Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Something my dad wrote recently:

Poem for Mr. Cameron

I don’t care if my vote will cause World War Three
I don’t care if it causes plague and global dysentery
I have no fear of the predictions of the IMF
The prediction of of permanent recession, pestilence and death.

I don’t like your friend Obama telling me what to do
His bullying threats: “get to the back of the queue”
I don’t trust officials warning that Britain’s too weak on its own
The world's Britain’s oyster; we’ll never walk alone.

I am proud of the achievements of the country of my birth
It has traditions and democracy, of a priceless worth
A thousand years of freedom you ask me to forego
Just to please some Brussels bureaucrats and their precious Euro.

I like Europeans; I like their food and music, too
But I prefer Jamaican reggae and a plate of vindaloo
And for all Europe’s many wonders, it’s the world that beckons me
I see a global, international future, as Britain’s destiny.

So Mr. Cameron, if you read this, I’m ignoring your warning
Britain has a bright new future, there is a new day dawning
Hope, optimism and confidence, is what I believe.
So on June 23rd, I’m going to vote Leave!

Soldato
I'm probably going to vote to leave.

One thing I've never understood is the whole warranty thing. EU countries are supposed to get 24 month warranty's, but we only get 12months.

When my Xbox one broke just after the 12month warranty ran out, I attempted to get Microsoft to fix it saying it was within the 2 year warranty and stated EU law etc, but they said It was purchased in the UK so only has 12months. had to pay for them to replace it in the end.

Pretty sure that's because UK decided not to implement that part EU law. There are plenty of EU laws that vary between different EU countries.
Unlike what some people think not all the laws are forced on countries, they can amend them to suit their needs/ wants

Permabanned
His point was about illegal immigrants crossing the channel in boats. I want to know how being out of the EU will affect that.

Nate

One less band of bleeding heart Liberals on our back pleading their case and offering sanctuary with neither the infrastructure nor the asking of the indigenous population for their opinion or support (Germany, Merkel)? The EU have proven already to be unwilling to grasp the nettle of illegal economic migrants, we will have no support from them, on the contrary, we will have them as a thorn in our side. I am not saying any UK government with a realistic chance of power in the near future may take a realistic stance against this invasion, but should one take up the cudgels it would be a bonus not to be hamstrung by whining dissent from EU legislation, or the lack of it.

Soldato
One less band of bleeding heart Liberals on our back pleading their case and offering sanctuary with neither the infrastructure nor the asking of the indigenous population for their opinion or support (Germany, Merkel)? The EU have proven already to be unwilling to grasp the nettle of illegal economic migrants, we will have no support from them, on the contrary, we will have them as a thorn in our side. I am not saying any UK government with a realistic chance of power in the near future may take a realistic stance against this invasion, but should one take up the cudgels it would be a bonus not to be hamstrung by whining dissent from EU legislation, or the lack of it.

So in essence, nothing changes.

Nate

Caporegime
I'm probably going to vote to leave.

One thing I've never understood is the whole warranty thing. EU countries are supposed to get 24 month warranty's, but we only get 12months.

When my Xbox one broke just after the 12month warranty ran out, I attempted to get Microsoft to fix it saying it was within the 2 year warranty and stated EU law etc, but they said It was purchased in the UK so only has 12months. had to pay for them to replace it in the end.

Quite possibly because the UK government opted out ot implementing that requirement. Like things like the working time directive which we were goliven an opt out for.

That's one of the reasons I don't believe many of the consumer, environmental and other rights we have received over the last 20+ years would have come in if we weren't in the EU and why they may be threatened if we leave. That, and free movement are two of the main reasons I don't think we should leave.

Edit:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

There has been an increase in people using a little-known European Union directive to get retailers to refund or replace faulty goods, even after the stated guarantee periods have ended.

The EU rule allowing the return of goods up to two years after purchase is at odds with the returns policies adopted by most major shops.

However, as this is a directive is only partially adopted by the UK, its use is a grey area.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nit pick much?

Nope. Someone insisting that Cameron is threatening WW3 if we leave is completely incorrect. I'm just pointing out that the only people talking about the UK leaving the EU causing WW3 is people on the leave side.

You certainly can't use it as an example of the so called "project fear" on the remain side.

Caporegime
Nope. Someone insists that Cameron is threatening WW3 if we leave is completely incorrect. I'm just pointing out that the only people talking about the UK leaving the away causing WW3 is people on the leave side.

The point being Cameron and the remain camp are the only ones bringing potential war into the equation.

You can call it what you like, WW3 or simply war, the fact remains.

Caporegime
He was talking about political and societal instability if the EU collapsed. That's not unsubstantiated fear. It's what happens when that sort of thing happens. If that happened it's likely that some national governments would collapse and it could easily create conditions that may cause small conflicts, whether that be local insurgency or regional conflicts.

It's not guaranteed but it would certainly increase the risk.

Caporegime
He was talking about political and societal instability if the EU collapsed. That's not unsubstantiated fear. It's what happens when that sort of thing happens. If that happened it's likely that some national governments would collapse and it could easily create conditions that may cause smaller egional conflicts, whether that be local insurgency or regional conflicts.

It's not guaranteed but it would certainly increase the risk.

Fear, nailed it.

Caporegime
Nothing about WW3 though...;)

The point is having close ties with your neighbours increases stability.

Both sides are using fear to try and sway people, which is why many in this thread are frustrated about both official campaigns.

Edit: and it doesn't help when the media skew speeches and press releases for their own political gain.

Permabanned
Did we lose it?

I must have slept through losing it.

Sovereignty is the full right and power to govern, in a democracy that power is granted on the basis that the people wish it so.

The European Communities Act of 1972 allows the European Union to make laws that are supreme over our own. This means the UK hasn't been a sovereign nation since 1972. The only reason this was allowed is because we still have the power to repeal the Act.

Soldato
Something my dad wrote recently:

Poem for Mr. Cameron

I don’t care if my vote will cause World War Three
I don’t care if it causes plague and global dysentery
I have no fear of the predictions of the IMF
The prediction of of permanent recession, pestilence and death.

I don’t like your friend Obama telling me what to do
His bullying threats: “get to the back of the queue”
I don’t trust officials warning that Britain’s too weak on its own
The world's Britain’s oyster; we’ll never walk alone.

I am proud of the achievements of the country of my birth
It has traditions and democracy, of a priceless worth
A thousand years of freedom you ask me to forego
Just to please some Brussels bureaucrats and their precious Euro.

I like Europeans; I like their food and music, too
But I prefer Jamaican reggae and a plate of vindaloo
And for all Europe’s many wonders, it’s the world that beckons me
I see a global, international future, as Britain’s destiny.

So Mr. Cameron, if you read this, I’m ignoring your warning
Britain has a bright new future, there is a new day dawning
Hope, optimism and confidence, is what I believe.
So on June 23rd, I’m going to vote Leave!

Brilliant

Borrowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom