Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What have you done in Calais as I presume you must be some sort of activist ?

I am showing my support to take in refugees which will effect all of us and gravely by what many of you are saying. I am even debating it to try and convince others to show support.

As for what i have done in general, i give what i can when i can. Not all of it but I donate old clothes as well as buy new ones to send to the Philippines. Like i said, we should treat the less fortunates problems as if they are ours.

Big difference between deciding everyone else's problems are not worth thinking about because there are too many of them and doing what you can when you can. Yes i have more to give but my attitude is better than yours which is essentially 'Problems are everywhere, why care about any'

As far as being an activist go, i am not a regular campaigner but i went to London recently to join the crowds supporting doctors strikes, as well as added to the numbers showing support for taking in the refugees a while a go. I might not be feeding them directly but better than condemning them and washing my hands of everything.

I am not saying everyone should give a little but rather that taking your attitude is worse than just ignoring things.

Last edited:
Associate
I am showing my support to take in refugees which will effect all of us and gravely by what many of you are saying. I am even debating it to try and convince others to show support.

As for what i have done in general, i give what i can when i can. Not all of it but I donate old clothes as well as buy new ones to send to the Philippines. Like i said, we should treat the less fortunates problems as if they are ours.

Big difference between deciding everyone else's problems are not worth thinking about because there are too many of them and doing what you can when you can. Yes i have more to give but my attitude is better than yours which is essentially 'Problems are everywhere, why care about any'

Well done you, I won't be doing any of the above, I give every month to about 6 British good causes but I wouldn't do if the money was going abroad.

Soldato
Because the Jungle only exists because we made a deal with the French to contain migrants there rather than letting them come to the UK and attempt to either work illegally or claim asylum here.
Let's say we let everyone from the camp legally come to the UK. What do you think will happen next?

Soldato
Because the Jungle only exists because we made a deal with the French to contain migrants there rather than letting them come to the UK and attempt to either work illegally or claim asylum here.

The jungle exists because France allows it to. Rather than registering migrants at their borders which they cannot do because of Schengen or registering when they arrive in Calais.

Except they do not wish to have French documentation and try to travel to the UK for some 'unknown' reason.

Permabanned
The only people in Calais that deserve pity are the local residents, it must be hellish having that lot on your doorstep. They have come half way across the world and set up an illegal camp to try and blackmail us and the French into allowing them to illegally enter the UK. I had two bints at the door a few months back asking if I could offer anything for the "refugees" there. I asked if they had a van and their eyes widened. I told them I could spare three used 100 meter rolls of 2 meter high weldmesh fencing and two boxes of BB cartridges for the poor residents. Calais is not safe for the *residents* BECAUSE of the activities of the illegal migrants and the (some British) people smugglers.

To suggest we should open our border to illegal workers and for those that have passed through umpteen other countries to claim asylum here is almost treasonable, IMO.

Soldato
Have people had the polling cards yet? whats this chat im hearing about where you have to re-register to have the eligibility to vote? surely if your on the list they just send you a card or letter?

Caporegime
Except they do not wish to have French documentation and try to travel to the UK for some 'unknown' reason.

It's not particular 'unknown': the major reason most of them want to come to the UK is because they speak English and not French (or German, or Spanish, or...). Although of course there are others there with a multitude of different reasons, such as the couple who can't get back into the UK because although he's a British citizen, Theresa May has decided that British people deserve less rights to bring their spouses to the UK than EU citizens.

Caporegime
Can't access the FT article, but the open democracy one is far from unbiased itself.

It doesn't actually "prove wrong" anything in the pamphlet, just attacks the conclusions and offers its own statistics to support the opposite.

And yes, EU regulations, including those on the environment and equality, can and sometimes do hamper UK growth. EU regulations need to be a good fit for all 28 member states, if each state was free to set their own regulations, they could be tailored better to the needs of their peoples.

Here is a more reputable source explaining the problems the UK has with EU regulations

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/...cies-threaten-to-cost-britain-£9265-household

Oh, and whilst we're with the IEA, this report is worth posting too.

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/new-report-debunks-the-eu-jobs-myth

That reminds me of this article I read yesterday...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/09/brexit-europe-wildlife-eu

Perhaps our wildlife should sacrifice itself for the greater good of European wildlife?

Arguing that being outside the EU would give us a better fit environmental policy is fairly laughable. For example how is unbanning neonicotinoids better for us and the environment? It's definitely better for farmers, but not for wildlife... As mentioned in the article many of our environmental laws have been put in place by the EU to help protect the environment and our health. Things like runoff from fields into rivers destroying the environment in rivers, then there are the EU regulations trying to force governments to reduce the amount of NO2 in town and city...

So either we keep those regulations post brexit, or we just say stuff it and remove them all, resigning ourselves to living in a sterile wasteland bad for our health (which the current government seem to want).

Yes that's a little hyperbolish but to claim environmental regulation is bad for us is stupid.

Soldato
Why would we let everyone in the camp come legally to the UK? Some of them have no legal right to remain to the UK.
I was wondering how you’d weasel out of the answering.

Don’t bother replying, I’m not playing stupid word games with you. You know full well that if we take people from that camp it will send a message that illegally entering France and turning Calais into the 3rd world will get them rewarded with passage to the UK, shortly followed by the camp refilling and then some.

Soldato
Can't access the FT article, but the open democracy one is far from unbiased itself.

It doesn't actually "prove wrong" anything in the pamphlet, just attacks the conclusions and offers its own statistics to support the opposite.

Maybe you should subscribe and widen your horizons a bit?
From the article:
- Inconsistency issues - annex quarterly figures for growth not consistent with annual figures in the main report
- Wrong economic modelling - Mindford's "Liverpool model" is an extreme free-market vintage that fails at making predictions spectacularly http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmhansrd/vo971203/debtext/71203-39.htm
- Mindford's model assumes perfect competition and that only exists in textbooks.

As for opendemocracy, your opinion on its bias is irrelevant. Far more relevant is your opinion on the points they make:

Leaving aside that the table contains an egregious error in that it misrepresents figures for 2016 – a year that, as most of us know, is yet to be completed, it gives cumulative 5-year GDP growth percentages for the EU and selective high-income countries as follows:
USA 12.0%
EU 5.2%

This table certainly makes Europe look bad. Once again, however, the picture changes on further scrutiny. Here are the comparable figures for the UK, Germany, and our Octet’s three non-EU exemplars:
UK 11.5%
Germany 11.0%
Norway 6.9%

The whole report is sloppy work and it's so inconsistent that the 8 economists do not agree on whether there is likely to be a shock in the short term post Brexit. It was proven to be wrong with undeniable facts and figures.

And yes, EU regulations, including those on the environment and equality, can and sometimes do hamper UK growth. EU regulations need to be a good fit for all 28 member states, if each state was free to set their own regulations, they could be tailored better to the needs of their peoples.

Source for these claims?

Here is a more reputable source explaining the problems the UK has with EU regulations

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/...cies-threaten-to-cost-britain-£9265-household

Oh, and whilst we're with the IEA, this report is worth posting too.

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/new-report-debunks-the-eu-jobs-myth

Haha, that site keeps resurfacing and, surprise, suprise is very, very far from being a reputable source of information.

That's a free market think tank lead by a nice little mercenary called Mark Littlewood.

http://www.iea.org.uk/biographies/mark-littlewood-director-general

Littlewood has gone from being the chief press spokesman of the Pro Euro Conservative Party (a party with the EURO as a symbol :D) to 100% Brexiteer.
He has also been a 'defender' of the tabacco industry. As long as it pays the bills, why not? :rolleyes:

http://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Mark_Littlewood

Reputable source my bum.:D

I've just noticed that one of the IEA "reports" that you linked is actually taken from one of Minford's books, the Godfather of the Economists for Brexit. The same 'experts' seem to appear in every site/"report" that backs Brexit. :D :D

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/...cies-threaten-to-cost-britain-£9265-household -> http://www.e-elgar.com/shop/should-britain-leave-the-eu

Last edited:
Associate
You're right, the laws won't stay the same, in fact they are already changing...a lot of countries are tightening the rules and extending the time required to be eligible, not relaxing them.

Oh and they are Merkels refugees, not migrants, quite a big difference....as the ones you are talking about are the result of a humanitarian crises.

That's not the point though, as once they pass the criteria and get an EU passport they could move here yes.....BUT....the point you all fail to answer is :-

Once they have passed the criteria, which is :-
Being resident for 5-7 years (increasing)
Becoming a citizen
Being able to speak the language
Being economically active

So once they have spent that length of time building up contacts, friends, working/running businesses, what is going to be their motivation to just up sticks and move to Britain en masse when they finally get their EU passport in Germany/France/Italy etc?

What logical reason do you have to think that would happen?

One could argue that in 2004 or 2005 whenever it was, the Poles had been resident in their own country for 5 - 7 years, were citizens, spoke the language, were economically viable. Didn't stop them coming en masse. Slightly different I appreciate but they still came.

Soldato
Broken Rhetoric of Economically FlummoXed Idiots and Thugs

You insult thugs. Brexiteers can't compete with poor, low skilled Eastern Europeans that have basic English skills and they're afraid of homeless Syrians who are running for their lives. That's not exactly thug life, is it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom