Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
People don't have to agree with you. They may deem any extra cost to be worth it. I do.

Indeed.

If you come into an Apple launch thread claiming it's technically inferior in every way to the competing Android model and then start waffling on about "balance and reason" you don't deserve to be treated with any respect.

Soldato
i don't think can you sell it, you hand it back.

24x44.45=£1066.80 this gets you ip7+ for 12months and ip7s+ for 12months.

or
ip7+ @819 +ip7s@819 +apple care @ 119 - ip7@600 =£1157

and the chance of selling the ip7+ for £600 is pushing it, as ip6s+ before today was around £450

so over 2 years its slightly cheaper.

You have to sign up for new 20 month contract when you upgrade though, so it's 32 months total to get the iPhone 7s outright. It only makes sense if you normally upgrade every year really.

Last edited:
Associate
for those wanting the gloss black.....i don't know if it will change your decision but apparently there's smallprint on the gloss black spec saying it's highly prone to scratches. I suppose that's pretty obvious but for those thinking apple might have come up with some amazing coating or something lol

Associate
If they had a splitter cable so charging and old headphones at the same time then that would be great .
The prices are getting crazy ...are apple trying to pay the Irish tax bill with a new phone and Gucci headphones. The prices for I-watch straps are just ridiculous

Soldato
I'm guessing lightning port will be much better than the jack and listening while you charge is not going to happen that often and could be avoided with a little mental effort and planning.

Soldato
They said ip67 didn't they do can look it up. 1m max.

Is that good enough for falling into pools like example in the keynote? I'm pretty sure most pools go deeper than 1m.

If they're anything like the newest Mac input devices (Magic Mouse 2.0 etc) they charge quickly - like 9 hours use from 2 minutes of charge. I don't expect this will be that quick but it should still be much faster than an iPhone or iPad.

15 Mins of AirPod charge gives 3 hours of listening.

But will the UK see an increase on price.....US are always ok.

They really screwed us on the prices, kind of put off by it....will probably still talk myself into upgrading.

Returning the phone though on the upgrade program, does it need to be pristine condition?

Condition of Financed iPhone when Exercising your Upgrade Option. As noted above, your Financed iPhone must be in good physical and operational condition when exercising your Upgrade Option as determined solely by Apple or Apple’s Trade-In Partner (“Trade-In Partner”). For a Financed iPhone to be considered in good physical and operational condition, the Financed iPhone must:
Power on and hold a charge;
Have an intact and functioning display;
Have no breaks or cracks; and
Have Activation Lock disabled (you may be asked to disable at the time of upgrade).

I love the look of the AirPods, £159 though! No thanks, especially as they'll be so easy to lose, as others have mentioned.

The upgrade plan seems pretty good, you can also do it without getting AppleCare+

Bysq3wZ.png

So, for a 128GB 7+

£49 + 11(£38.50) = £472.50 to own the phone for the year.

Price outright is £819

£819 - £472.50 = £346.50 effective trade in value at the end of the year.

Or you can just pay off the loan and sell it privately if you think you can get more, or pay of the loan and give it to a family member as if you bought it outright to begin with.

The 0% APR makes this worthwhile right? Or am I missing something?

Whether you buy it outright or do the trade in plan, you're still paying the same amount for the phone, but you don't have the massive initial outlay. Plus, even if you decide not to upgrade, you're not going to be out of pocket any more than if you paid the full amount at the start, are you?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
for those wanting the gloss black.....i don't know if it will change your decision but apparently there's smallprint on the gloss black spec saying it's highly prone to scratches. I suppose that's pretty obvious but for those thinking apple might have come up with some amazing coating or something lol

7+ 128GB in Black for me.

The fine print for the gloss black is pretty lol

So basically get a case or you're gonna see all those swirl marks in the gloss finish.

Caporegime
People don't have to agree with you. They may deem any extra cost to be worth it. I do.

Its not just iPhones, I generally don't understand why people would want to spend increasingly near £1000 on a mobile phone.

What can these brand new £600+ phones do that my Z2 which I bought for £80 second hand can't do? (5.2" 1080P screen, quad core 2.3GHz CPU, 3GB RAM, 20MP camera, Android 6.0, waterproof, mega battery life, etc)

The answer is not a lot. But if you have the means and like the shinies, sure, why not I guess. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
i don't think can you sell it, you hand it back.

24x44.45=£1066.80 this gets you ip7+ for 12months and ip7s+ for 12months.

Your missing some months I think mate

It's 12 months for ip7 then 20 months for ip7s as the 20 months starts again when you upgrade

Unless you never intend to keep the 1 iPhone for 20 months and you always upgrade yearly. Sooner or later you will need to pay the remaining to pay off the finance

So in a nut shell it's good for 0% over the 20 months if you don't upgrade.

Otherwise buy outright with a 0% credit card or cash

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
UberTiger I think you're right, it's £819 over 20 months or £819 upfront. The difference is if you do want to upgrade it's far easier with the upgrade plan. Seems like a good alternative to going with a carrier deal since you can source the best sim only deal but don't have to outlay the entire phone cost.

Man of Honour
Your missing some months I think mate

It's 12 months for ip7 then 20 months for ip7s as the 20 months starts again when you upgrade

Unless you never intend to keep the 1 iPhone for 20 months and you always upgrade yearly. Sooner or later you will need to pay the remaining to pay off the finance

So in a nut shell it's good for 0% over the 20 months if you don't upgrade.

Otherwise buy outright with a 0% credit card or cash

Well no I compare it over two years, going further then goes into next cycle.
As said if you upgrade every year its cheaper, if at any point you don't it costs more. However its still not that bad a price. Just think of it as a little bit of interest for monthly payments and guaranteed hand back value. The more years you keep going before you stop upgrading the cheaper the relative cost.

Soldato

Yeah to be expected really.

Mine will be in a case anyway so doesn't really matter whether I get matt or gloss black but something tells me the gloss will have better resale value when the time comes.

If they had a splitter cable so charging and old headphones at the same time then that would be great .

I think they may offer that later as an optional accessory. Was a little surprised the included one didn't do that but I guess they were trying to keep it as cheap as possible as they're bundling it.

Soldato

Essentially if you stick with it and never stray from apple. Its cheaper. If you ever stop the yearly upgrade its more expensive.

It's zero % credit so you pay the same price minus a potential fee of a few tens of pounds difference, can't be bothered to look for exact details, all apple are doing is giving easy credit and offering a buy back option if at whatever point in time the owner wants to sell to another buyer if they decide it makes economic sense at the figures involved they can. It's blatantly not a rip off or fiddle in any way unless the defacto buy back price doesn't meet expectations.

Soldato
Any info on the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter? I guess the phone will still have an internal DAC for the internal speakers so I assume it will passthrough the lightning port to the 3.5mm adapter otherwise how would it work.

Soldato
£819 - £472.50 = £346.50 effective trade in value at the end of the year.

Or you can just pay off the loan and sell it privately if you think you can get more, or pay of the loan and give it to a family member as if you bought it outright to begin with.

The 0% APR makes this worthwhile right? Or am I missing something?

Whether you buy it outright or do the trade in plan, you're still paying the same amount for the phone, but you don't have the massive initial outlay. Plus, even if you decide not to upgrade, you're not going to be out of pocket any more than if you paid the full amount at the start, are you?

There is no trade in value. You hand the phone back and sign a new 20 month agreement for a new phone, at full price with the £49 initial cost.

You'll only be out of pocket (the cost of the initial 11 months) if you upgrade and then decide not to the next time. I.e you'll have paid 32 x £xx for the iPhone 7s instead of just 20x. If you'd bought the iPhone 7 outright, you'd also have that to take off the 20x by selling otherwise.

It's a great plan if you always upgrade every year or always pay the full 20 months. Otherwise you're out of pocket sooner or later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom