Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
As the original manifesto was to prevent future wars in Europe which France and Germany readily joined and were followed by other European nations it has been fully successful. Ignoring wars on our borders like Bosnia.

As a trading bloc it was also successful and the sole reason we joined.

As an economic entity, it has been fairly bad, allowing monetary union without fiscal union. That is unlikely to change.

If the UK leaves, it puts more pressure on the weaker states and also on the stronger ones to support the euro and fund the project for ever closer union. UK growth may well slow down on our leaving, but relative to the EU, it will still be healthy enough. We do not have to reinvent our currency and I have enough belief in industry that they will continue trading where ever they currently do and also seek out new markets.

Politics will become tougher though, no one else to blame, and politicians will need to be smarter than the previous generations of both parties. They will need to devise rules and laws which suit a new competitive reality for the UK.

Soldato
A Titanic, "let's bail bros" analogy, where the departure is starkly reminiscent of the planning for Brexit? Over 2/3 death rates, saved by the ship from the same line named after a region in Eastern Europe -- good one! :D Send it in to Project Fear HQ.

If you like conversation fodder like that, I'll give you something more sensible from the daily grind.

"I'm poor, disabled and out of work. I know nothing about the EU, but I'm getting plenty of stick from the government." Cue common local issues, life, kids and dogs.

You know my arguments.

But tis a swing voter tailor-made for Brexiteers. Alas, "sovereignty, control borders and immigration" aren't buttering his loaf. He couldn't spell the first one; has never left the country and doesn't really care about what happens at Heathrow or Calais; he lives in an area he shares with two people from the Commonwealth, though you'll pick up Romanian and Russian spoken around the town centre. Numbers mean little to him, but he doesn't want to be even poorer. Furthermore, his vote is wasted every election (a familiar story in the Home Counties).

How can Brexit help this chap regain control over his life? For the record: he's voted for Monster Looneys in GEs before; he doesn't vote in other elections.

Funny ol' world outside the bubble, eh?

Soldato
It's the new 'scene', man, if you're not a lefty globalist then you're as good as Pol Pot.
Costa revolutionaries! They sit in trendy coffee shops on their iPads using the free wi-fi to tweet #ResistCapitalism.

The voting age should really be 25 to filter out most of these imbeciles.

Soldato
Costa revolutionaries! They sit in trendy coffee shops on their iPads using the free wi-fi to tweet #ResistCapitalism.

Another pint of bitter then, guv?:p

It used to be 21. No, it didn't 'filter out' all the people you disagree with or lead to a glorious traditional conservative hegemony.

Here, from your sovereign parliament which you distrust so much:
http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/elections-faq-page/

In fact, they gave votes to women, something you detest also no doubt, because on average they end up better educated and less extreme in their voting intentions (yes, yes, all polling is wrong and rigged). :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Another pint of bitter then, guv?:p

It used to be 21. No, it didn't 'filter out' all the people you disagree with or lead to a glorious traditional conservative hegemony.

Here, from your sovereign parliament which you distrust so much:
http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/elections-faq-page/

In fact, they gave votes to women, something you detest also no doubt, because on average they end up better educated and less extreme in their voting intentions (yes, yes, all polling is wrong and rigged). :p
You're not wired right.

Soldato

I thought all leftwing stereotypes were rich enough to afford their own data:confused:

Soldato
"The vision of a euro superstate was an illusion"
"Stop acting in national interests and become full time Europeans"

What?

They're telling you in a nice and polite way not to poop where you eat, and that the tinfoils got it wrong. Cue shock and horror, as the media-birthed narrative doesn't live up to reality.

From a trust media source, RT, I give you the full discussion on the future of the EU from Rome.

Told you they were basically moderate conservatives, with precious few illusions over what is possible to achieve in today's -- not imagined -- Europe.

"Boo, hiss, etc." I know. I'm busy so I'll leave you to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your EU funded trough slipping away, datalol-jack?

More the wrap up of the locals. Back to the ref campaign next week exclusively. But you'll have nice people like Fox, Jack and Moses, and the rest of the magnificent seven, to play with still, so don't cry, Skuns. In your world, "It can only get better." Right?;)

Soldato
RT .... trust .... same sentence ... I can't breathe!

Haha, they wouldn't believe the dub was the real dub if it were from anywhere else. I'm glad RT hosted it on their YT. :p For it saved me a lot more of the "not wired right/you're a plant" shtick. I expect it'll still flood the thread, mind. The paper mills are spinning up as we speak too. Hold the fort if you can.

But to para-quote Dave, "Britain and Twitter GD are not the same thing."

Quitters won't know what hit 'em.:cool:

Caporegime
This isn't a referendum to drag our islands away into the Atlantic and away from mainland Europe. In or out, we'll still be European! We just won't be governed by that overly-bureaucratic and unelected cesspool of corruption and red-tape in Brussels.

Damn! If we could drag the islands slightly south and west, preferably near the Azores or Canary Islands then I would definitely vote out! :p

Associate
They're telling you in a nice and polite way not to poop where you eat, and that the tinfoils got it wrong. Cue shock and horror, as the media-birthed narrative doesn't live up to reality.

From a trust media source, RT, I give you the full discussion on the future of the EU from Rome.

Told you they were basically moderate conservatives, with precious few illusions over what is possible to achieve in today's -- not imagined -- Europe.

"Boo, hiss, etc." I know. I'm busy so I'll leave you to it.
Funny that they've always extolled further integration to the marrow, the quotes Mulder was able to provide and the fact they seem to offer this one concession that they interfere too much right around the time of brexit? You have a tin foil hat yourself if you swallow up any pro EU drivel and ignore the bits you don't like quoted from them.

It's convenient timing for a complete reverse of three traditional sentiment so to call it tin foil hat sceptics is just a lazy smear from pro EU bias. We've yet to see what the future brings so a little conservative speaking rhetoric in the midst of such uncertainty isn't any guarantee there will be no return to normal after the position is reaffirmed. In the end there's no guarantees here and nothing meaningful, there history speaks louder.

Soldato
Funny that they've always extolled further integration to the marrow, the quotes Mulder was able to provide and the fact they seem to offer this one concession that they interfere too much right around the time of brexit? You have a tin foil hat yourself if you swallow up any pro EU drivel and ignore the bits you don't like quoted from them.

It's convenient timing for a complete reverse of three traditional sentiment so to call it tin foil hat sceptics is just a lazy smear from pro EU bias. We've yet to see what the future brings so a little conservative speaking rhetoric in the midst of such uncertainty isn't any guarantee there will be no return to normal after the position is reaffirmed. In the end there's no guarantees here and nothing meaningful, there history speaks louder.

So to summarise:

Swiss vote to restrict free movement, Dutch vote no at the polls (notice nothing in the news about that recently...), Nationalism on the rise across the continent, Britain on the verge of leaving, another Euro crisis getting ever closer, people in Greece striking and writing "Free Greece from the European Prison" in public, but...... don't worry, watch this video and all will be fine. :D

APM

APM

Associate
The thing that irks me quite a lot is the fact that Cameron has given the UK Veto over EU top table policy away in return for his 'reforms'.

So he's lost the UK's most powerful bargaining tool.

If I could see any logic or reason to his stance it wouldn't be so bad but ,to me at least,it all appears to be one gigantic exercise in ego for a posh boy from a posh school who is 'born to rule' with the best of them because of his background.

How this is allowed to happen describes what the UK actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom