The Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you allowed to ignore the career statistics of Ronaldo and only use two of his most successful seasons to compare him with others?

So silly. Compare his entire career so far, don't pick and choose stats that suit your argument.

Cristiano is just a freak in terms of his goal return that said he's very much adapted his game so that he's not the exciting winger anymore but more of an unorthodox centre forward. Messi has changed his game similarly so that he's not the player cutting in from the right anymore and is very much stuck up through the middle as well the difference between the two though is that Messi hasn't lost that bit of magic like Ronnie has

Fat Ronaldo just never did it consistently over a 3/4 year period to warrant being in the same company as Messi and Cristiano IMO same goes with Ronaldinho - must be a Brazilian thing. Messi and Cristiano though have both been consistently the two best players in the world for 6 years now - jesus it's been that long :eek:

Cristiano is just a freak in terms of his goal return that said he's very much adapted his game so that he's not the exciting winger anymore but more of an unorthodox centre forward. Messi has changed his game similarly so that he's not the player cutting in from the right anymore and is very much stuck up through the middle as well the difference between the two though is that Messi hasn't lost that bit of magic like Ronnie has

Fat Ronaldo just never did it consistently over a 3/4 year period to warrant being in the same company as Messi and Cristiano IMO same goes with Ronaldinho - must be a Brazilian thing. Messi and Cristiano though have both been consistently the two best players in the world for 6 years now - jesus it's been that long :eek:

Surely big Ronaldo's Real Madrid years is 'consistent'?! Look at him from 2002-6.

:confused:

How come it's just "forwards" that are considered the best players in the World?

Fat Ronaldo was consistent, in fact a lot of players from Brasil have been :confused: what a daft comment.

I'd argue that Messi has been the best player in the World, but Xavi could easily be put in second place. He's been magnificent for a long time now.

Why are you allowed to ignore the career statistics of Ronaldo and only use two of his most successful seasons to compare him with others?

Because that's where his arguement began falling down. In this debate of the worlds greatest ever players, we're now not allowed to include players with great goalscoring records outside Spain :confused:

Next we'll only be able to compare players with the initials CR :o
How come it's just "forwards" that are considered the best players in the World?
Exactly. This whole goalscoring record argument is pointless because there's so much more to great players than just scoring goals.

Last edited:
Surely big Ronaldo's Real Madrid years is 'consistent'?! Look at him from 2002-6.

Ronaldo was brilliant at the 2002 World Cup and the 02/03 season at Real Madrid but after that season Real went **** and Ronaldinho's Barca took over so I disagree IMO Original Ronaldo's best form only ever last 2 seasons at the most at any one period

Ronaldo was brilliant at the 2002 World Cup and the 02/03 season at Real Madrid but after that season Real went **** and Ronaldinho's Barca took over so I disagree IMO Original Ronaldo's best form only ever last 2 seasons at the most at any one period

2002-3: 44 apps - 30 goals
2003-4: 48 apps - 31 goals
2004-5: 45 apps - 25 goals
2005-6: 27 apps - 15 goals

Quite consistent tbh.

What? No? :confused:

See Sykes post.

2002-3: 44 apps - 30 goals
2003-4: 48 apps - 31 goals
2004-5: 45 apps - 25 goals
2005-6: 27 apps - 15 goals

Quite consistent tbh.

Although the decline is easily spottable after the two seasons I mentioned (02/03 and 03/04 albeit Real's form really hit the decline during the second half of that season)

It wasn't a sweeping generalisation it's just that neither Ronaldo or Ronaldinho (both Brazilian) never made the most of their ability over a sustained period imo

Fat Ronaldo just never did it consistently over a 3/4 year period to warrant being in the same company as Messi and Cristiano IMO same goes with Ronaldinho - must be a Brazilian thing.
Messi and Cristiano though have both been consistently the two best players in the world for 6 years now - jesus it's been that long :eek:

That sounded like a generalisation? :confused:

Syke just proved that Ronaldo was consistent? Yet you choose to dismiss that? Despite Real's form dropping off as you said he continued to score goals.

What? No? :confused:

See Sykes post.

Sorry but no, watch the Ronaldo that teared United apart in 2003 was that the same Ronaldo that played Arsenal 3 years later? No. He was a shadow of that player.

That sounded like a generalisation? :confused:

Syke just proved that Ronaldo was consistent? Yet you choose to dismiss that? Despite Real's form dropping off as you said he continued to score goals.

Doesn't mean his all round performances were still as good though does it? :confused:

Sorry but no, watch the Ronaldo that teared United apart in 2003 was that the same Ronaldo that played Arsenal 3 years later? No. He was a shadow of that player.

Yeah. I'm sure if you put on weight and had injuries you'd struggle? Point? :confused:

He came back and did quite well in the World Cup did he not in '06?

Also, he scored 15 goals in 27 appearances.

Doesn't mean his all round performances were still as good though does it? :confused:

Obviously, as has been mentioned he suffered from injuries for the last years of his life.

I really can't stand this attitude that statistics tell the story. You've been disproved via Syke that he was consistent.

There is far more to the Worlds best footballers then scoring goals, unless your Dr Pain.

Yeah. I'm sure if you put on weight and had injuries you'd struggle? Point? :confused:

He came back and did quite well in the World Cup did he not in '06?

Also, he scored 15 goals in 27 appearances.

LOL who's fault is the weight gain? It's not like it happened by some scary twist of fate is it?

The injuries may have not been his fault (can't say I remember what injuries he had at Real) but it still goes to prove his lack of consistency even if lets say for arguments sake it was because everything conspired against him

Obviously, as has been mentioned he suffered from injuries for the last years of his life.

I really can't stand this attitude that statistics tell the story. You've been disproved via Syke that he was consistent.

There is far more to the Worlds best footballers then scoring goals, unless your Dr Pain.

Erm? What!?

How do stats tell the story? And how am I suggesting that they do? All Syke's stats show is that he scored goals, less goals than what I said from the out set was his 2 best seasons at Real. As I've just said those goals don't tell how he performed, for all you know those goals could have all been tap ins from 2 yards a far cry from the Ronaldo that scored a hat trick against United at Old Trafford scoring goals from all angles.

I totally agree there's more to being TBPITW than scoring goals, you're the one that seems to be failing to see that keep referring back to his scoring stats as proof that he was consistent :confused:

You're missing the point here, he's been a consistent goal scorer pretty much all of his life? Seriously, what part of that don't you understand. Syke proved that.

02/03 - 44 apps 30 goals
03/04 - 48 apps 31 goals
04/05 - 45 apps 25 goals
05/06 - 27 apps 15 goals

He was a consistent goal scorer, not to mention his ability on the football pitch was unbelievable. When he was at his best he was amazing to watch. It's a real shame that injuries meant we didn't see him at his best all too often.

Seriously, the attitude of judging players by statistics is ***.

You keep saying he wasn't, he was. It wasn't until he struggled with injuries (last few years at Real) that his form dropped off. His knee's went, very much the way Overmars (spelling) went at Arsenal.

You're missing the point here, he's been a consistent goal scorer pretty much all of his life? Seriously, what part of that don't you understand. Syke proved that.

02/03 - 44 apps 30 goals
03/04 - 48 apps 31 goals
04/05 - 45 apps 25 goals
05/06 - 27 apps 15 goals

He was a consistent goal scorer, not to mention his ability of the football pitch was unbelievable. When he was at his best he was amazing to watch. It's a real shame that injuries meant we didn't see him at his best all too often.

Seriously, the attitude of judging players by statistics is ***.

Seriously are you ******? You're right the judging players by statics is stupid? But I'm not the one doing it am I, I'm judging him on the performances I saw from him, nothing to do with his goal return! And his performances in 2005- onwards were that more comparable of Leroy Lita than the Ronaldo of 2002

Seriously are you ******? You're right the judging players by statics is stupid? But I'm not the one doing it am I, I'm judging him on the performances I saw from him, nothing to do with his goal return! And his performances in 2005- onwards were that more comparable of Leroy Lita than the Ronaldo of 2002

You said he was inconsistent (and so were all players from Brasil) yet it's been proved that while even at Real he had a consistent goals v games ratio?

He's better then C Ronaldo.

You said he was inconsistent (and so were all players from Brasil) yet it's been proved that while even at Real he had a consistent goals v games ratio?

He's better then C Ronaldo.

:o

Ok one last time

1- I didn't say all players from Brazil were inconsistent I said Ronaldo and Ronaldinho weren't at the top for as long as they should have been. Messi & Ronaldo have both been the best players on the planet now for 5/6 years can the same be said of Ronaldo? No. He had a great world cup and first season and a half at Real Madrid.

2- all that your stats which ironically you keep bitching about people using to prove an argument show is that he scored goals they don't as you previously said tell the whole story. Again watch the Ronaldo from 2002/2003 and tell me that's the same Ronaldo 3 years later that played against Arsenal. The answer is no.

Brazilian Ronaldo at his best better than Cristiano Ronaldo at his best? Debatable. Who's been at the top of their game for longer? No debate Cristiano Ronaldo wins hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom