**The Mental Health Thread**

Underboss
Be careful just thinking it’s social anxiety and it can be cured somehow.

I’ve got a friend who made it to 30 thinking it was social anxiety and it turns out he had high functioning autism.

Getting hammered and sitting facing a wall at family functions doesn’t sound like just social anxiety to me.

i never really understood autism

just read about it, and i can see why you can get confused between the two

i saw a councillor 6 months ago or so , for 6 months, which helped a little, but there was no mention of autism

also , whilst I'm doing an aprentership right now, i asked for help in the mental health area, and first thing she wanted to discover "is it anxiety or a phobia", again no mention of autism

Last edited:
Soldato
Be careful just thinking it’s social anxiety and it can be cured somehow.

I’ve got a friend who made it to 30 thinking it was social anxiety and it turns out he had high functioning autism.

Getting hammered and sitting facing a wall at family functions doesn’t sound like just social anxiety to me.

yes so if you visualise those pub seats that are on the edges of the room i can face my own family and the wall behind but cant face the crowds or i just scan everyone to see if they are looking at me (i know deep down no one gives a hoot about my presence ), that probably makes me look like a weirdo and this stops after a few drinks

Caporegime
i never really understood autism

just read about it, and i can see why you can get confused between the two

i saw a councillor 6 months ago or so , for 6 months, which helped a little, but there was no mention of autism

also , whilst I'm doing an aprentership right now, i asked for help in the mental health area, and first thing she wanted to discover "is it anxiety or a phobia", again no mention of autism

I’m by no means saying you or anyone else posting has it but it often goes undiagnosed.

My friend had seen different GPs and went through therapy with different people and they didn’t mention it either.

It wasn’t until someone in the workplace told him he had similar traits to his son who was diagnosed before he decided to go and get tested.

Severe social anxiety since childhood isn’t normal and usually is attributed to a specific mental health disorder.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been doing ok last few weeks then today out the blue big wave of Anxiety, Intrusive thoughts and feeling horrid. The randomness of this illness is one of the worst things and how it just hits you like that.

Hope everyone is doing as best as they can.

Associate
I am a middle aged man but think i need help. i want to change and learn how to become more easy going and less angry and quick tempered.
Could people please give advice and help about who to talk too and places to start my journey.

Soldato
Soldato
Stupid as it probably sounds I'd never considered the NHS self referral as I didn't think I was "depressed enough" to use it. (Although I'm still to hear back about my referral for physio which I submitted about 6 weeks ago)
I've felt a bit stuck/restless lately though and have a lot on my mind.

There have been a few things happening recently that have really had an impact on me. Thankfully the back issues I've been having have eased so I can continue sorting things for my plans to move, it's just that there's quite a bit to do and I'm feeling overwhelmed. Then when I go to my mum's I see the mess her house is in and it gets to me. There are 4 of us but i seem to be the only one helping. My brother is too lazy and is willingly taking every penny she'll offer him.

So glad I'm not living in that environment anymore though.

Don
Been doing ok last few weeks then today out the blue big wave of Anxiety, Intrusive thoughts and feeling horrid. The randomness of this illness is one of the worst things and how it just hits you like that.

Hope everyone is doing as best as they can.
Currently having a bit of a wobble myself, Struggling for the last few days (even though it's normally Winter when I get depressed).

Can't be arsed to do anything, but just seems to be lists of stuff building up that I need to do. And worse when I do work up the effort to try and do something it just goes wrong anyway - so why bother trying?

I've also identified another flaw with myself - I worry about spending money even when I can afford it. My son needed some things a couple of things for Army cadets (about £70), but it took me about 3 days of worrying before actually clicking the buy button. I don't know if it's the anxiety of what if something bad happens and I need the money, or I just feel bad because I rarely seem to spend any money on myself.

Associate
I'm about to start meds for Adult ADHD. Went through the private treatment route, was assessed 6 weeks ago, just had an ECG done (also privately) and looked at by a cardiologist who said my ECG was fine. I was unsure if i'd get prescribed the usual ADHD meds as i'm diagnosed and medicated for schizophrenia. So i'll be taking dopamine increasing and dopamine decreasing drugs at the same time.

Soldato
I'm about to start meds for Adult ADHD. Went through the private treatment route, was assessed 6 weeks ago, just had an ECG done (also privately) and looked at by a cardiologist who said my ECG was fine. I was unsure if i'd get prescribed the usual ADHD meds as i'm diagnosed and medicated for schizophrenia. So i'll be taking dopamine increasing and dopamine decreasing drugs at the same time.

Mine had and continue to have a huge impact on my life. I've done more in terms of 'paper' achievements/qualifications in the last two years than I ever managed at school and college.
That is the temptation sometimes to be annoyed that it wasn't discovered back then. But actually I just look forward and I don't care

Associate
Mine had and continue to have a huge impact on my life. I've done more in terms of 'paper' achievements/qualifications in the last two years than I ever managed at school and college.
That is the temptation sometimes to be annoyed that it wasn't discovered back then. But actually I just look forward and I don't care
That's my attitude too, look forward instead of looking back. Well done on your quals, it's good to hear about success stories.

Underboss
I’m by no means saying you or anyone else posting has it but it often goes undiagnosed.

My friend had seen different GPs and went through therapy with different people and they didn’t mention it either.

It wasn’t until someone in the workplace told him he had similar traits to his son who was diagnosed before he decided to go and get tested.

Severe social anxiety since childhood isn’t normal and usually is attributed to a specific mental health disorder.

got my referral through from the doctors to get tested for autism, and it says 18 month wait :(

is it possible to go private ?

at my age id rather not wait another 2 years, I'm pushing this now

Caporegime
got my referral through from the doctors to get tested for autism, and it says 18 month wait :(

You can go private yeah and if you have any concerns over whether it will be recognised:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why a private assessment for autism should not be accepted, as long as the following two conditions are met.
  • The assessment was administered by trained and experienced practitioners
  • The assessment was delivered in accordance with NICE guidelines.

You may need a family member (usually a parent if available) to answer some questions about how you were as a child etc. You can get a diagnosis without this but it's often requested.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my first councilling session today and yes it was tough. I broke down :(
He thinks I may have Rapid Cycling Bipolar and has referred that back to the GP

The first is always the hardest but hopefully it will set things in motion and get you the help you need.

We went private with my Daughter as the NHS waiting times was over 2 years for Autism testing. It cost around £2k and was done within 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't want to turn this into a politics debate, i just want to point something out. When i 1st got diagnosed within the NHS with adult adhd in 2010 there was a (iirc) about a 6 week wait between 1st being seen and diagnosis by an adhd psychiatrist. if i tried the same today the wait would be forever as there are no longer any NHS adult adhd services in my area. reading around, multi-year waiting lists for some NHS mental health services are common. i suppose it's no secret how waiting lists have grown so much over the last 13 years.

Soldato
The waiting lists are horrific for just about everything at the moment. The System has been run so far into the ground that recovery is going to take years if not decades if it ever recovers at all…

With mental health it’s proven that quick intervention with Pyschological and CBT based treatments can prevent or limit the use of medication but the wait lists are so long that most end up on medication regardless. The whole system is beyond broken…

Back
Top Bottom