**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Have to somewhat agree with the others. Often it happens where there are issues and the person says nothing, then it builds and builds until they emotionally start to step back and then one day they decide they want a break/split up etc "out of the blue". It's a shock to you but not to them because they've already detached themselves :(

Although in my sister's situation it was my bro in law (the leavee) who had the knee jerk reaction to ask for a divorce :confused: their entire situation was very strange though to the point we all got dragged into the drama.

Hopefully you can both work it out though

Last edited:
Associate
We had a long chat yesterday and 413x was right. She had been thinking about it for a while and was beyond the point where we could work things out and remain together. Right now I'm feeling ok about it. Probably because I was keeping my mind busy discussing finances. Trying to work out how she can continue to keep the kids in the village so they don't have to change schools. I also want to live within a few miles away so I can have the kids 3 nights a week without too many logistical headaches. Unfortunately this is one of the most expensive areas outside of Cambridge and moving out if the area isn't really an option as I'll be too far away from kids and friends. Luckily for her, she has family who can help her financially.

We're still getting on alright and we've agreed not to tell the kids until after Christmas. We'll remain living in the house together until the divorce has been finalised. Overall I'm feeling better than I was a week ago. It's good to have the uncertainty removed and I can focus on the future.

Soldato
Anyone had experience of "brain fog"/"cognitive dysfunction"?

I've just come out of a meeting with my manager where I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not working fast enough. To be perfectly honest, despite the justifications I came up with, I already knew this; the last few months (maybe longer, I can't even remember?) my brain has felt like it's running on empty, I can pick up a bug that I think looks easy, and then spend half a day blankly staring at code not even knowing where to start.

I get distracted easily, can't concentrate on anything (it doesn't help when our systems are so slow that half the time I'm waiting literally 10 minutes for a build to complete, or am I just making excuses again?), but I just feel generally stupid and slow.

A bit of googling (dangerous, I know!), suggests it's "brain fog", but no idea what would be causing it, or what can be done to fix it :(

Soldato

I've just come out of a meeting with my manager where I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not working fast enough. To be perfectly honest, despite the justifications I came up with, I already knew this; the last few months (maybe longer, I can't even remember?) my brain has felt like it's running on empty, I can pick up a bug that I think looks easy, and then spend half a day blankly staring at code not even knowing where to start.

I get distracted easily, can't concentrate on anything (it doesn't help when our systems are so slow that half the time I'm waiting literally 10 minutes for a build to complete, or am I just making excuses again?), but I just feel generally stupid and slow.

A bit of googling (dangerous, I know!), suggests it's "brain fog", but no idea what would be causing it, or what can be done to fix it :(

Easier said than done for some people, but see if you can take youself on a few walks each week. I was the same, but finally started doing 5 mile walks three times a week. Just put my headphones on and went for it.
Made the world of difference.

also, drink plenty of water. Dehydration also does this, and if like me, sat working on computers all day, I drink a lot of coffee!

Exercise and diet I think helps more than a lot of people realise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Easier said than done for some people, but see if you can take youself on a few walks each week. I was the same, but finally started doing 5 mile walks three times a week. Just put my headphones on and went for it.
Made the world of difference.

also, drink plenty of water. Dehydration also does this, and if like me, sat working on computers all day, I drink a lot of coffee!

Exercise and diet I think helps more than a lot of people realise.

We eat pretty healthy - proper cooked meals almost every day, and I try and take the dog out for decent walks a few times a week - difficult to just get my head down and go on my own with the kids though :s

Dehydration is maybe a good shout though, as you say, sitting at the computer all day with coffee isn't the best

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sleeping ok? I've been having terrible issues with brain fog and inability to comprehend text/speech at times or even remember words. Perhaps worth looking into?

Yeah, this definitely sounds familiar, forgetting words for really obvious things and people's names.

Sleep has been a problem for the last few years, with a 3 year old who was very premature so has needed a lot of extra attention - it's getting easier now he's older, but a lot of catching up to do! My other half does odd shifts which is quite disruptive as well :(

Soldato
Yeah, this definitely sounds familiar, forgetting words for really obvious things and people's names.

Oof, horrendously familiar. I was playing a boardgame and had to count something to a total of 9 and I struggled with that. It's truly awful when it happens.

I'd suggest keeping a track of your sleep for a while and see if any patterns jump out. When I use a sleep tracker and get almost no REM sleep then it's an awful day.

Soldato
I have a tracker on my watch, shows an average of 6hrs which isn't ideal I know, and a score around 60ish (whatever that means :p)

I'll try to keep an eye on what it's saying when I'm having a particularly "stupid" day and if it correlates with anything - thanks

Soldato
Brain fog can be from a number of things really. Chronic fatigue, thyroid issue, high cortisol levels etc. I thought my brain fog was quite bad until I had covid recently and then really noticed how much I was struggling to concentrate :o

Lack of sleep definitely plays a role but sounds like you've had a fair bit of stress for the last few years too.

I've struggled with sleep lately even more so than normal and it was suggested a while ago I take a magnesium supplement to help. I did notice a slight difference when i stopped taking them vs when I started back on them but i think routine and getting a decent amount of sleep is what will help the most.
As above maybe try focusing on improving sleep first.

I've been seeing a lot of things online lately about nervous system disregulation where your body can be in constant fight or flight mode and that's why people experience symptoms they can't seem to resolve. One of the many things it recommends is focusing on sleep and getting more exercise/walking to reduce the cortisol levels. (Also avoiding intense exercise as that adds stress to your body)

Soldato
Cheers, yeah, I guess I know I need more sleep, just difficult balancing that with enough "downtime" to actually keep me sane :(

The other thing that's just crossed my mind is I've been having symptoms which might indicate low blood sugar, which it appears can cause brain fog symptoms so maybe I need to look into that a bit more

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, yeah, I guess I know I need more sleep, just difficult balancing that with enough "downtime" to actually keep me sane :(

The other thing that's just crossed my mind is I've been having symptoms which might indicate low blood sugar, which it appears can cause brain fog symptoms so maybe I need to look into that a bit more
Perhaps might be best to go to GP and ask for blood tests if you're experiencing other symptoms as well.

Soldato

I would make work aware that you think it's health related and that you're going to see the doctor, perhaps tell them after you see the doctor and have something concrete. If it was me I would tell them first but it depends on your setup.

When was the last time you had a proper break from work and the daily grind?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would make work aware that you think it's health related and that you're going to see the doctor, perhaps tell them after you see the doctor and have something concrete. If it was me I would tell them first but it depends on your setup.

When was the last time you had a proper break from work and the daily grind?

Had a nice romantic break in Cornwall with the other half for a few days back in May, other than that... Honestly I don't remember, the odd long weekend here and there, but always with kids to look after, most of my leave for the last 4 years has been spent in hospitals

I know I should really see a GP about it, I guess I've been putting it off due to a combination of "I'll get round to it when I actually have time" and not wanting to admit I'm getting older & might not actually be invulnerable :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a nice romantic break in Cornwall with the other half for a few days back in May, other than that... Honestly I don't remember, the odd long weekend here and there, but always with kids to look after, most of my leave for the last 4 years has been spent in hospitals

I know I should really see a GP about it, I guess I've been putting it off due to a combination of "I'll get round to it when I actually have time" and not wanting to admit I'm getting older & might not actually be invulnerable :(

Go, make the call to the GP! I'd offer to buy you a cookie but 1) I'm broke 2) maybe a bad idea until there's some results :cry:

Gotta get some time away from work though too I'd say. Probably not easy given the time of year though.

Soldato
It doesn’t really seem appropriate to list out examples in this thread. But generally, anything that has a sad, or melancholic vibe.
Its interesting because a lot of supposedly melancholic music gives me feelings of happiness.

Was just reading this article and it made me think of this exchange

Exploring the effects of happy and sad music​

Drawing inspiration from studies on emotionally intense cinematic experiences, we recently published a study highlighting the effects of complex musical compositions, particularly Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, on dopamine responses and emotional states. This was designed to help us understand how happy and sad music affects people in different ways.

One major challenge was how to measure our participants’ dopamine levels non-invasively. Traditional functional brain imaging has been a common tool to track dopamine in response to music – for example, positron emission tomography (PET) imaging. However, this involves the injection of a radiotracer into the bloodstream, which attaches to dopamine receptors in the brain. Such a process also has limitations in terms of cost and availability.

In the field of psychology and dopamine research, one alternative, non-invasive approach involves studying how often people blink, and how the rate of blinking varies when different music is played.

Blinking is controlled by the basal ganglia, a brain region that regulates dopamine. Dopamine dysregulation in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease can affect the regular blink rate. Studies have found that individuals with Parkinson’s often exhibit reduced blink rates or increased variability in blink rates, compared with healthy individuals. These findings suggest that blink rate can serve as an indirect proxy indicator of dopamine release or impairment.

While blink rate may not provide the same level of precision as direct neurochemical measurements, it offers a practical and accessible proxy measure that can complement traditional imaging techniques. This alternative approach has shown promise in enhancing our understanding of dopamine’s role in various cognitive and behavioural processes.

Our study revealed that the sombre Winter movement elicited a particularly strong dopamine response, challenging our preconceived notions and shedding light on the interplay between music and emotions. Arguably you could have predicted a heightened response to the familiar and uplifting Spring concerto, but this was not the case.

Vivaldi’s Winter movement was found to elicit a particularly strong dopamine response.
Our approach extended beyond dopamine measurement to gain a comprehensive understanding of the effects of sad and happy music. We also used EEG network analysis to study how different regions of the brain communicate and synchronise their activity while listening to different music. For instance, regions associated with the appreciation of music, the triggering of positive emotions and the retrieval of rich personal memories may “talk” to each other. It is like watching a symphony of brain activity unfold, as individuals subjectively experienced a diverse range of musical stimuli.

In parallel, self-reports of subjective experiences gave us insights into the personal impact of each piece of music, including the timeframe of thoughts (past, present, or future), their focus (self or others), their form (images or words), and their emotional content. Categorising these thoughts and emotions, and analysing their correlation with brain data, can provide valuable information for future therapeutic interventions.

Our preliminary data reveals that happy music sparks present and future-oriented thoughts, positive emotions, and an outward focus on others. These thoughts were associated with heightened frontal brain activity and reduced posterior brain activity. In contrast, sad tunes caused self-focused reflection on past events, aligning with increased neural activity in brain areas tied to introspection and memory retrieval.

So why does sad music have the power to impact psychological wellbeing? The immersive experience of sombre melodies provides a platform for emotional release and processing. By evoking deep emotions, sad music allows listeners to find solace, introspect, and effectively navigate their emotional states.

This understanding forms the basis for developing future targeted music therapy interventions that cater to people facing difficulties with emotional regulation, rumination and even depression. In other words, even sad music can be a tool for personal growth and reflection.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was just reading this article and it made me think of this exchange

Exploring the effects of happy and sad music​

Drawing inspiration from studies on emotionally intense cinematic experiences, we recently published a study highlighting the effects of complex musical compositions, particularly Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, on dopamine responses and emotional states. This was designed to help us understand how happy and sad music affects people in different ways.

One major challenge was how to measure our participants’ dopamine levels non-invasively. Traditional functional brain imaging has been a common tool to track dopamine in response to music – for example, positron emission tomography (PET) imaging. However, this involves the injection of a radiotracer into the bloodstream, which attaches to dopamine receptors in the brain. Such a process also has limitations in terms of cost and availability.

In the field of psychology and dopamine research, one alternative, non-invasive approach involves studying how often people blink, and how the rate of blinking varies when different music is played.

Blinking is controlled by the basal ganglia, a brain region that regulates dopamine. Dopamine dysregulation in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease can affect the regular blink rate. Studies have found that individuals with Parkinson’s often exhibit reduced blink rates or increased variability in blink rates, compared with healthy individuals. These findings suggest that blink rate can serve as an indirect proxy indicator of dopamine release or impairment.

While blink rate may not provide the same level of precision as direct neurochemical measurements, it offers a practical and accessible proxy measure that can complement traditional imaging techniques. This alternative approach has shown promise in enhancing our understanding of dopamine’s role in various cognitive and behavioural processes.

Our study revealed that the sombre Winter movement elicited a particularly strong dopamine response, challenging our preconceived notions and shedding light on the interplay between music and emotions. Arguably you could have predicted a heightened response to the familiar and uplifting Spring concerto, but this was not the case.

Vivaldi’s Winter movement was found to elicit a particularly strong dopamine response.
Our approach extended beyond dopamine measurement to gain a comprehensive understanding of the effects of sad and happy music. We also used EEG network analysis to study how different regions of the brain communicate and synchronise their activity while listening to different music. For instance, regions associated with the appreciation of music, the triggering of positive emotions and the retrieval of rich personal memories may “talk” to each other. It is like watching a symphony of brain activity unfold, as individuals subjectively experienced a diverse range of musical stimuli.

In parallel, self-reports of subjective experiences gave us insights into the personal impact of each piece of music, including the timeframe of thoughts (past, present, or future), their focus (self or others), their form (images or words), and their emotional content. Categorising these thoughts and emotions, and analysing their correlation with brain data, can provide valuable information for future therapeutic interventions.

Our preliminary data reveals that happy music sparks present and future-oriented thoughts, positive emotions, and an outward focus on others. These thoughts were associated with heightened frontal brain activity and reduced posterior brain activity. In contrast, sad tunes caused self-focused reflection on past events, aligning with increased neural activity in brain areas tied to introspection and memory retrieval.

So why does sad music have the power to impact psychological wellbeing? The immersive experience of sombre melodies provides a platform for emotional release and processing. By evoking deep emotions, sad music allows listeners to find solace, introspect, and effectively navigate their emotional states.

This understanding forms the basis for developing future targeted music therapy interventions that cater to people facing difficulties with emotional regulation, rumination and even depression. In other words, even sad music can be a tool for personal growth and reflection.

Yup, makes sense to me that it’s helpful for the purposes of evoking emotions and processing.

The aspect of it that I’m referring to is, for lack of better words, ‘over indulgence’. If you keep reliving the same emotional experiences by the force of repetition, your brain will naturally revisit those thought processes again and again. This colours your ‘emotional vision’ towards other experiences in life.

Balance is certainly good. But if there is an imbalance and you a person that is susceptible to feeling low, then I would highly recommended playing around with your ‘diet’.

Back
Top Bottom