Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
GDP is rising , welfare is being cut (apart from pensions of course) infrastructure spending outside of London is pathetic. Yet the top rate of tax was slashed.

And your point? Ok I know your point.
Which has already been covered. Crap public with crap party. You still need a goverment which spends the revenue in the right areas.
Your point however is meaningless, again say another party got on and reversed those things, they still need the funds to di that, and where do those funds come from?
So yes GDP per capita is still top of the list.

Soldato
And your point? Ok I know your point.
Which has already been covered. Crap public with crap party. You still need a goverment which spends the revenue in the right areas.
Your point however is meaningless, again say another party got on and reversed those things, they still need the funds to di that, and where do those funds come from?
So yes GDP per capita is still top of the list.

You where one thats saying a higher GDP = a higher quality of life. GDP is not the be all and end all to the quality of life, social and society aspect play a massive role in a quality of life.

My original point boils down to the benefit/wealth of a higher GDP probably not being seeing by the average lower/lower middle class persons on the street. I would love to see some figures on the division of wealth in the UK next to GDP.

Associate
Does anyone else believe that Boris really wants our of the EU, or he is just doing it to further his political career and likely become PM if we leave?

I don't believe a word he says, or Gove for that matter. Both in it as they are sniffing around with half a chance of becoming PM.

I had high hopes when Boris came out for Leave, as he seemed to be someone who could speak to a wide range of the electorate. Now, I'm not so sure - I'm fighting a gut feeling he's a bit of an oaf and an oaf with an ulterior motive at that.

Not sure how much of that view is being coloured by the lacklustre, verging on ****-poor, performance of Vote Leave, who I think are far too close to the Tories - the whole thing is beginning to stink of a Tory stitch-up. Personally, I think GO would have put up a more combative performance if they'd got the nomination. I've had three bits of pro-EU propaganda through the door - including Dave's £9m offering, which ended up with a rather obscene Anglo-Saxon phrase scrawled across it and then got posted back - but not a single one from Vote Leave.

Happy to be proved wrong, but I think the government's endless ramping-up of the fear factor will win the day, although in some quarters they're in danger of overplaying that particular hand. People I speak to are saying it comes across like people in high places with the same vested interest all doing favours for each other.

Soldato
I inadvisedly and against my wishes got involved in a referendum discussion with some work colleagues last night, both were stay voters.

The discussion was good spirited and ultimately fruitless because we had different World outlooks which weren't going to be changed.

Both were young, early thirties, married, degree educated, professionals.

We talked about soveriegnty and a comment one made and the other wholeheartedly endorsed was they do not trust UK voters and think they are ill informed. They thought having unelected bureaucrats, scientits and corporate lobbyists make the laws largely without reference to the electorate was preferable and thought referendums even on major issues were an inconvenience. They didn't go quite so far as to say they didn't believe in Universal Suffrage but certainly thought it shoud be qualified. I mercilessly lampooned this as they did my arguments but I was left feeling a little sad they were so sanguine about the right of common voters to have some say in their own future.

I haven't decided if this is a generational divide or an educated middle class liberal disdain for people not like them.
In the same breath did they tell you how staunchly anti-fascist they are?

Man of Honour
You where one thats saying a higher GDP = a higher quality of life. GDP is not the be all and end all to the quality of life, social and society aspect play a massive role in a quality of life.

My original point boils down to the benefit/wealth of a higher GDP probably not being seeing by the average lower/lower middle class persons on the street. I would love to see some figures on the division of wealth in the UK next to GDP.

No, I did not say it was the only factor, I said it was the biggest factor, which it is.

What ever you think, quality of life is very high in the uk. We're ranked 14th and if you want better quality if life you need more GDP per capita to spend on people.

Soldato
Happy to be proved wrong, but I think the government's endless ramping-up of the fear factor will win the day, although in some quarters they're in danger of overplaying that particular hand

As irrational as it sounds, I'd vote leave on the basis of project fear alone.

It's ridiculous. My house will be worth less, my pocket will be lighter, I'll lose my job, my plane will be bombed, the US will invade, famine, pestilence, dogs and cats living together.......mass hysteria.

It's a joke. I'd be happy to vote in - better the devil and all that but the more it goes on and the more I'm told that voting out will cause the end of the world the more I want to vote out - it's like telling someone not to push the red button.

Soldato

It's ridiculous. My house will be worth less, my pocket will be lighter, I'll lose my job, my plane will be bombed, the US will invade, famine, pestilence, dogs and cats living together.......mass hysteria.

It's a joke. I'd be happy to vote in - better the devil and all that but the more it goes on and the more I'm told that voting out will cause the end of the world the more I want to vote out - it's like telling someone not to push the red button.

So what about the same coming from Leave campaigners? That if we don't we'll be swamped by immigrants, ISIS will invade, the EU will take control of our army, "sovereignty", the majority of our laws will be dictated by Brussels, etc etc?

There is ridiculous fear-based rhetoric from both sides, so I don't see what people keep talking about "Project Fear" as something only Remain campaigners are guilty of. The above examples are summaries of some arguments I've seen from those supporting the Leave movement, they are often just as ludicrous as claims that WW3 will break out if we don't stay.

Last edited:
Associate
I vote leave because the government is relentlessly scaremongering people into staying. Look at the lies Westminster promised with the Scottish referendum. They cannot be trusted.

Caporegime
Both official campaigns are as bad as each other, with the amount of scaremongering and this "project fear" (what a goddawful term, I can't wait to see the back of it).

So yeah, it does sound irrational. And hypocritical.

Soldato
I vote leave because the government is relentlessly scaremongering people into staying. Look at the lies Westminster promised with the Scottish referendum. They cannot be trusted.

You shouldn't base your vote on propaganda, regardless of whether it is in favour of or against the propagandas message, the issue is far too important for that.

Suspended
Both official campaigns are as bad as each other, with the amount of scaremongering and this "project fear" (what a goddawful term, I can't wait to see the back of it).

It isn't your place to criticise his motivation for voting. I think we can all accept that his comments are tongue in cheek, he's clearly expressing frustration and rightly so. The Referendum is a complete shambles, so it's little wonder some of the electorate are feeling that way.

l'esprit de vos propres oignons as the French say :p

Soldato

Both campaigns have been poor. I feel Cameron has some guilt in this. His presence has made this very much about the Conservative big beasts and "civil war". Without his presence the media may have given some more light on Gisella Stewart, Kate Howey and other lefties. As it is we have the Dave, boris soap opera which has stifled debate. I wish he'd made his position clear then left the Remain camapign to a non-cabinet member to lead.

Soldato
If the OCUK formites put as much energy into UK politics as it does the EU the UK would be a better place.

Outside of the elections we more or less let them get on with it.

Great to see so much being discussed here.

I don't think those that want to remain can paint a rosy EU picture we are after all, at a crisis point in the EU's history with the migration problem and the economy posing huge problems.

I feel that the UK could play a large part in helping the rest of Europe with it's knowledge of financial markets, drive and determination. However I feel that this opportunity has been missed by Cameron by deciding have a referendum at possibly the most problematic time in the EU's history.

V F

V F

Soldato

Caporegime
It isn't your place to criticise his motivation for voting. I think we can all accept that his comments are tongue in cheek, he's clearly expressing frustration and rightly so. The Referendum is a complete shambles, so it's little wonder some of the electorate are feeling that way.
It may have been tongue in cheek, it was still finding fault with only one side of the campaign though, when they're both as bad as each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom