• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***THE BF4 BENCHMARKS THREAD***

Guys can I get a little input on what you currently feel to be the best card for BF4? I'm trying to put together a rig, mainly for games such as this.

I have a budget of ~£500 (could go slightly higher but would probably need to change the 4770K for a 4670K, and from what I've seen the 4770K actually works really nicely with BF4) and the current contenders are: 7990, 780 Classified, 780 HOF, 780 iChill Herculez, 280X CF (Asus DCII Top), 290X.

Also, I'm hoping to get a 120/144Hz monitor, and I'll be playing at 1080p with (hopefully) max settings and either 2x or 4x MSAA (depending on the IQ).

Any recommendations?

Guys can I get a little input on what you currently feel to be the best card for BF4? I'm trying to put together a rig, mainly for games such as this.

I have a budget of ~£500 (could go slightly higher but would probably need to change the 4770K for a 4670K, and from what I've seen the 4770K actually works really nicely with BF4) and the current contenders are: 7990, 780 Classified, 780 HOF, 780 iChill Herculez, 280X CF (Asus DCII Top), 290X.

Also, I'm hoping to get a 120/144Hz monitor, and I'll be playing at 1080p with (hopefully) max settings and either 2x or 4x MSAA (depending on the IQ).

Any recommendations?

single 290 pro

Any recommendations?

The 780 windforce or phantom, both very fast and cheap atm when you consider the 3 free games.

Yep, £500 for the card/s. Sorry, should have clarified!

So the Classy is the pick of the 780 bunch? Good to know. I have heard a lot of good things about EVGA and their warranty/step-up program is excellent. Perhaps I could get a Classy now and step-up to a Ti later...now there's a thought...

And for the Red Team, either a pair of 280Xs or a 290 Pro. Can anyone tell me how their 290 is running in terms of heat and noise? The reviews put me off a bit - seems like a brilliant card but with a very noisy cooler. Just how loud does it get if you plan to OC slightly and maintain a stable clock rate? The 280X CF seemed like amazing bang for buck, but I'm leaning more towards a single GPU solution I think.

Can anyone advise roughly what sort of average framerate I'd be looking at with these cards? Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but BF4 is the game I'm using as my personal benchmark for putting this system together! :-)

I probably will do Gollums Railway tomorrow.

For now here is Transmission @ 1080p with 3x7970's at 1200/1500. 3930k at 4.5GHZ.

Stock FOV in Ultra.

I bounce off the 200fps frame-rate limiter for a lot of the time, it will be interesting to see if mantle allows for a 200fps locked frame-rate.

Even more impressive was the frame-time, which remained around 6ms.

nn9c.jpg

snb5.jpg

sb4w.jpg

Last edited:

So the Classy is the pick of the 780 bunch? Good to know. I have heard a lot of good things about EVGA and their warranty/step-up program is excellent. Perhaps I could get a Classy now and step-up to a Ti later...now there's a thought...

And for the Red Team, either a pair of 280Xs or a 290 Pro. Can anyone tell me how their 290 is running in terms of heat and noise? The reviews put me off a bit - seems like a brilliant card but with a very noisy cooler. Just how loud does it get if you plan to OC slightly and maintain a stable clock rate? The 280X CF seemed like amazing bang for buck, but I'm leaning more towards a single GPU solution I think.

Can anyone advise roughly what sort of average framerate I'd be looking at with these cards? Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but BF4 is the game I'm using as my personal benchmark for putting this system together! :-)

My 290X @1100/1400 with the fan @55% doesn't seem noisy to me at all, but noise is subjective so for you it may be different.

As for performance, coupled with a 4770k @4.6 i see averages over 100fps on full ultra (1080p) almost always.

Here's a fraps run i just did on Golmud railway, full server.

2013-11-07 21:53:05 - bf4
Frames: 205169 - Time: 1651156ms - Avg: 124.258 - Min: 73 - Max: 202

That's with the card @1200/1400, still plenty left in the tank on the memory and a little bit more on the core seeing as i'm still using the Reference cooler.

in what you play you are hard pressed to find any difference in between different brands. looking at hardocp they dont say the fan is loud on the 290 series. sound is so subjective.
Personally, one 290, replace cooler if it dosnt suit you, OC it, call it a day.
trueaudio and Mantle are reasons for me to go 290.

any card at that price range will however work just fine for ya

Tried this?
Go to your BF4 folder/_installer/punkbuster/redist and run the pbsvc file.
Or is that what you did?

It may not fix your particular issue though.

installed the PB update thing from even balance, still a game issue more than server problems. Had a hardlock on it yesterday, couldn't do a thing apart from restart pc. And yes all my OC's are mega stable

Back
Top Bottom