Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The EU wont be able to stop the UK sending them back ?

Thank you! Europe is under siege, and the EU will want, nee, insist on sharing the burden, by fair means or foul. This migration issue is more dominant than any short term drop in imports, exports or near any damned thing else, it's totally unprecedented and European countries need total freedom to take a Draconian stance, if that is their indigenous population's will. It will not only affect the EU, but every European country's future way of existence. It supplants near every other future issue.

But as I have said several times, this issue will soon make the EU as we know it today irrelevant, it's already falling apart. We need to pre-empt this and be self sufficient, as best we can, before we are dragged down to a lower common denominator by this still very much evolving nightmare! The EU have no real handle on it, and show zero sign of getting one. Riots in France in the next few months?? Germany? Austria?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thank you! Europe is under siege, and the EU will want, nee, insist on sharing the burden, by fair means or foul. This migration issue is more dominant than any short term drop in imports, exports or near any damned thing else, it's totally unprecedented and European countries need total freedom to take a Draconian stance, if that is their indigenous population's will.

We have this freedom and have already utilised it.

Soldato
The EU makes it more likely to happen, though, rather than individual countries having to unilaterally improve the rights for their workers and in doing so create a competitive disadvantage with those who don't follow suit.

It does though, because the EU regulations don't apply to the rest of the world which we do a lot of trading with incidentally. That would be a solid argument if that wasn't the case

Man of Honour
It does though, because the EU regulations don't apply to the rest of the world which we do a lot of trading with incidentally. That would be a solid argument if that wasn't the case

We do a lot of trading with the rest of the world, in which the same regulations and standards often do not apply - you are right.

What effect has the influx of cheap goods from China had on the UK?

Soldato
It seems the EU is run by 750 odd MEPs, all elected, of which we have about 10%. I still have trouble then why we need 650 odd to 'run' the UK. If we leave the EU those 650 people that I have little confidence in will have even more control. I'd rather have a multinational group make decisions.
In order to save some money let's do away with the UK parliament, that would save millions. Our 73 MEPS can then do a much more cost effective job.,
Andi.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Probably from here: http://order-order.com/2016/05/25/eu-plots-europe-wide-tax-id-numbers/

The EU is laying the groundwork for new, centrally planned National Insurance-style numbers for every taxpayer in Europe. The proposal was passed by the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee last night, and chillingly calls for a ‘European Taxpayer Identification Number’ to keep track of every EU citizen. This is the European Commission text:

“Proper identification of taxpayers is essential to effective exchange of information between tax administrations. The creation of European Taxpayer Identification Number (EU TIN) would provide the best means for this identification. It would allow any third party to quickly, easily and correctly identify and record TINs in cross-border relations and serve as a basis for effective automatic exchange of information between member states tax administrations.”

Brussels wants the ability to track every EU taxpayer, laying the foundations for a new European tax…

Some EU countries already have TINs. It makes it easier to file your taxes if you've got income in more than one EU member state. It also means you don't pay tax twice on the same income.
The only 'negative' aspect is that it means you're forced to declare income earned in other countries in your home country.

Scaremongering at its best!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
And what freedoms would those be that the EU have taken from us?

Personally, I feel more free in the EU than I would outside of it. I have the freedom to work anywhere I want in the EU. I can travel without papers anywhere I like. I can be sure that I won't suffer discrimination in the workplace because of my disabilities. I'm free to not get ripped off by manufacturers who won't stand by their products for 2 years. I'm free to not have to pay through the nose for my mobile when I'm abroad. I'm free to not be forced by my employer to work excessive house. I'm free to have time off when my children are born.

Yup. I don't want any of those things in my life.
Communist.

Soldato
It seems the EU is run by 750 odd MEPs, all elected, of which we have about 10%. I still have trouble then why we need 650 odd to 'run' the UK. If we leave the EU those 650 people that I have little confidence in will have even more control. I'd rather have a multinational group make decisions.
In order to save some money let's do away with the UK parliament, that would save millions. Our 73 MEPS can then do a much more cost effective job.,
Andi.

The PM and the Chancellor run the country, the front bench gets some input and the rest get a slap if they don't do exactly as they're told. We pay 74k a year to each and every MP so we can put a face to the dot on a map.

If we only had a handful of ministers, the civil service, and 400 nodding dogs sat on the back benches I'm certain we'd have 99% of the same laws passed we do now. The work in committees is of some use, but could be better done by civil service experts and the house of lords is, although completely un-elected, a better brake on the excesses of government than the mps most of us elect.

Caporegime
On the £4300 figure - Quoted from Osborne himself:
"Put simply‎: over many years, are you better off or worse off if we leave the EU? The answer is: Britain would be worse off, permanently so, and to the tune of £4,300 a year for every household"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/osborne-brexit-will-cost-us-4-300-per-household-w8rkrsxff

On war in Europe - Quoted from Cameron:
“Can we be so sure that peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking? I would never be so rash as to make that assumption.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/09/pm-draws-on-history-to-bolster-eu-remain-campaign

On 800k unemployment - capped from the Treasury report:

CjIYVakW0AQd7lo.jpg

Osborne quoted saying the same here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-treasury-jobs-recession_uk_5742d2dde4b00006e9aed9f1

The scaremongering comes straight from the Government and isn't down to the media. Cameron has gone full retard.

So the GDP would drop the equivalent of £4,300 For every household? He isn't saying every household will be £4,300 worse off.

Cameron's quote proves my point. The disillusion of the EU could very well cause instability and potentially local wars (be they civil or neighbourly) depending on how fast it happened. This has already been discussed. He's not saying Europe will descend into war if we left...

And trust you to take the "extreme shock scenario". It doesn't seem particularly unreasonable to expect a dip in the GDP and loss of jobs in the near term. It even points out that it's an extreme scenario, the outlier of the scenarios...

You're taking what they are saying and assuming the worst, rather than listening to what they are actually saying. But then that is "project fear" (leave side) for you... Making stuff up and providing extreme examples for everything from immigration to what people on the remain side are saying.

Caporegime
Since it's fundamentally a referendum on whether we want to live in the UK or in the United States of EUrope, I'd suggest that the opinion of the EU matters a great deal to this debate.

Yet that is irrelevant for all the examples you provided. its not like the EU banned us from having a referendum. It was the British government that promised (actually a specific party usually) all these things and then backed down.

If the government had given us a referendum, or opted out of something and then the away had refused to accept it then that's a different matter. But they didn't, ergo, blame the British government for renegading on their promises, not the EU.

Caporegime
No further integration would require treaty change which hasn't happened and never will.

And further change would also require treaty changes and/or signing of new treaties.

Again, it sounds like you don't trust our government, the government you believe should have "more" power, to either choose the right path of us or allow us the choice ourselves.

Caporegime
http://newobserveronline.com/austrian-govt-investigates-vote-irregularities/

This is what will happen I can guarantee on June the 23rd. :mad:

We vote out they will find enough postal votes under the carpet to make us stay.

Freedom of choice is a joke! :rolleyes:

CONSPIRACY!!!!

or

The Interior Ministry has not said that there has been any fraud, and that its investigation—at this stage—merely wants to “close the gaps” in how tens of thousands of postal votes could have lain opened all night.

Permabanned
Andi.

So you really believe the EU and MEPs are doing an efficient job then? Please explain this kind of thing:

Baroness Ashton will be paid £400,000 by the EU to do nothing
Baroness Ashton will be entitled to £400,000 at the taxpayer's expense over three years for doing nothing after finishing her five year term as the European Union's foreign minister at the end of 2014.

Full article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...l-be-paid-400000-by-the-EU-to-do-nothing.html

Soldato
Soldato
Successive governments have lied to us and made mugs of us over the EU - that won't change so long as we're in the EU

The same Govt's that you want to give more power over us? Do you think they will stop lying to us after we leave the EU?

Oh yes, we can vote them out (just as we can now) remind me, who lied to us over the issues you mentioned and who did we vote for in the last election?

The EU is great for big business who do business across nation states and would prefer to deal with supra-national, undemocratic authorities.

You mean apart from the fact the trading block of the EU has the power to stand up to global companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google whereas individual nations don't

Most businesses in the UK however are small businesses and these guys are absolutely being strangled by red tape that comes from Brussels

How many small businesses do you/have you run? Because I run quite a few and don't know what you are talking about. In fact, trading across the EU has far less red tape now than it used to have.

Soldato
Freedom of choice is a joke! :rolleyes:

You have a lot more choice now that you will have outside EU :rolleyes: You can go live in one of 31 countries without any lengthy paperwork, you can purchase things from these countries without paying silly import duty etc..

Oh and you may as well vote In if you think the result is already rigged. :p

Soldato
That's our fault as an electorate then, it's our responsibility to elect governments that focus on the things we want, we shouldn't have to give away our ability to elect the people who make our laws.

How do we do that? Manifestos are non-binding, doesn't matter what they promise to get your vote, they will still do what they want when they get in.

Remember the promise of 'We have no intention to raise VAT'

Have a guess what happened after they immediately got in

The EU makes it more likely to happen, though, rather than individual countries having to unilaterally improve the rights for their workers and in doing so create a competitive disadvantage with those who don't follow suit.

Exactly, the EU creates and enforces the level playing field and stops the rush to the bottom by Govt's / businesses by stripping workers rights/business practices to make their country unfairly cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom