The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
The takeover of Blackburn by an Indian group is imminent. Yet another injection of cash into football which once again, is not good for the sport.

The league's already reached saturation point for how many rich sugar daddies it can hold; there's only 4 Champion's League spots that yield rewards. The standard of football is going to remain the same (there are only a number of world class players), yet wages for all of clubs will rise. Wayne Rooney may have gotten his wage rise very publically, but he's done nothing unusual or wrong in terms of his wish at the beginning, or the result at the end of the saga.

TV money opened a gap between the rich and poor, and now the flurry of takeovers has just made it worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could all these rich owners be the start of full european league similar too the NFL. Spots in league given as franchises with no lower leagues. Don't think they even need uefa or fifa to go along with it.

Man of Honour
At the end of the day the Premier League being formed shows what can happen if clubs vote to opt out and start their own thing.

However I don't think what you suggest will happen, we don't have sufficient numbers to create an American styled system. Once you go out of the top half regulars of the Premier League then you're left with clubs with very little support. Look at Wigan for example, they have serious problems filling their stadium as it is. It wouldn't be financially viable.

Soldato
At the end of the day the Premier League being formed shows what can happen if clubs vote to opt out and start their own thing.

However I don't think what you suggest will happen, we don't have sufficient numbers to create an American styled system. Once you go out of the top half regulars of the Premier League then you're left with clubs with very little support. Look at Wigan for example, they have serious problems filling their stadium as it is. It wouldn't be financially viable.

Wigan wouldn't be in the an european league. The top 4 clubs from the 5 top leagues and you have a competion. I agree with you that something like this is very unlikly but with owners who don't have any emotional links to the EPL or football tradition its not that far fetched.

Associate
Wigan wouldn't be in the an european league. The top 4 clubs from the 5 top leagues and you have a competion. I agree with you that something like this is very unlikly but with owners who don't have any emotional links to the EPL or football tradition its not that far fetched.

There's not a chance of that happening as domestic rivarlies are too important to the product. What is likley in my view is the formation of a premier league one & two with probably 16 teams in each, similar tv revenues for both (or at least not at the same diference as today), and most importantly no relegation from the 2nd division. 32 clubs would probably be a sustainable level and enable them to be spread nicely around the country to provide predicatable future incomes.

It's an awful thought though.

Soldato
Sky sports news:

They running some kind of viral campain to wind blackburn fans up?

For the last 2 or 3 days, a constant stream of negative headlines about the protential venky takeover.

First the happy with 12th place, then the 5 million available for new players, then the we don't need to buy anybody at all, it can all be done by borrowing players from other teams, and today, they say they will consider renaming the stadium to raise funds for players, which id imagine would raise all of about a few million if that.

Something isn't quite clicking with me, why the heck would you make yourself look like a clueless bunch of skinflints before anything has gone down on paper.

If any of that were true, blackburn would have to be crazy to sign the club away, 2 years down the line the they'd be playiing in the championship.

Soldato
Mods, there are increasing amounts of transfer rumours flying around for January, is it time when we can consider opening a new transfer window thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom