Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
As Lord Sugar keeps reminding us, he started out selling car aerials and electronics components out of a van before he made it big.

I'm a lazy bugger though and have no inclination to work any harder!

I apologise for that post btw - I am a bit grumpier than usual this morning and the comment was out of order.

No worries mate, I'm the same and post far more sarcastic things than I probably should when tired, no offence taken :)

Anyway, time to hit the road as it's back to Devon for me for another party weekend! :D

Soldato
I disagree. The user base is incredibly diverse; geographically, age, socially and position in society.

Perhaps it's just more accurate? Less 'weighted'.

You think this computer enthusiast forum with a 95%+ male presence is more diverse than other polls available, showing a much tighter split?

I can understand saying that poll results are not worth much but saying the OCuk poll is likely more accurate and diverse than the vast majority of polls showing an even split is pretty ludicrous.

Last edited:
Soldato
Polls are useful but only to an extent, it's alright saying that 78% of non-white people will vote Remain (or whatever the figure was), but if they only number 5 million and only 2 million of them are registered to vote, and of that 2 million only 800,000 actually go and vote, it doesn't mean much. Where as you look at the 65+ group that out number the non-whites, and are more likely to vote leave, and crucially are far more likely to be registered and actually go out and vote. You can see where the polls fall down. Same with Students, more likely to vote Remain, far less likely to get out of bed and vote.

Suspended
You think this computer enthusiast forum with a 95%+ male presence is more diverse than other polls available, showing a much tighter split?

I can understand saying that poll results are not worth much but saying the OCuk poll is likely more accurate and diverse than the vast majority of polls showing an even split is pretty ludicrous.

Not based on the factors I listed. And what does sex matter?

Soldato
Not based on the factors I listed. And what does sex matter?

When you are talking about diversity, sex does matter. Ignoring it because you think it might not, does not make the poll just as diverse as one that does have a both a significant amount of men and women. Do you think race is represented fairly by OCuk poll?

Also, why do you think it holds a more diverse social range?

Suspended
When you are talking about diversity, sex does matter. Ignoring it because you think it might not does not make the poll just as diverse as one that does have a both a significant amount of men and women. Do you think race is represented fairly by OCuk poll?

Also, why do you think it holds a more diverse social range?

Firstly, if you look at the sample size for most polls, it's pathetic. Incredibly small. Often <1000 people. OCUK offers a massive sample size.

I think OCUK is racially diverse - that's not in doubt is it? We could hold a poll if you wish, but I am sure that would offend a lot of people.

Sex doesn't matter. I don't accept for one second that a man or woman in the exact same socio/economic position would make different choices if their life aspirations and views are the same.

Soldato
Probably because GD consists of mostly white working or lower-middle class males who haven't taken their globalisation pills yet.

Nice way of insulting anyone who is not a die hard "stay in". I'm largely undecided but leaning towards leave. I work for a company which CEO was german (before we where brought up) and work in a small team of Brits/Scots as well as peeps from spain, usa, Jordon. The greater company has people form all around the world. This is without talking about the customer base as well.

Should I take more globalisation pills ?

Caporegime
Nice way of insulting anyone who is not a die hard "stay in". I'm largely undecided but leaning towards leave. I work for a company which CEO was german (before we where brought up) and work in a small team of Brits/Scots as well as peeps from spain, usa, Jordon. The greater company has people form all around the world. This is without talking about the customer base as well.

Should I take more globalisation pills ?

Wasn't my intention dude. I'm a hardcore Brexiter myself and would include myself in that set of people.

Soldato
Sex doesn't matter. I don't accept for one second that a man or woman in the exact same socio/economic position would make different choices if their life aspirations and views are the same.

While that may be true you cannot assume that there is an equal amount of men and women in the same position. You include diversity of sex in polls because professions, class, social opinion can skew one way or another. physicists are noted as being remainers for personal work related reasons and while a male scientist thinks the same as a female scientist in the same position, there is no doubt that the industry has a larger percentage of men. Due to OCuk sampling, i doubt we have a fair representation of female dominated industries which tend to vote one way or another.

The yougov poll quoted throughout these threads have a huge diverse sample with plenty of information on skews based on everything from education to the paper they read.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The ONS says the UK population with increase by 4 million by 2024, how is that sustainable!
How isn't it

I feel like as long as GDP is increasing then nothing else matters to the government, things like quality of life and happiness aren't even something that's considered.

They are right you are wrong. GDP per capita is king, its what allows the country to pay fir everything, which improves quality if life etc. As long as GDP per capita is increasing it's a good thing, and it is.
Despite increase in population GDP oer capita has raised year on year.
In 2010 it was £39471 and in 2014 $40967

Soldato
They are right you are wrong. GDP per capita is king, its what allows the country to pay fir everything, which improves quality if life etc. As long as GDP per capita is increasing it's a good thing, and it is.

It's not though is it? if house prices increase, the cost of living also increase, we're all crammed onto public transport and work 12 hours a day instead of 7 or 8 then our quality of life isn't improving. So no I'm not wrong.

Soldato
How isn't it

Despite increase in population GDP oer capita has raised year on year.
In 2010 it was £39471 and in 2014 $40967

Increase in GDP per capita means nothing if its the top 1-5% of the population that's getting that extra wealth. Same reason why I'm very sceptical of the house holds will be £4500 worse comments.

Man of Honour
It's not though is it? if house prices increase, the cost of living also increase, we're all crammed onto public transport and work 12 hours a day instead of 7 or 8 then our quality of life isn't improving. So no I'm not wrong.

You are, house prices have little to do with your reasoning.
If there was a house price crash, houses would be just as expensive and just as hard to get. The problem with house prices is regulation. Not EU, not immigration etc.

The higher GDP per capita the more tax and thus more can be spent on infrastructure, welfare, nhs etc. What it's actually spent on is down to the government. But higher GDP per capita, really is king, without it you don't have the money fir reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom