Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No the I'm better than you attitude from the Remain crowd.

Self-esteem issues? I forget whether it's the paranoia or the persecution complex dominating the Brexit excuses circuit this month. Looking at the recent economic exchange, it's not just an attitude -- they are better.:p

Shush, every time the rad-remainers post they turn more people to Brexit!!

I've missed your face too, Skunks. How go the migration rants?

Soldato
You insult thugs. Brexiteers can't compete with poor, low skilled Eastern Europeans that have basic English skills and they're afraid of homeless Syrians who are running for their lives. That's not exactly thug life, is it? :D

As opposed to the Testosterone deficient remain crowd who want to save the entire world by letting them into the UK regardless of the lack of infrastructure and houses in place for them. 500k net immigration a year? no problem.

https://www.facebook.com/100003662834496/videos/815593328572754/

Hilarious.

Last edited:
Soldato
As opposed to the Testosterone deficient remain crowd who want to save the entire world by letting them into the UK regardless of the lack of infrastructure and houses in place for them. 500k net immigration a year? no problem.

So your solution to the refugee crisis would be to inject steroids into border officials and the Home Secretary or what?;) Do develop that line of thought!

Soldato
So your solution to the refugee crisis would be to inject steroids into border officials and the Home Secretary or what?;) Do develop that line of thought!

I think there comes a point when we have to help in other ways, there are plenty of countries that are bigger who are able to accommodate large amounts of refugees, the UK isn't one of them

Associate
Self-esteem issues? I forget whether it's the paranoia or the persecution complex dominating the Brexit excuses circuit this month. Looking at the recent economic exchange, it's not just an attitude -- they are better.:p

Well actually as you well know I was referring to your good self and Zethor, but do enlighten me regarding this recent economic exchange, it seems to have passed me by.

Soldato
Source for this claim?

Page 5 of their 2015 annual accounts says the EU commission is one of their two primary funding sources. Maybe that's why they're very pro EU.... and maybe you need to look a bit harder than the first few google links? ;)

That assumption is logical as skilled EU migrants are currently free to work and live in the UK. After Brexit, they will have some restrictions which will obviously decrease their numbers.

I disagree. You're saying post Brexit we would deliberately apply restrictions which would impact skilled migration. The core central Brexit case is the opposite, attracting skilled people from all over the world, rather than applying a bias to EU citizens over the rest of the world, whether skilled or not.

Again with the first Google hits? The 'Economists for Brexit' rubbish has been debunked repeatedly:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9394016c-0d43-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html#axzz48HPX2zf1
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/jeremy-fox/brexit-bunkum-ii-professors-and-their-pamphlet

The consensus among economists is that Brexit will be harmful.

Much like the Treasury's "dodgy dossier" has been debunked. Stop trying to make out it's black and white, there are arguments on both sides. In the short term yes there would be uncertainty, as there already is, but in the longer term plenty think the UK would stand to benefit from not being politically tied to the failing EU project.

100 business figures! Impressive, except the leading figures are people such as Ex-HSBC boss, former Channel 4 chairman or former director of Hargreaves Lansdown. I wonder who the rest of the 100 are if the leading figures all former-something.

Meanwhile current-something leading business figures seems to have other views

So the moment someone steps down from their position, their opinion becomes irrelevant? Wrong. What you find is that people in power have to toe the party line, whereas those now outside of the limelight are free to speak their mind based on their experience. Mervyn King for example, Governor of the Bank of England and Chairman of the MPC for 10 years, had said the economics around Brexit have been wildly exaggerated and the choice is ultimately political.

Of course the current CEO of HSBC will want to remain, he doesn't want uncertainty whilst he's in charge. But the previous CEO can speak freely about what he believes is in the Country's best interest, rather than focussing on short term uncertainty and todays share price.

Lol, the IEA, really? That's a free market think tank lead by a nice little mercenary called Mark Littlewood.

http://www.iea.org.uk/biographies/mark-littlewood-director-general

Littlewood has gone from being the chief press spokesman of the Pro Euro Conservative Party (a party with the EURO as a symbol :D) to 100% Brexiteer.
He has also been a 'defender' of the tabacco industry. As long as it pays the bills, why not? :rolleyes:

Attacking the individual personally and not the message, nice.

So what's your point, surely the fact he was pro EU and heavily involved in the EU project means he's got more knowledge on the subject than most? He likely figured out what the EU is actually all about during that time, realised most people have no idea how it actually works and so tried to do something about it.

A bit like Bernard Connolly, who worked for the European Commission, realised the EU wasn't what most people think, and wrote his book ""The Rotten Heart of Europe", which talks about how the EU/Euro project is a threat to freedom and democracy, and predicted a nasty endgame.

And then there's Daniel Hannan, an MEP who knows more about the workings of the EU than most, and strongly pro Brexit.

Seeing a trend here?

As for taking tobacco money, the figure was something like £10k in a year. Big deal. Compare that to the tens of millions of Euros big companies spend on lobbying the EU (check out transparency international) and it's a rounding error.

There are always arguments on both sides. Evolution is just a theory after all and climate change, don't even get me started! Let's not forget about that flag on the Moon and its suspicious position... I definitely saw a Youtube video on that subject. :D

So saying "Hey OCUK, Youtube for EU Documentary" is the same as what, watching a tin-foil hat video about the moon? By your logic no video on Youtube is worth watching. You need to figure out how things really work, rather than being spoon fed and believing the party line.

A lot of people know how the EU really works, how undemocratic, how unaccountable, how corporate-friendly, how bureaucratic and wasteful it is, how it's all about a political end-game and not about doing what the people want. Maybe that's why nationalism and anti EU sentiment is on the rise all over Europe, and maybe that's why the OCUK leave majority has been increasing. Watch this, you might learn something. ;)

Soldato
Have people had the polling cards yet? whats this chat im hearing about where you have to re-register to have the eligibility to vote? surely if your on the list they just send you a card or letter?

That claim is a myth....

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/upcoming-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum

Do I need to re-register to vote in the EU Referendum?

Anyone who was already registered to vote (or recently registered) before the 18 April deadline for the elections taking place across the UK on 5 May will also be registered to vote at the EU Referendum and will be able to cast their vote. You do not need to re-register.

Soldato
No, you don't need to re-register. If you're concerned about consistently not getting a polling card through the post -- get in touch with your local election services; however, if you're registered to vote either in person or by post at your current address, you do not need to take any further action -- you will be able to vote in the EU referendum. I expect the referendum cards should start dropping by some time in early June.

Well actually as you well know I was referring to your good self and Zethor, but do enlighten me regarding this recent economic exchange, it seems to have passed me by.

Scroll up, now and again at least. I've been harvesting links from these threads for a while, and the Brexit economic lot is fairly old hat.

Associate
No, you don't need to re-register. If you're concerned about consistently not getting a polling card through the post -- get in touch with your local election services; however, if you're registered to vote either in person or by post at your current address, you do not need to take any further action -- you will be able to vote in the EU referendum. I expect the referendum cards should start dropping by some time in early June.

Scroll up, now and again at least. I've been harvesting links from these threads for a while, and the Brexit economic lot is fairly old hat.

Oh I'm sorry you seemed to have intimated it was a recent exchange between economists or politicians.

Associate
So what's your point, surely the fact he was pro EU and heavily involved in the EU project means he's got more knowledge on the subject than most? He likely figured out what the EU is actually all about during that time, realised most people have no idea how it actually works and so tried to do something about it.

A bit like Bernard Connolly, who worked for the European Commission, realised the EU wasn't what most people think, and wrote his book ""The Rotten Heart of Europe", which talks about how the EU/Euro project is a threat to freedom and democracy, and predicted a nasty endgame.

And then there's Daniel Hannan, an MEP who knows more about the workings of the EU than most, and strongly pro Brexit.

Seeing a trend here?
That's one thing I'm quite conscious of too, it's easy for the in side to cry 'agenda' and use the typical slur tactics at every MP / economist they feel isn't up to snuff (typically then relying on all the people who have to spout the party line to back up there own claims then) but why would so many politicians and even the odd MEP from within the EU be pro brexit if there was really nothing that bad about it? Short of the usual remainer conspiracy theory that they all have devious ulterior motives, nefarious agendas or that there are just several hundred MP's from various different backgrounds that are educated to a good standard somehow went barking mad and froth at the mouth against a perfect system that we only get benefits from with some shadow chasing fantasist ideas.

It just doesn't add up, do they really think so many politicians would have done literally no research before staking there careers backing one side or another? Do they not realise more would probably be on the out side if they weren't fearing for there jobs / future position anyway? Do they not realise all these people who work in politics day in and day out probably have a pretty decent understanding of the EU (especially since it'd be a brilliant environment to discuss with others there views on the issue with so many politically knowledgeable people on hand) but somehow there are still several hundred willing to back brexit? There own logic barely makes sense in that short of boris johnson (potentially gunning for next PM) there would be no possible agenda or great reason to vote brexit if it's only going to economically ruin us while also making our future more uncertain and put business on hold. So where's the agenda for all these papers and politicians and former business leaders that are free to speak there mind? Why is the government constantly having to rely on double speak, misinformation and lies to try and keep us in the EU?

Also how has more and more businesses decided that brexit isn't a bad idea?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...t-grows-as-businesses-tire-of-scaremongering/

Still not the majority of course but why would it increase by 7% if the EU really was just all positives and leaving would be such a huge disaster? Seems more likely that as people informed themselves of the EU they realised the myths were false. Oh well, beating a dead horse. People like datalol and zethor although well intentioned (hopefully, quite spiteful and might have an 'agenda' :p) seem to feel these 37% of businesses polled and over 200 MP's, ex business leaders etc. must all be barking mad lunatics that try and shoot at shadows and swallow myths and lies about the EU being evil because of course that's the only way they can comprehend people having an alternate opinion (like when the joining the Euro would have prospered us greatly). It's not that easy to rationally believe so many people are so barking mad on something you can only presume they would be uninformed about. My conclusion is that by those guys standards 99% of people aren't informed enough (as clearly 1 mistake or differing opinion is enough to earn endless cynicism even though we've seen enough mistakes and false rhetoric on the remain side too) or they simply choose to rely on confirmation bias to assume only the pro EU politicians have any sanity. Let's not play chase the tail with reliable sources when there is next to no trustable source anyway given government pro EU stance will push many government organisations to push party policy anyway. There's clearly enough good sources on either side and enough bad on either side but lets not have the remain side play the never ending game of ignoring all evidence.

Soldato
Oh I'm sorry you seemed to have intimated it was a recent exchange between economists or politicians.

Recent as in this recent scrap. The thread cycles roughly every ten pages, between the usual suspects, as others did before it. If you plan to ride it long, I recommend a good bourbon.

Both campaigns and the Lords and the Commons committees have long since moved on. Hence the latest battle in the media on "our role in Europe" against "the negatives of immigration".

And as for political bouts, the next debate I know of will be held on Thursday next week. More specials in June. Not currently seeing Dave vs Boris (they both have the future of the Conservative party to ponder), but it might yet happen.

Soldato
Broken Rhetoric of Economically FlummoXed Idiots and Thugs

Ah, and so the mask slips! Tarring all people that vote for Brexit with the same brush - bad form indeed. I thought you were better than that.

From what I can gather, there is no doubt that short-term damage is possible but mid to long-term, things are likely to even out. We are not a tiny, insignificant economy and it's a given that this vote will be a matter of much more than pure economics.

Yes to Europe as friends, trading patners and allies, but no to a Federal Europe is still my view. I completely respect the views of those in the remain camp, but such courtesy seems to be increasingly rare in the opposite direction. We're all Neanderthal, knuckle-dragging primates for wanting political autonomy and locally accountable democracy, apparently.

I would vote "in" if the EU were open to reform, but it's quite obvious that it's not going to happen in the organisation's current guise.

Out for the moment. No matter what celebrities or the government say. Maybe The EU will commit to fundamental reform and I can change my stance before the referendum, who knows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom