mind on the face of it GF seems to be the biggest thing holding AMD back lately.

Man of Honour
7nm makes the focus group nervous?

AMD probably have massive orders to to fill and a load of R&D money to burn.

Wasn't long ago the pro-AMD lot were saying TSMC wouldn't have high performance 7nm out anytime soon and at least 6 months after AMD/GF heh...

Man of Honour
My mistake. Looking good then, not locked into GloFo!

Not saying there isn't anything to it but I've not been able to verify it and it doesn't mesh with any information I have - though that is ~2 months old. But similar went around last time after it emerged that TSMC in fact had the better process and suddenly stories like https://www.eteknix.com/amd-zen-use-tsmc-16nm-gf-14nm-falters/ emerged.

While AMD adjusted their contractual position with GF late last year only in May this year they reaffirmed a commitment to use them for their main portfolio of 14nm and future 7nm products - however I wouldn't blame them if they did go to TSMC as I mentioned recently early reports of GF's 7nm are pretty much saying its going to be 14nm all over again.

EDIT: Doing some googling on their analysts day Lisa Su said:

In 7-nanometer, Mark showed some very, very aggressive road maps. We'll be one of the first to adopt a 7-nanometer for high performance, and we will similarly use 2 foundries. So we will use TSMC as well as GLOBALFOUNDRIES for 7-nanometer. And the key is -- our goal is to use the best that process technology has to offer so that we can innovate, design architecture, all of those other things. And so with our modified Wafer Supply Agreement that we did last year, it does give us the flexibility to use 7-nanometer at both TSMC and GLOBALFOUNDRIES.

But then the very next day on record affirmed a commitment to GF :s - will try and find the quote.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wasn't long ago the pro-AMD lot were saying TSMC wouldn't have high performance 7nm out anytime soon and at least 6 months after AMD/GF heh...

It was the same at 16/14nm despite TSMC and GF being very clear and open. All these ridiculous rumours eminate from the same Never Accurate cesspit of a website

Man of Honour
What got you three so spooked about the thought of AMD building a 7nm graphics card at TSMC?

You really should get in the habit of reading some of my older posts, say the big Vega thread, before making assumptions like that. Spooked LOL you are hilarious.

Just a little surprised after fairly recently AMD reaffirming a commitment to GF if they ended up using TSMC extensively plus the irony after some were so negative about TSMC if it turned out to be the case.

Soldato
Rroff I've been around for a while and at one time you was OK. Who in AMD was negative about TSMC? I know Nvidia had a campaign of saying how terrible the company was.

Man of Honour
I just don't have patience any more with people who read a load of stuff out of my posts, conflated by reading their own pre-conceptions into what I've said that isn't intended on my part at all. Hence resorted to putting a few people on ignore lately.

There have been 3-4 pro-AMD people here and elsewhere who have been trashing TSMC's 7nm so it would be funny if AMD did go back to TSMC for 7nm.

EDIT: I'd be only too happy if AMD made a success with Navi even though that is largely for selfish reasons in that it would give nVidia a kick up the rear.

Soldato
Going by the AMD released timescale, Navi is 2018 release, let me find the post...

Capsaicin-_Presented-by-_AMD-_Radeon_FINAL-page-012.jpg

Seems the first half of 2018 might be true then. Navi might be built at TSMC on 7nm. It would make sense and take the supply strain off having Vega built at Global and have Navi following shortly at TSMC.

I think Global was offering a full shrink for 14nm customers too.

Associate
Going by the AMD released timescale, Navi is 2018 release, let me find the post...

Capsaicin-_Presented-by-_AMD-_Radeon_FINAL-page-012.jpg

Seems the first half of 2018 might be true then. Navi might be built at TSMC on 7nm. It would make sense and take the supply strain off having Vega built at Global and have Navi following shortly at TSMC.

I think Global was offering a full shrink for 14nm customers too.

That roadmap needs a complete re-jigging - look at the position of Vega (late 16 / early 17) when the reality is mid 17 / late 17. Early 18 Navi needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Also I thought there was Vega 2 which needs to be slotted in?

Soldato
Not sure. Maybe something got held up because of 7nm. I don't take a lot of notice of graphics cards until I need an upgrade nowadays. The graphics card forum is pretty painful reading.

What is Vega 2?

Back
Top Bottom