• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
If Navi can be made up of a few smaller more efficient cores that are NOT having to be clocked excessively, and can stay in a good power envelope for a change, there is no reason why it wouldn't end up working well.

Given how well Ryzen has worked out - and I understand that GPU workload is different - I am really hoping they can pull something out of the bag here. AMD has suffered with bad clocks for some time now, and this is probably a smarter way forward. I just hope the same doesn't happen to them that happened to 3DFX.

Last edited:
Soldato
If Navi can be made up of a few smaller more efficient cores that are having to be clocked excessively, and can stay in a good power envelope for a change, there is no reason why it wouldn't end up working well.

Given how well Ryzen has worked out - and I understand that GPU workload is different - I am really hoping they can pull something out of the bag here. AMD has suffered with bad clocks for some time now, and this is probably a smarter way forward. I just hope the same doesn't happen to them that happened to 3DFX.
Well looks like AMD are looking at sourcing TSMC for 7nm instead of using Gloflo. So hopefully it might see better clock speeds / frequencies.

Soldato
What Nvidia sue them into obvilion and steal all the tech?

LOL. Funny, but not what I meant.

Was referring to multiple chip design that flopped. I can't remember, was it also 3DFX that tried introducing gimmicks like motion trails into their design and other pointless stuff that really didn't help their situation?

Man of Honour

Was referring to multiple chip design that flopped. I can't remember, was it also 3DFX that tried introducing gimmicks like motion trails into their design and other pointless stuff that really didn't help their situation?

Can't remember the specifics but 3Dfx did start putting hardware implementations for specific effects which realistically there wasn't the performance there for - I think under the assumption they could keep iterating on how many VSA100 chips or whatever it was on the board until they got there.

Soldato

But those gimmicks are the best thing that ever happened to Nvidia

Last edited:
Soldato
Navi needs to be at the very least as fast as a 1080 Ti, AMD need to pull out all the stops for this one AND they severely need to slap their marketing people and tell them to shut the hell up, Before Vega launched, Some of the marketing department said and I quote -

"Vega performance compared to the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan Xp looks really nice"

Stuff like that needs to stop, They even did it with the Fury X, Calling it an overclockers dream which it is not at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom