The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Because they're both above that level, are highly unlikely to play with those players in the future anyway, play in a very physical domestic league, and are both likely to end up knackered in two years time because they'll no doubt be selected for next summer's main tournament too.

Cesc is a great example. Didn't get two summers off, embarked on long and multiple domestic campaigns, and for the whole of this season picked up niggly injuries and was out of form. Glad Pearce and the management have finally seen some sense.

Caporegime
Well, I don't buy in to players getting tired or anything like that. They're what? 19/20 year olds, with all the treatment and care they're given I just don't buy it. Look at Barca's team, they've played an incredible amount of games in the last ~ years and are still looking good. Xavi is what? Almost 30 and played football non stop for a long time, and he's played a lot of games in a physical and demanding league not to mention the style that Barca play.

I think it's good for clubs, but not for the development of the English side, you'd hope that a few more of that under 21 side would grow to be England Internationals so they should play together at every opportunity.

This is nothing but good news for Clubs.

Man of Honour
Well, I don't buy in to players getting tired or anything like that. They're what? 19/20 year olds, with all the treatment and care they're given I just don't buy it. Look at Barca's team, they've played an incredible amount of games in the last ~ years and are still looking good. Xavi is what? Almost 30 and played football non stop for a long time, and he's played a lot of games in a physical and demanding league not to mention the style that Barca play.

I think it's good for clubs, but not for the development of the English side, you'd hope that a few more of that under 21 side would grow to be England Internationals so they should play together at every opportunity.

This is nothing but good news for Clubs.

As I mentioned in the other thread(s), Barca and their players are really the freak exception to the rule that strangely enough the rest of Europe follows, and play in a less physical league compared to England. There's a big difference in how we have to run around compared to Spain. Their players may not have to rest but those of other leagues do. Anyway, wouldn't Cesc, as above, be a better example for comparison rather than Xavi who is constantly mentioned? As said I'm not only talking about getting tired. I'm talking about loss of form. Constant niggling injuries which for almost all players will be the result of over doing it.

And of course it's good news for the clubs. We don't pay him to play for England we pay him to play for Arsenal why shouldn't we/Wenger have a greater say? Never has it said he can't play for the main team but the U21s would make that 3 sides and well, bog off. :p

Caporegime
Arsenal player seem to pick up a lot of injuries, maybe they need to take a look at the way they train. They almost consistently get a good number of injuries each season.

Just doesn't stand up for me, These are young athletes. They shouldn't be getting tired from playing a couple of games a week.

There was a Journo on the Sunday Supplement saying something similar to me. I just don't buy that a 20 year old athlete needs to take a break, where he's going to be playing a few extra games over the summer. If anything, it will keep some of the younger players in tip top condition, injuries aside.

For Liverpool and Arsenal, this is fantastic news. For England's future it's a bit "meh" ! You'd have thought footballers want to play as many games as they can, especially cup competitions. Youth competitions are always given a lot less time in this country then elsewhere as well.

Soldato
I must say I agree with Tummy on this, they're athletes with amazing facilities / attention, paid silly money to run about and kick a ball and they should be able to do it more than 30 weeks a year.

Don
Unlike in Spain, we don't have a winter break. We play solidly from August to May. Every England manager that I can remember has always complained about England players not having the appropriate preparation for major tournaments and moaned about the lack of a winter break.

You only have to look back to the first few months of this season where there was the debate about how very few (if any) players that played a significant role at the WC were playing to their usual standard.

There is no way that a player can play 24 months of solid football and be at their peak for the Euro's next summer and certainly not then be able to maintain that for another full season after that too.

Man of Honour
Arsenal player seem to pick up a lot of injuries, maybe they need to take a look at the way they train. They almost consistently get a good number of injuries each season.

Just doesn't stand up for me, These are young athletes. They shouldn't be getting tired from playing a couple of games a week.

There was a Journo on the Sunday Supplement saying something similar to me. I just don't buy that a 20 year old athlete needs to take a break, where he's going to be playing a few extra games over the summer. If anything, it will keep some of the younger players in tip top condition, injuries aside.

For Liverpool and Arsenal, this is fantastic news. For England's future it's a bit "meh" ! You'd have thought footballers want to play as many games as they can, especially cup competitions. Youth competitions are always given a lot less time in this country then elsewhere as well.

Again, armchair fans and journos in this case have it wrong, for this country at least. I'd prefer to listen to the coaches and managers on this one.

'A few games a week' grossly misrepresents and underestimates what they're being asked to do though. A summer off every two years is paramount in my eyes.

Yes we get injuries a lot but they're often impact ones, rather than strains and niggles which are more indicative of other problems. Had Cesc for example been out differently this year I may be inclined to agree but looking at what has happened I can't.

It can also be viewed as short sighted. In two years time if Wilshere and Carroll were to have a season like this wouldn't it also hurt England's senior team?

Caporegime
OP
22788618894343272041581.jpg

Don
I love the Rafa ruined him stuff. Keane played consistently in his favoured position for several months before getting dropped for **** performances and Rafa get's knocked. Keane then joins Spurs, he's in and out of the side, often playing out wide and nothing gets said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom