Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended
It's not though is it? if house prices increase, the cost of living also increase, we're all crammed onto public transport and work 12 hours a day instead of 7 or 8 then our quality of life isn't improving. So no I'm not wrong.

Except that isn't true for all. If my house increases in value then great,but my mortgage is the same or less (higher LTV). It's an issue for people buying, but that's not a uniform issue.

No argument about QOL though. I commute 3 hrs a day and have been for years. Can't imagine I'll be able to sustain the pace for ever, so the point will come when I'll need to retire or look for something closer to home on less money.

Permabanned
How isn't it
We simply aren't building enough houses.

They are right you are wrong. GDP per capita is king, its what allows the country to pay fir everything, which improves quality if life etc. As long as GDP per capita is increasing it's a good thing, and it is.
Despite increase in population GDP oer capita has raised year on year.
In 2010 it was £39471 and in 2014 $40967

Can you show me the link between GDP and quality of life please.

GDP may well be going up, tell me how that is good for low earners.

Man of Honour
Increase in GDP per capita means nothing if its the top 1-5% of the population that's getting that extra wealth. Same reason why I'm very sceptical of the house holds will be £4500 worse comments.

Rubbish as it is still linked to tax, which then increases the pot, so you can spend more on welfare, infrastructure etc.
So it makes a massive difference regardless of wage.
Again what current government actually spends it on is a different matter. Change government they still need the money to reform. Which comes from GDP.

Housing issue, is not simply about building more.
Theres lots more reasons, second homes, by to let, construction type(for some reason we still only build in one if the most expensive ways, which also has poor sound and heat insulation values), planning regs both fir construction and land.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can you show me the link between GDP and quality of life please.

GDP may well be going up, tell me how that is good for low earners.

Look at the list, countries with high GDP are almost entirely those with high quality of life.

What do you think finds welfare and all the other expenditures for almost half the population, who pay less tax than they receive.

Also why assume we have poor quality of life, uk is ranked 14th.

Permabanned
Rubbish as it is still linked to tax, which then increases the pot, so you can spend more on welfare, infrastructure etc.
Again what current government actually spends it on is a different matter. Change government they still need the money to reform. Which comes from GDP.

But the Conservatives are engaged in a program of cuts. The NHS is being starved of cash. Schools are struggling to cope with the number of pupils, there is a shortage of affordable housing.

The reality is, GDP is an awful metric.

Soldato
Does anyone else believe that Boris really wants our of the EU, or he is just doing it to further his political career and likely become PM if we leave?

I don't believe a word he says, or Gove for that matter. Both in it as they are sniffing around with half a chance of becoming PM.

Permabanned
Look at the list, countries with high GDP are almost entirely those with high quality of life.

What do you think finds welfare and all the other expenditures for almost half the population, who pay less tax than they receive.

So my quality of life will have improved if GDP rises when the next set of statistics are published?

Soldato
Can you show me that? I am not being a douche, genuinely would like to see.

Certainly, its quite interesting. This is the table showing the skews with the groups that took the poll. Interestingly the poll does not include undecided and non voters which this forum poll does not and though many feel strongly on the issue, many have also commented on these threads along the lines of: 'not sure, out/in if i had to choose'.

I will see if i can hunt down the full results of the poll this table was linked to

div_EU3.png

Man of Honour
So my quality of life will have improved if GDP rises when the next set of statistics are published?

An extremely good chance on average.
Individually it varies, but buy country, money is king, and being able to afford stuff, makes everyone life better.

Countries like Sweden, Norway, switzerland top the ranks for quality and GDP per capita and there's very much a correlation. Which should be obvious why. Although some countries can **** it up by electing rubbish governments,

It doesn't help that public fights against reform that would make quality if life better. Look at a lot if the top countries and we would never vote them in. Got to be tough on crime although we know it doesn't work and we know scientifically why it doesn't work. But sod knowledge, it's all about blood lust.

Last edited:
Suspended
Certainly, its quite interesting. This is the table showing the skews with the groups that took the poll. Interestingly the poll does not include undecided and non voters which this forum poll does not and though many feel strongly on the issue, many have also commented on these threads along the lines of: 'not sure, out/in if i had to choose'.

I will see if i can hunt down the full results of the poll this table was linked to

div_EU3.png

Thanks for posting that. I don't see a breakdown by sex?

Permabanned
Why do people where I live then struggle to get a doctors appointment in a reasonable time?

Why is my local authority closing children services in order to save £500,000 per year?

GDP is up after all.

Man of Honour
Why do people where I live then struggle to get a doctors appointment in a reasonable time?

Why is my local authority closing children services in order to save £500,000 per year?

GDP is up after all.

Possibly due to government spending it on other stuff. You know Party politics and being far right.
If say labour or anyone else gets in, how do you think they could afford those changes without GDP?
And that is actually my main issue with labour. They don't secure the economy to implement there plans.
While I have more faith in Tories with GDP, but god most of their policies suck.

Soldato
Does anyone else believe that Boris really wants our of the EU, or he is just doing it to further his political career and likely become PM if we leave?

I don't believe a word he says, or Gove for that matter. Both in it as they are sniffing around with half a chance of becoming PM.

Surely you can't believe anything Dave or George are saying either... Nobody is covering themselves in glory on this.

Soldato
Thanks for posting that. I don't see a breakdown by sex?

While there is no split in the overall yougov poll (listed under 10 points) that is because the very large sample of people from many industries. It would be fair to say that this forum with a concentration of men from certain industries introduces a skew to our polls.

What i am saying is, just because men/women are split evenly in a large diverse poll, it doesn't mean there is no skew due to sex when you take a poll of mostly men from certain walks of life.

Soldato
Firstly, if you look at the sample size for most polls, it's pathetic. Incredibly small. Often <1000 people. OCUK offers a massive sample size.

You're wrong on this one I'm afraid.

The OCUK poll is nowhere near accurate for two reasons. Firstly, polling has shown that women tend to be more in favour of voting to remain. That skews the poll straight away. Secondly, although the OCUK membership may well cover all locations and social statuses, the people voting tend to have a vested interest one way or another. That's why there are only 1088 votes compared to the vast number of OCUK members. Other polls have shown that those who care strongly about our status in the EU tend to want to leave.

Suspended
You're wrong on this one I'm afraid.

The OCUK poll is nowhere near accurate for two reasons. Firstly, polling has shown that women tend to be more in favour of voting to remain. That skews the poll straight away. Secondly, although the OCUK membership may well cover all locations and social statuses, the people voting tend to have a vested interest one way or another. That's why there are only 1088 votes compared to the vast number of OCUK members. Other polls have shown that those who care strongly about our status in the EU tend to want to leave.

I don't mind being wrong if that's the case. I just want to understand it. I am struggling to accept that women would be in favour of remaining - which polls have indicated that?

Caporegime

Wonder who the 3% of UKIP voters are who want to stay in the EU :p

Soldato

Housing issue, is not simply about building more.
Theres lots more reasons, second homes, by to let, construction type(for some reason we still only build in one if the most expensive ways, which also has poor sound and heat insulation values), planning regs both fir construction and land.

GDP is rising , welfare is being cut (apart from pensions of course) infrastructure spending outside of London is pathetic. Yet the top rate of tax was slashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom