Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Can't you read? he runs many, many businesses. A regular Lord Sir Alan is our Freakbro.

Why, thank you :) but Alan Sugar runs multinational corporations, you were talking about small businesses (actually by definition what you were talking about are called micro businesses, but I didn't see the need to correct you :p)

I'm mostly self employed but am also an accountant/Finance Manager for multiple micro and small businesses (up to £1M turnover) as well as doing returns for many sole traders, so yes I do have a very good knowledge on business 'red tape' and employment legislation.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;29544276 said:
More than half of it was non EU migration.

Which we have total control over. Yet it was still higher than the 'target'.

Which worries me when people cite leaving the EU to control immigration.

There is zero evidence any government, Conservative or Labour wants to limit immigration.

If you vote out, on the basis it will mean less people coming to the UK you are deluded.

Caporegime
We don't know because the government won't release those statistics as it would fuel anti-EU and anti-immigration feeling
Whether that is the case or not, it doesn't make the statistic any more useful, does it?

Can't you read? he runs many, many businesses. A regular Lord Sir Alan is our Freakbro.

No need to be so falsely obsequious, I think he said he ran a couple. Why can't you just accept that he might actually have some expertise in this area? Other than it isn't convenient for you trying to put a point across that you don't have any experience of?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Which worries me when people cite leaving the EU to control immigration.

There is zero evidence any government, Conservative or Labour wants to limit immigration.

If you vote out, on the basis it will mean less people coming to the UK you are deluded.
But once we leave the big bad EU we'll totally control our borders and only let in a small amount of useful people. Because, yes.

Caporegime
We don't know because the government won't release those statistics as it would fuel anti-EU and anti-immigration feeling

Actually, what we can see at a very quick skim is that of that 330,000 figure, net migration for EU citizens was 184,000. So with 146,000 of that figure being from outside the EU, which we do currently control with a Visa system, and from the trending data, EU and non-EU immigration will be pretty much the same by the end of 2016. it's not exactly indicative of much desire to limit immigration, is it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Whether that is the case or not, it doesn't make the statistic any more useful, does it?

Whilst we don't know how many of them had a job, we do know they all needed some where to live, and a lot of them will need to use our public services at some point. Unfortunately you can't just click your fingers and have all the infrastructure and housing in place for at least 330,000 extra people a year. We only build around 135,000 houses per year, which clearly means there's a short fall. It's alright though, I suppose Brits don't mind living with their parents until they're 28.

Caporegime
Whilst we don't know how many of them had a job, we do know they all needed some where to live, and a lot of them will need to use our public services at some point. Unfortunately you can't just click your fingers and have all the infrastructure and housing in place for at least 330,000 extra people a year. We only build around 135,000 houses per year, which clearly means there's a short fall. It's alright though, I suppose Brits don't mind living with their parents until they're 28.

Now you're extrapolating based on assumptions that, by your own definition, you can't back up; given that you can't tell me how many of these immigrants -Came with a job, Came without a job, Have come to use services, Have come to pay tax, Have contributed to the tax system more than they have taken out in services, Have received benefits, Have not receive benefits, etc.

NB I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that it's not as simple as just saying "net migration is 330,00 therefore its bad".

Eg these people need somewhere to live - yes they do, so they pay rent into the economy (let the evils of buy-to-letting be another thread), and they pay into the local economy through purchase of goods, services and amenities.

Soldato
Actually, what we can see at a very quick skim is that of that 330,000 figure, net migration for EU citizens was 184,000. So with 146,000 of that figure being from outside the EU, which we do currently control with a Visa system, and from the trending data, EU and non-EU immigration will be pretty much the same by the end of 2016. it's not exactly indicative of much desire to limit immigration, is it?

I guess the main difference is that the non-EU people probably have a good reason to come here and are people we wouldn't want to turn away, where as we know nothing about the EU citizens moving here

Caporegime
How many houses were built in that period?

Nowhere near enough obviously, but I'd suggest the shortage of housing supply is really another topic, given successive governments failures to regulate the building industry properly in this area, and being happy for them to sit back on large tracts of land and just drip feed supply in order to prop the housing market up. Happy to debate it in another thread if you are..

Permabanned
Nowhere near enough obviously, but I'd suggest the shortage of housing supply is really another topic, given successive governments failures to regulate the building industry properly in this area, and being happy for them to sit back on large tracts of land and just drip feed supply in order to prop the housing market up. Happy to debate it in another thread if you are..

I agree but some people just ignore the practicalities of mass immigration.

Caporegime
I guess the main difference is that the non-EU people probably have a good reason to come here and are people we wouldn't want to turn away, where as we know nothing about the EU citizens moving here

No you're right about that, all we can look at is that there are 2.1million EU nationals employed in the UK (ONS), and according to HMRC, they more than pay their way.

Those who arrived in Britain in the last four years paid £2.54bn more in income tax and national insurance than they received in tax credits or child benefit in 2013-14.

So the only quantifiable evidence we have says that these immigrants are contributing more to the public coffers than they are taking. I don't for a second deny there are pressures on local services, especially housing, but it sort of puts that 330,000 net migration figure to rest as a useful statistic, doesn't it. It's almost....scare-mongering with a big number isn't it. Project fear if you will :eek:.

Soldato
Now you're extrapolating based on assumptions that, by your own definition, you can't back up; given that you can't tell me how many of these immigrants -Came with a job, Came without a job, Have come to use services, Have come to pay tax, Have contributed to the tax system more than they have taken out in services, Have received benefits, Have not receive benefits, etc.

NB I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that it's not as simple as just saying "net migration is 330,00 therefore its bad".

Eg these people need somewhere to live - yes they do, so they pay rent into the economy (let the evils of buy-to-letting be another thread), and they pay into the local economy through purchase of goods, services and amenities.

The onus isn't on me to prove that though, if you're going to open the door to 183,000 people the government should be the one's to prove to us that they're coming here and contributing.

Fantastic they're paying rent, they're also driving demand and pushing up house prices for people who already live here and who already have sky high house prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom