Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The fact is a lot of migrants do not spend years learning the language, settling in to the ways of their generous hosts, nor become economically solvent. They remain in their ghettos, unable to speak the language of their hosts, unwilling to work, hamstrung by their lack of language skills, and given the least incentive will head for wherever the money is the greatest. Germany and Sweden have taken, willingly or not, more than their fair share and their indigenous population are getting riled, so these millions will look elsewhere. Once they have EU passports they will be on the move if the handouts and housing is not to their taste. Many English people can see this is a fact, and can see the economic nature of the majority of the hoard crossing Europe, and they want to minimise the risk of them landing up over here, now or a few years down the line. Such is their distaste for them they will probably forego some economic downsides. I am guessing that like me, the more people keep telling them that their fears are groundless and these migrants will never come here, (despite what can be seen around Calais where they are paying strong money to people smugglers to get them out of a safe contry and into the UK), or will be a great good and bring great diversity the more they begin to wonder just how much bull people think they will take ;)

Soldato
Not many people are....but you can using logical reasoning, rather than irrational fear, to extrapolate potential scenarios.

So every time the 'They will get passports and come here' crowd spout off, all we have been asking is what is your logical reasoning for this, based on the criteria of getting the passport and we have had 0 answers so far.
The logical reason is there's this unstable woman with a lot of influence and a few hundred thousand migrants she wants rid of.

I simply can’t take it seriously when someone asserts what will or won’t happen in the future based on policies in place at this moment.

Soldato
They seem an experienced group of economists to be honest, but I'm sure a Uni student in a non-economics related field will be along shortly to tell me they've found a flaw in the groups predictions.

http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/about-us/

Their arguments have been proven to be wrong to hilarously wrong. Among other things, they cite issues such as global warming and equality regulations among reasons why the EU 'holds back' Britain's growth.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9394016c-0d43-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html#axzz48HPX2zf1
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/jeremy-fox/brexit-bunkum-ii-professors-and-their-pamphlet

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact is a lot of migrants do not spend years learning the language, settling in to the ways of their generous hosts, nor become economically solvent. They remain in their ghettos, unable to speak the language of their hosts, unwilling to work, hamstrung by their lack of language skills, and given the least incentive will head for wherever the money is the greatest. Germany and Sweden have taken, willingly or not, more than their fair share and their indigenous population are getting riled, so these millions will look elsewhere.

Then they wont pass the criteria of EU citizenship and get an EU passport and won't be able to come here

Once they have EU passports

they wont get an EU passport and won't be able to come here

they will be on the move if the handouts and housing is not to their taste.

they wont get an EU passport and won't be able to come here

Many English people can see this is a fact

That says more about the British people than it does about the mechanisms of refugees getting EU passports

and can see the economic nature of the majority of the hoard crossing Europe, and they want to minimise the risk of them landing up over here, now or a few years down the line.

Did I mention?

Then they wont pass the criteria of EU citizenship and get an EU passport and won't be able to come here

Such is their distaste for them they will probably forego some economic downsides.

You have distaste for a dislocated population fleeing for their lives from a war zone?? :o :o :o I don't think there are enough embarrased emotes to convey my feelings towards that statement

I am guessing that like me, the more people keep telling them that their fears are groundless and these migrants will never come here, (despite what can be seen around Calais where they are paying strong money to people smugglers to get them out of a safe contry and into the UK), or will be a great good and bring great diversity the more they begin to wonder just how much bull people think they will take ;)

Did I mention?

You are right back at the beginning of the discussion and conflating economic immigrants, refugees and illegal immigrants which are all different kettles of fish and treated differently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Their arguments have been proven to be wrong to hilarously wrong. Among other things, they cite issues such as global warming and equality regulations among reasons why the EU 'holds back' Britain's growth.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9394016c-0d43-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html#axzz48HPX2zf1
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/jeremy-fox/brexit-bunkum-ii-professors-and-their-pamphlet

Can't access the FT article, but the open democracy one is far from unbiased itself.

It doesn't actually "prove wrong" anything in the pamphlet, just attacks the conclusions and offers its own statistics to support the opposite.

And yes, EU regulations, including those on the environment and equality, can and sometimes do hamper UK growth. EU regulations need to be a good fit for all 28 member states, if each state was free to set their own regulations, they could be tailored better to the needs of their peoples.

Here is a more reputable source explaining the problems the UK has with EU regulations

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/...cies-threaten-to-cost-britain-£9265-household

Oh, and whilst we're with the IEA, this report is worth posting too.

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/new-report-debunks-the-eu-jobs-myth

Soldato
The fact is a lot of migrants do not spend years learning the language, settling in to the ways of their generous hosts, nor become economically solvent. They remain in their ghettos, unable to speak the language of their hosts, unwilling to work, hamstrung by their lack of language skills, and given the least incentive will head for wherever the money is the greatest. Germany and Sweden have taken, willingly or not, more than their fair share and their indigenous population are getting riled, so these millions will look elsewhere. Once they have EU passports they will be on the move if the handouts and housing is not to their taste. Many English people can see this is a fact, and can see the economic nature of the majority of the hoard crossing Europe, and they want to minimise the risk of them landing up over here, now or a few years down the line. Such is their distaste for them they will probably forego some economic downsides. I am guessing that like me, the more people keep telling them that their fears are groundless and these migrants will never come here, (despite what can be seen around Calais where they are paying strong money to people smugglers to get them out of a safe contry and into the UK), or will be a great good and bring great diversity the more they begin to wonder just how much bull people think they will take ;)

So these migrants who cant speak the language of the country will end up with passports despite it being one of the requirements and they will come here for benefits like housing, to which they are not legally entitled to?

Also, you think conditions at Calais are safe?

The vast majority wont get a passport. The few that do will not be entitled to most benefits like housing and unemployment benefit will be based on their contribution.

Caporegime
Oh and they are Merkels refugees, not migrants, quite a big difference....

They're not Merkel's anything. They're just refugees, and refugees distinct from those that Germany - in an example the rest of Europe (Sweden aside) should look up to - has generously accepted.

It's utterly pathetic the way the rich West whines and whinges about taking comparatively tiny numbers of refugees while countries such as the Lebanon take in numbers equal to 25% of their existing population and shining examples of human rights and democracy such as Russia and Turkey outshine countries like the UK in their willingness to take refugees.

Soldato
They're not Merkel's anything.

Err...I know :confused: if you didn't spot it I was just being sarcastic to Skunkworks statement they were 'Merkels migrants'.....

They're just refugees, and refugees distinct from those that Germany - in an example the rest of Europe (Sweden aside) should look up to - has generously accepted.

It's utterly pathetic the way the rich West whines and whinges about taking comparatively tiny numbers of refugees while countries such as the Lebanon take in numbers equal to 25% of their existing population and shining examples of human rights and democracy such as Russia and Turkey outshine countries like the UK in their willingness to take refugees.

Absolutely

Associate
You think conditions at Calais are safe?

It's in France you know, they aren't at war, they are a modern democracy, it's a safe country.
There are problems everywhere, should we offer to sort them all out as well.
Just because these economic migrants want to come here because it's better for them is a poor reason for forcing us to accept them.

Soldato
It's in France you know, they aren't at war, they are a modern democracy, it's a safe country.
There are problems everywhere, should we offer to sort them all out as well.
Just because these economic migrants want to come here because it's better for them is a poor reason for forcing us to accept them.

Yes i know it is a country but they are in Calais where it is not safe and they are being met by a lot of prejudice out there unsurprisingly.

Doesn't matter how safe the country is overall, they are in Calais. Do you think Calais is safe?

What about the rest of my post which disputes the reasoning behind leaving the EU due to refugees?

Associate
Yes i know it is a country but they are in Calais where it is not safe and they are being met by a lot of prejudice out there unsurprisingly.

Doesn't matter how safe the country is overall, they are in Calais. Do you think Calais is safe?

Thousands of places in the world aren't safe why is Calais OUR problem ?

Caporegime
Lets here it for Gordon all you remainers. His expertise on the economy must carry some weight right?

Unless you subscribe to the silly notion that he was to blame for the Global Credit Crisis or should somehow have seen it coming when hardly anyone at the time did* I'm not sure why we should have a particularly bad view of his economics? He did, after all, preside over the longest period of growth in recent UK history, and he and Darling were doing a much better job of managing the recovery than Osborne incompetent austerity policy has achieved.

* - And, remember, at the time Osborne and Cameron were busy going to America to praise subprime mortgages and calling for less regulation of the banking industry. Thank goodness they weren't in charge at the time.

Associate
Unless you subscribe to the silly notion that he was to blame for the Global Credit Crisis or should somehow have seen it coming when hardly anyone at the time did* I'm not sure why we should have a particularly bad view of his economics? He did, after all, preside over the longest period of growth in recent UK history, and he and Darling were doing a much better job of managing the recovery than Osborne incompetent austerity policy has achieved.

* - And, remember, at the time Osborne and Cameron were busy going to America to praise subprime mortgages and calling for less regulation of the banking industry. Thank goodness they weren't in charge at the time.

Yeah all those PFI's have been outstandingly good value for money.

Soldato
Thousands of places in the world aren't safe why is Calais OUR problem ?

All those places should be the problem of everyone who is in a country where a comfortable and comparatively lavish lifestyle is the standard.

Just because there are other problems, doesn't mean you can ignore all of them. Neither does it mean because no one is forcing you, you shouldn't do anything. Stop thinking like a fearful old man and be a little more selfless.

Associate
All those places should be the problem of everyone who is in a country where a comfortable and comparatively lavish lifestyle is the standard.

Just because there are other problems, doesn't mean you can ignore all of them. Neither does it mean because no one is forcing you, you shouldn't do anything. Stop thinking like a fearful old man and be a little more selfless.

What have you done in Calais as I presume you must be some sort of activist ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom