Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Same here. I left school with 2 grade C GCSE's at English and media studies and I ended up in the diplomatic service above Oxford and Cambridge educated staff. Uni just doesn't mean what it used to.

What did it mean before? How old are you, just so I can understand when Oxbridge grads stopped being smart.

Any guesses what an oxbridge grad earns on average and by the time they are in their 30s?

Associate
What did it mean before? How old are you, just so I can understand when Oxbridge grads stopped being smart.

Any guesses what an oxbridge grad earns on average and by the time they are in their 30s?

Not even 20 years ago very few school leavers comparatively went on to university. Now everyone and their dog is being pushed in that direction. I guess there just aren't enough people with art history degrees.

Soldato
Same here. I left school with 2 grade C GCSE's at English and media studies and I ended up in the diplomatic service above Oxford and Cambridge educated staff. Uni just doesn't mean what it used to.

Exactly. I don't have a degree yet I'm in charge of plenty of people who do. I'm glad I don't actually as it seems to turn most Men into effeminate Liberals

Soldato
Exactly. I don't have a degree yet I'm in charge of plenty of people who do. I'm glad I don't actually as it seems to turn most Men into effeminate Liberals

People who espouse liberalism aren't masculine. Thanks for the insight.

You also seem to be suggesting there is a link between going to university and being a liberal. Hmmm, what was that debate that was going on a few posts back about being educated and having certain viewpoints.

Last edited:
Soldato
People who espouse liberalism aren't masculine. Thanks for the insight.

You also seem to be suggesting there is a link between going to university and being a liberal. Hmmm, what was that debate that was going on a few posts back about being educated and having certain viewpoints.

I think it's more to do with University culture than actually applying the things you learned while writing your Sociology dissertation

Soldato
Hey, maybe if you learnt a bit more you wouldn't see conspiracies everywhere and lead a less stressful life.

Know more than most? That's a pretty arrogant statement, especially if you're relatively young.

Than most people I know! I should have said stated. Sorry for the lapse in my English.

Thank you for thinking I am relatively young. :)

Soldato
It used to mean a clever person with a high level of education. Now it might still mean that, but probably means a nobody with a certificate of participation in social studies.

I think you need to brush up on how probabilities work. First port of call should be the distribution of degrees awarded. The latest data along with earnings data is for the 2013/14 graduating year.

Secondly, people don't write or say they have a "generic degree".

Chart created using Table 4 data here.

Science Subject Areas:
Medicine & dentistry,
Subjects allied to medicine
Biological sciences
Veterinary science
Agriculture & related subjects
Physical sciences
Mathematical sciences
Computer science
Engineering & technology
Architecture, building & planning
graduates%20distribution.png

Than most people I know! I should have said stated. Sorry for the lapse in my English.

Thank you for thinking I am relatively young. :)

If you are over 35, feel free to take it as a compliment, but I never said I thought you were young.

Last edited:
Soldato
In defence of 'hipsters': a lot work quite low-skilled jobs so that they can devote their energy elsewhere. For example: organising warehouse raves and/or playing synth in a band.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I'm not saying you lads are all foreigner hating unskilled morons. But you are on the same side as foreigner hating unskilled morons. Furthermore, you're on the wrong side of history too, along with Trump, Farage, Le Pen or Putin. Even if politics need a shake up, even if the rich are going too far with their greed, we don't need dangerous, obsolete ideologies to fix our problems.

Austria has just dodged a bullet. We will probably do the same in 3 weeks. Life will go on, there's room for everyone and for almost every belief in the Western world. The rest of the world is not so fortunate so do try to not regress our society back to that, will you?:)

People never realise how good things are till they're gone.

I believe we have it very very easy in this country, we are spoilt even the poor get handouts that enable them to have some kind of existence which is not threatened by war, poverty, disease or famine.

Le pen, Farage and the like over exaggerate every fault and then try to blame outsiders for it. Absolute geniuses the lot of them.

If these are the saviors of the West then the West is dead.

Caporegime
We have different definitions of hipsters then.

Hipsters are normally the children of middle class parents who went to university, and generally are pretty affluent.

You think Hipsters in London pay their ridiculously high rents from low skilled jobs?

Hipsters are probably best known in New York again where they are pretty affluent.

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

As well the general description given above, the 1990s through to today section is the most relevant bit for who hipsters are today.

Mummy and dady are usualy paying.

I've never met a hipster with a skilled or high paying job.

What do you find they do?

Soldato
They all work in marketing and media companies between Old Street and Shoreditch.

A couple I know work in tech companies as well, big established one and a startup. Some also have standard professional jobs in various consultancy fields.

That doesn't mean to say there aren't some trying to run a business, the "trendy" retail outlets that visually people might associate with hipsters.

Last edited:
Associate
Bring back Grammar Schools, best thing for social mobility ever and it got scrapped, disgusting.

I do believe University is too open, it should be for the brightest and best, I know some right lemons who have gone to Uni doing nothing after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom