**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Go, make the call to the GP! I'd offer to buy you a cookie but 1) I'm broke 2) maybe a bad idea until there's some results :cry:

Can't see the GP at the moment (got covid) but I will do next week. In the meantime I've ordered a cheap blood glucose monitor to keep an eye on it.

Gotta get some time away from work though too I'd say. Probably not easy given the time of year though.

Sadly not - the other half has apparently booked "something" towards the end of December which will hopefully be a nice couple of days away, but otherwise not going to happen. Annual leave allowance refreshes in January though, so I might book a couple of duvet days and see if I have the willpower to not spend them doing DIY :cry:

Was just reading this article and it made me think of this exchange

Exploring the effects of happy and sad music​

Drawing inspiration from studies on emotionally intense cinematic experiences, we recently published a study highlighting the effects of complex musical compositions, particularly Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, on dopamine responses and emotional states. This was designed to help us understand how happy and sad music affects people in different ways.

One major challenge was how to measure our participants’ dopamine levels non-invasively. Traditional functional brain imaging has been a common tool to track dopamine in response to music – for example, positron emission tomography (PET) imaging. However, this involves the injection of a radiotracer into the bloodstream, which attaches to dopamine receptors in the brain. Such a process also has limitations in terms of cost and availability.

In the field of psychology and dopamine research, one alternative, non-invasive approach involves studying how often people blink, and how the rate of blinking varies when different music is played.

Blinking is controlled by the basal ganglia, a brain region that regulates dopamine. Dopamine dysregulation in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease can affect the regular blink rate. Studies have found that individuals with Parkinson’s often exhibit reduced blink rates or increased variability in blink rates, compared with healthy individuals. These findings suggest that blink rate can serve as an indirect proxy indicator of dopamine release or impairment.

While blink rate may not provide the same level of precision as direct neurochemical measurements, it offers a practical and accessible proxy measure that can complement traditional imaging techniques. This alternative approach has shown promise in enhancing our understanding of dopamine’s role in various cognitive and behavioural processes.

Our study revealed that the sombre Winter movement elicited a particularly strong dopamine response, challenging our preconceived notions and shedding light on the interplay between music and emotions. Arguably you could have predicted a heightened response to the familiar and uplifting Spring concerto, but this was not the case.

Vivaldi’s Winter movement was found to elicit a particularly strong dopamine response.
Our approach extended beyond dopamine measurement to gain a comprehensive understanding of the effects of sad and happy music. We also used EEG network analysis to study how different regions of the brain communicate and synchronise their activity while listening to different music. For instance, regions associated with the appreciation of music, the triggering of positive emotions and the retrieval of rich personal memories may “talk” to each other. It is like watching a symphony of brain activity unfold, as individuals subjectively experienced a diverse range of musical stimuli.

In parallel, self-reports of subjective experiences gave us insights into the personal impact of each piece of music, including the timeframe of thoughts (past, present, or future), their focus (self or others), their form (images or words), and their emotional content. Categorising these thoughts and emotions, and analysing their correlation with brain data, can provide valuable information for future therapeutic interventions.

Our preliminary data reveals that happy music sparks present and future-oriented thoughts, positive emotions, and an outward focus on others. These thoughts were associated with heightened frontal brain activity and reduced posterior brain activity. In contrast, sad tunes caused self-focused reflection on past events, aligning with increased neural activity in brain areas tied to introspection and memory retrieval.

So why does sad music have the power to impact psychological wellbeing? The immersive experience of sombre melodies provides a platform for emotional release and processing. By evoking deep emotions, sad music allows listeners to find solace, introspect, and effectively navigate their emotional states.

This understanding forms the basis for developing future targeted music therapy interventions that cater to people facing difficulties with emotional regulation, rumination and even depression. In other words, even sad music can be a tool for personal growth and reflection.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think "sad" music on it's own makes you "sad" as such, but it can bring subconscious negative feelings to the foreground and help you work through and and come to terms with them - making you feel more positive after *

* this is only my opinion based on my experiences and how music affects me, I'm sure it's different for others

Caporegime
All the brain fog and exhaustion talk hits me hard. Sat on the train home feeling like absolute rubbish - I'm convinced 5 days a week working/in the office is too much for me. One trip a week into our London head office is enough to wipe me out for the rest of the week :(

Same, I'm honestly in awe of people who can spend almost 40 hours a week in an office, especially with a significant commute, and still function at the end of the day.

I know most people tend to get used to their environment over time, but I really think I'd become a zombie and need medication to function.

Soldato
Same, I'm honestly in awe of people who can spend almost 40 hours a week in an office, especially with a significant commute, and still function at the end of the day.

I know most people tend to get used to their environment over time, but I really think I'd become a zombie and need medication to function.

My last job was in Liverpool street, London. Only had to go in once a week, sometimes less but i found that area very overwhelming because of how busy it was.

Soldato

Exactly this. I'm 36. I've given it a good try but any time I've had "normal" hours jobs, I've been totally exhausted continuously. Pre covid I did it for 3 years and was just tired every evening and all weekend. I was able to maintain it but quality of life wasn't great - I just happened to put work first and enjoy doing so. When work isn't so peachy - it's miserable. I'm pretty stressed out right now and the company is expecting to stay this busy til around Q3 next year. Grumble grumble...

Soldato
Mental health issues can be so debilitating. People say you look well when, inside you are really suffering. Been going through this for 20+ years!

Plus back issues and exhaustion too. Had to cut work down to 3 days a week. And still its extremely hard.

Soldato
Something that may be little known and one I am trained in at my work is to be a Mental Health First Aider.
The course is not that expensive, very informative and has been really helpful a few times when I have helped others at work.

Check it out and badger HR to get someone, or many trained.

It is well worth it.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Most people are some level of miserable and people will put up with ridiculous things simply because they have accepted that they are normal. The idea of travelling for 3 hours a day and working for 8-9 hours blows my mind but millions in the UK do it. I just can't see the point not matter how much I was paid unless it was enough that I could retire after 10 years.

Soldato
Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Constantly battling with figuring out what our marriage goals look like, what our 'team' looks like and where responsibilities lie, whilst also coming to terms with my own failings as a husband.

And that's just on top of all the other daily struggles.

Ugh.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Constantly battling with figuring out what our marriage goals look like, what our 'team' looks like and where responsibilities lie, whilst also coming to terms with my own failings as a husband.

And that's just on top of all the other daily struggles.

Ugh.

How is your decision-stress going?

Soldato
I had to sit down and write out the pain points before I could get on with anything that day. I'm still struggling a bit with my thoughts of 'do the number of hours that I do for work + home + kids etc, add up to the same amount of time that she spends on the same tasks'. Or if that's even a healthy way of looking at it. We did a 'chores' worksheet (I **** you not) the other day that did make me realise that she does so much of the 'behind the scenes' stuff that is really easy to take for granted.

Things are looking up at the moment though, she's seen a positive change in me and her therapy seems to be doing the business.

Reactions: RxR
Caporegime
Most people are some level of miserable and people will put up with ridiculous things simply because they have accepted that they are normal. The idea of travelling for 3 hours a day and working for 8-9 hours blows my mind but millions in the UK do it. I just can't see the point not matter how much I was paid unless it was enough that I could retire after 10 years.

Same. I don't understand people that just work and commute virtually their entire lives (unless they work doing something artistic or with purpose/value).

Working all the hours god sends in meaningless rubbish like marketing, advertising, sales etc etc would make me want to kill myself, even if it did earn me a lot of money.

Soldato
I had to sit down and write out the pain points before I could get on with anything that day. I'm still struggling a bit with my thoughts of 'do the number of hours that I do for work + home + kids etc, add up to the same amount of time that she spends on the same tasks'. Or if that's even a healthy way of looking at it. We did a 'chores' worksheet (I **** you not) the other day that did make me realise that she does so much of the 'behind the scenes' stuff that is really easy to take for granted.

Things are looking up at the moment though, she's seen a positive change in me and her therapy seems to be doing the business.
It's about finding the balance that works for you both really.

Soldato
Same. I don't understand people that just work and commute virtually their entire lives (unless they work doing something artistic or with purpose/value).

Working all the hours god sends in meaningless rubbish like marketing, advertising, sales etc etc would make me want to kill myself, even if it did earn me a lot of money.

That said, some people are just happy....(not sure if they are happy!?!?!) going through the daily grind as its easier.

Soldato
I have been trying to taper down the amount of sertraline that I am taking, got from 200 to 100mg so far over the past year, tried 50mg recently for several days but I have had some nasty side effects that I did not get before with tapering. Perhaps I need to give it more time before I lower the dosage again.

Soldato
I have been trying to taper down the amount of sertraline that I am taking, got from 200 to 100mg so far over the past year, tried 50mg recently for several days but I have had some nasty side effects that I did not get before with tapering. Perhaps I need to give it more time before I lower the dosage again.

Slow and steady maybe a more gradual taper ? A chat with your Dr for advice might help although I have found they tend to advise quick tapers based on old evidence but some are more clued up now.

Associate
Anyone had experience of "brain fog"/"cognitive dysfunction"?

I've just come out of a meeting with my manager where I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not working fast enough. To be perfectly honest, despite the justifications I came up with, I already knew this; the last few months (maybe longer, I can't even remember?) my brain has felt like it's running on empty, I can pick up a bug that I think looks easy, and then spend half a day blankly staring at code not even knowing where to start.

I get distracted easily, can't concentrate on anything (it doesn't help when our systems are so slow that half the time I'm waiting literally 10 minutes for a build to complete, or am I just making excuses again?), but I just feel generally stupid and slow.

A bit of googling (dangerous, I know!), suggests it's "brain fog", but no idea what would be causing it, or what can be done to fix it :(
I feel like I'm in the brainfog camp lately. Dunno if it's long-covid, or just the lack of interaction now I'm fully working from home, or just getting bored with my work. Sounds like you're a coder? I am to.
Since we shifted to working from home, the amount of meetings has gone through the roof which really kills trying to get in the zone. Also I feel your pain with slow systems. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time fixing out build systems because we have no dedicated engineers for that.

I try and get out for a walk every lunchtime if it's not chucking down, but lately haven't done many due to the incessant rain.
Cant wait to have a nice break over Christmas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom