Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Boris is doing a great job of making me want to vote stay.

He really needs to up his game, he sounds like a ranting loon. Has he done a deal with Dave that he will sabotage the Brexit campaign?

Soldato
Boris is doing a great job of making me want to vote stay.

He really needs to up his game, he sounds like a ranting loon. Has he done a deal with Dave that he will sabotage the Brexit campaign?

I think they are actually one their opposing sides; Boris wants to stay and Dave wants to go. It is a race to sabotage each others campaign and they are neck and neck.

If this was made into a comedy film, i would absolutely love it.

Soldato
I think they are actually one their opposing sides; Boris wants to stay and Dave wants to go. It is a race to sabotage each others campaign and they are neck and neck.

If this was made into a comedy film, i would absolutely love it.

Boris has seen his chance to go for Prime Minister and this is it. If the vote is out, Cameron will resign and Boris will be first in line after 'masterminding' the exit. I don't think he really believes in half the stuff he's saying.

Caporegime
Yes, it's certainly the case that local effects can be greater but my point remains: the UK is not heavily urbanised and will not become heavily urbanised. We're not even talking about becoming as densely populated as Belgium or Holland. Of course, if you live in a city you'll be surrounded by city but that doesn't mean that there isn't green space out there and whether you've green space near you in the city is down to city planning not total population.

(Incidentally, what is that actually a map of?)

England as a single entity is more heavily populated than both Holland and Belgium though. Scorza has a good point about Scotland. Take away the two countries that are mostly uninhabited/uninhabitable and the country that will absorb most people is England, which is one of the most highly populated countries in the world, outside of small islands and city states.

Then there's the fact a "green space" is not really what we should be aiming for. Almost all of the U.K. is industrialized and even with that we can't provide anywhere near enough food for our population. There are pretty much no natural spaces (IMO far more important than so called green spaces - do road verges count in that?!) left in the UK, not even in Scotland and Wales. It's one of the reasons I ended up leaving. I just can't deal with only having the occasional "green space", rather than real places that you can actually get away from people and road noises and see endemic wildlife, rather than just a few rabbits, sheep and a fast declining population of songbirds.

Edit: unlike Scorza though I don't believe immigration is really making much of a difference to all this. We were like this way before the recent immigrations.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I agree but I also I think Boris wants to be PM after Dave and Dave wants George to suceed him. If we Leave it's unlikely that George will be able to lead the country into Brexit, thus paving the way for Boris. I do wonder if Dave had given hime a nod and a wink, whether Boris would really be campaigining for Vote Leave.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree but I also I think Boris wants to be PM after Dave and Dave wants George to suceed him. If we Leave it's unlikely that George will be able to lead the country into Brexit, thus paving the way for Boris. I do wonder if Dave had given hime a nod and a wink, whether Boris would really be campaigining for Vote Leave.

I don't think Boris has any principles here, he's clearly doing it for his own career progression and looking at the latest polls, he may well have backed the losing side.

Soldato
Boris has seen his chance to go for Prime Minister and this is it. If the vote is out, Cameron will resign and Boris will be first in line after 'masterminding' the exit. I don't think he really believes in half the stuff he's saying.

Ofc, my statement was more of a joke, commenting on the competence of both sides leaders.

Soldato

Boris did seem to waver at the beginning, I wonder if this was what he was waiting for? I don't think this is much to do with the EU for Boris and George, it's all about the PM's job for them.

Caporegime
I don't think Boris has any principles here, he's clearly doing it for his own career progression and looking at the latest polls, he may well have backed the losing side.

Exactly - he's going for the top job rather than towing the line and maybe getting Home or Foreign Secretary once Osborne had been coronated PM. Lots of other ministers who have previously been very anti-EU are now supporting remain because they think it'll further their ministerial careers e.g. Javid, May.

Boris is taking a risk because he thinks he potential reward (becoming Prime Minister) is worth it. No-body became successful without taking risks - maybe that should be Vote Leave's new slogan.

Caporegime
If politicians were serious about tackling global warming, then they should be telling us how declining human populations were a good thing.

Exactly. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the capitalist model of almost exponential growth that most western societies are built upon and measured against. So we try (badly) to reduce one of the symptoms, rather than solve the underlying illness.

Go see the world now. By 2100 most of the natural wonders and much wildlife will be essentially extinct at the rate we are tearing down forests for food, destroying coastal ecosystems for homes and hotels and generally polluting and ravaging the Oceans of all edible wildlife. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think Boris is trying to do this for the leadership... DC is leaving at the end of the current term and there is no competition at the moment, so all he'd have to do is wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom