Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The immigration issue is not central to my decision to leave because I think we will need keep some form of free movement with the EU post Brexit.

But that said the reason people are rightly annoyed about immigration is because they have NEVER been asked whether it is a Government policy they want to endorse. When it comes to governing by consent migration is entirely withheld from the voters of the UK.

In 1997 no-one stood on a manifesto of increasing the UK population by 3 or 4 million in a decade yet that is what happened and continues to happen.
https://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calc...03hidc261c10adhai?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=42

Many people live in communities that are and have been rapidly changing, and it is change they never asked for and were never consulted on and when they voiced concerns they were shouted down as racists irrespective of their beliefs. They have the right to be angry of a political class that despises and ignores them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Many people live in communities that are and have been rapidly changing, and it is change they never asked for and were never consulted on and when they voiced concerns they were shouted down as racists irrespective of their beliefs. They have the right to be angry of a political class that despises and ignores them.

These are the people hated by the left too incidently, poor white working class people perceived as stupid racists - which may be true in some cases, but when you look at Rotherham clearly there was some truth amongst it all. The failure to address their concerns in main stream politics is why parties like the BNP and EDL became more popular, and this drove even further divisions between the right and left

Caporegime
So by your logic, everyone outside the EU is xenophobic because they don't support free-movement between themselves and their continental neighbors.

Why are you all frothing at the mouth to jump on people.

All i said was it isnt racist (obviously) its merely xenophobic.

You guys are trying to make issues where there is none here.

Its just the correct word to define peoples irrational fear of non British people, read the press read the polls on Poles.

Now you will go on and say its not about that, its about overcrowding, house prices, school places and other complete tosh. All which will remain when the Uk leaves in a few weeks. Maybe. But the they aint British.... Id rather 5 million chav unemployed brits were deported to make space for those that have made an effort. None of your lives are going to get any brighter or your job chances increase, but its nice you have something to get behind while you queue for your dole money.

anyway lets all sing vera lynn songs and remember the good old days of Blitz spirit and cliche BS.

Soldato
When people are talking about immigration, it's important to remember that even if we leave the EU, it's almost a certainty that immigration levels will stay the same. We will join the EEA, which gives the same freedom of movement to nationals within the EEA.

The reason why immigration is an issue in the debate is because UKIP have used it a blunt instrument to leverage themselves into the limelight and the leave campaign are cynically using the ground made with UKIP to further their cause.

The remain campaign are paralysed on the issue because their most two powerful figureheads are the PM and the chancellor, both of whom know any chance of keeping Boris out of power rests on not tearing their party apart further. Remember that the referendum itself was a gambit by Cameron to stymie the vote being lost to UKIP in the last election. Corbyn is a disaster.

Anyone who is truly concerned about immigration levels from Continental Europe should be voting to remain. All leaving does is keep the doors open to the EEA and loses our control over who joins it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Both, but out of control immigration numbers is the main thing we can control out of the EU.

How do you explain similar levels of net migration did not cause so much noise between 2004 and 2007? Or that areas which take in the highest number of migrants(ie London) show the lowest levels of support for Brexit/Ukip?

Caporegime
How do you explain similar levels of net migration did not cause so much noise between 2004 and 2007? Or that areas which take in the highest number of migrants(ie London) show the lowest levels of support for Brexit/Ukip?

Yes it did - but the cries of racist/xenophobe drowned the noise out back then. London has always had a younger/more naive population living there. Once you get out of the 'burbs and into the commuter belts support for Brexit is higher. In fact support for Brexit is highest is parts of Essex.

Soldato

I would guess it's because only 45% of London is White British, obviously migrants and children of migrants aren't going to support anything that's perceived as anti-immigration

No, it isn't, we will join the EEA and have the same freedom of movement.

Control over our borders is a political diversion.

Oh sorry mate, I didn't realise you were in charge of the post EU negotiations

Man of Honour
No it's not rubbish as that is where most of the noise is coming from.

So it's obvious that most of the leave campaign hate immigrants? I still assert it's rubbish. Most people agree that we need more control of immigration but it is still essential to our economy to have immigration.

Wanting more control but still wanting some degree of immigration isn't hating them. So yes it is indeed rubbish.

Soldato
So after we leave the EU, how do we control our borders differently? I don't mean the minutiae, I mean in general.

I hope no-one is seriously suggesting we leave the EEA too?

Associate
Why are you all frothing at the mouth to jump on people.

All i said was it isnt racist (obviously) its merely xenophobic.

You guys are trying to make issues where there is none here.

Its just the correct word to define peoples irrational fear of non British people, read the press read the polls on Poles.

Now you will go on and say its not about that, its about overcrowding, house prices, school places and other complete tosh. All which will remain when the Uk leaves in a few weeks. Maybe. But the they aint British.... Id rather 5 million chav unemployed brits were deported to make space for those that have made an effort. None of your lives are going to get any brighter or your job chances increase, but its nice you have something to get behind while you queue for your dole money.

anyway lets all sing vera lynn songs and remember the good old days of Blitz spirit and cliche BS.
There you go, assuming everyone is irrational for having an opinion of other people. That is the problem that I was getting at, xenophobia and racism at the moment are weighted words to imply ignorance, irrationality and hatred / fear when there is no willingness to accept reason or evidence. I accept some people hate things irrationally but how many people are you going to prejudise against and assume are irrational and hateful to make it an argument worth mentioning? It's just another stereotype really and one that has become politically acceptable within the PC culture.

Again you quickly move to the 'oh nothing wrong with the foreigners, wish we could get rid of more UK people' argument too. Sure there's dross on either end but it's more an issue when cultures clash and it causes problems in regards to having a cohesive society such as the sharia courts or the hidden schools I linked to. You've even started talking about dole money like a gibbering loon, one minute you try and pretend nothing is being said and the next you're blurting out more commonly held stereotypes. Either way, I've stated it's impossible to argue and convince idiots and I'll stand by it, you only proved it by blurting out more ridiculous assumptions.

Soldato
Yes it did - but the cries of racist/xenophobe drowned the noise out back then. London has always had a younger/more naive population living there. Once you get out of the 'burbs and into the commuter belts support for Brexit is higher. In fact support for Brexit is highest is parts of Essex.

I'm sorry but, as usual, the facts and figures don't agree with you. UKIP had been mud wrestling with the BNP at 1-5% since its inception before the financial crisis. It hits in 2008 and bam! Ukip surges to 16%. Just a coincidence eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom