Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Express is running a story today about Osbournes much vaunted 'tampon tax' concessions being inconveniently forgotten about by the EU...

The same Govt's that you want to give more power over us? Do you think they will stop lying to us after we leave the EU?

Oh yes, we can vote them out (just as we can now) remind me, who lied to us over the issues you mentioned and who did we vote for in the last election?

I think they will lie to us less because they won't be able to hide behind the EU when passing unpopular legislation. I want our government to be fully accountable to the British electorate - at the moment that just isn't happening e.g. the government isn't fully responsible for controlling immigration because it shares immigration policy making with Brussels.

The business of governing is complicated, having two governments increases the complexity massively. I say we should only have one government and it should be in the UK.

You mean apart from the fact the trading block of the EU has the power to stand up to global companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google whereas individual nations don't

Err no. Let's be honest the EU's "standing up" to Microsoft took far too long and the action they finally took was pointless and had become irrelevant. I expect the same outcome following the ongoing investigations into Google and Amazon. The EU is very ineffective in this area.

How many small businesses do you/have you run? Because I run quite a few and don't know what you are talking about. In fact, trading across the EU has far less red tape now than it used to have.

I'm not really interested in how many businesses you claim to run. Suggest you do a DDG for "EU Red Tape" and educate yourself.

I think they will lie to us less

And you call the remain camp naive :D

I want our government to be fully accountable to the British electorate

You mean just like they are now.....what's that thing we have every 5 years?

at the moment that just isn't happening

Accountability to the UK electorate? Yes it is

e.g. the government isn't fully responsible for controlling immigration because it shares immigration policy making with Brussels.

Not sure why that makes them less accountable to us, and don't forget we have complete control of our immigration policy for non-EU migrants.....and we still let in an equivalent amount of those as with EU migrants.

The business of governing is complicated, having two governments increases the complexity massively.

Or it gives better controls over one Govt being able to carte blanche invoke anything they want while in power.....a bit like the HOL tries to act as an oversight to the HOC

Err no. Let's be honest the EU's "standing up" to Microsoft took far too long and the action they finally took was pointless and had become irrelevant. I expect the same outcome following the ongoing investigations into Google and Amazon. The EU is very ineffective in this area.

Err, and how is a single nation going to stand up to a global corporation with any more effectiveness than the purchasing power of 500 million people. How are we going to effectively legislate against EU wide corporation taxation to stop them shifting their profits as they do now

Its going to be far easier to do that while being part of a bigger union.

I'm not really interested in how many businesses you claim to run. Suggest you do a DDG for "EU Red Tape" and educate yourself.

lol, I do CPD rather than search engines to educate myself in this area :p And your statement of 'EU Red tape is strangling British small businesses' is hyperbole of the highest order.

For my entire life every Govt coming in always promises to 'cut red tape', 'save money by cutting waste'....and what happens, new red tape comes in to supercede, not remove, the old red tape and as large institutions are inherently wasteful, one quango replaces another and nothing much happens there either.

So the whole, 'save money by cutting red tape' mantra is the biggest red herring there is.

CONSPIRACY!!!!

or

Quote from article........

"In all these cases, it has been confirmed that the postal vote counting started on Sunday without witnesses and in contradiction to the official rules."

Everyone I know are voting out, the is no one I have spoke to voting in.

Since you keep repeating the 'fact' that you 'know' the vote will be rigged to stay, I guess you're not going to bother wasting your time going to vote :)

Where did I state a fact?

You in people will regret it in 10-20 years time by that I should be nearly dead, so you can chew on you own gristle.

Nigel_Farage_blasts_Operation_Black_Vote_EU_refe.png

Nice bit of stereotyping by the black vote campaign.

Last edited:
How many migrants have Germany processed and physically deported as not meeting refugee or other required status in the last year? And what about other EU countries?

Are these figures available, they would show what, if any, determination is being used to sift economic migrants from the genuine refugees?

They're targeting black and minority ethnic voters... people who are far more likely to support remain, but who are also far less likely to be registered to vote. There was a piece on that on Newsnight last night, if anyone's interested.

so why n ot operation minority vote. why operation black vote?

Because when it was established - ~20 years ago - that's what the central aim was. Since then it's morphed into a broader organisation, but kept the original name... that's not exactly unusual.

ahhhh i thought it was some new thing, good to see old fashioned racism still going strong.

ahhhh i thought it was some new thing, good to see old fashioned racism still going strong.

Its a Saatchi & Saatchi advert, it's bound to be controversial and it's doing exactly what was intended, getting widespread coverage and people talking about it ;)

Is this article factual?

"However, as of 2014, the Commission was handed a batch of new powers that it could plausibly use to do just this – powers already being mobilised against Poland’s elected, conservative leaders.

The Commission can now trigger a “rule of law mechanism” (Article 7 TEU) against nations it perceives as deviating from “the common constitutional traditions of all Member States.” Ultimately, “far-reaching sanctions” can be exerted, and a country can be stripped of all voting rights in the EU and have funding blocked.

In January this year, Frans Timmermans, the first ever unelected Commission “vice president,” who is in charge of “human rights,” triggered the mechanism for the first time against Poland’s government which came to power in a record-breaking, landslide election in 2015."

Full article from The Times here:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/juncker-vows-to-use-new-powers-to-block-the-far-right-nq5r5tnqq

If it is it's incredibly concerning that the EU feels able and willing to veto the wishes, and refuse discourse with a democratically elected government of an EU member state like Poland, who had a landlside far Right election victory.

Yes, very worrying that Juncker can invoke Article 7 against any country he deems to be "far right" or "populist" (which could just mean that they don't agree with him!). Though it never happened thanks to the postal votes they found under the carpet at the last minute, but Juncker was preparing to use it against Austria had they elected their "far right" President instead of the Bellen(d) they did vote for. Although it's unlikely to happen, I imagine it would get invoked if ever the UK returned a UKIP government. This just further compounds the EU's democracy deficit, get out now before it's too late.

BTW - Franciscus Cornelis Gerardus Maria "Frans" Timmermans has been to Poland recently and now the Polish government have signalled that they are ready to concede on some issues. The power these unelected bureaucrats have over democratically elected governments is very real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom