**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
A week ago my relationship of 5 years was going downhill fast.
A week on, it's like were in the first few weeks of dating.
It's been a very emotional week and mentally draining - I didnt sleep one night at all and other nights only for an hour or so. My food intake rapidly declined and ended up losing 3kg in 1 week.
I spoke to a friend and councillor through a work support number which was very difficult but just speaking helped.

The whole reason for the issues was poor communication, mainly me not wanting to discuss sensitive things which have really affected my girlfriend for over a year.
Since talking we're much closer. I guess my advice (from a newbie) would be to try and speak to someone impartially, even just talking I felt much better and reaslised what I had to do to progress.

Me and my partner schedule regular "check ins" where we can bring up anything thats bothering us, either in the relationship or totally unrelated.

Sometimes there just isn't a "right" time to bring things up with how life gets, these allow us to bring up any issues in a nice calm way.

It can seem kind of forced at first, but after a while you almost look forward to them as they become a great time to bring up other things in your life that you're worried about/want advice on.

Like you say, communication is key, and with these check ins you both have to agree that anything said comes from a "kind" place, and to receive any "criticism" as coming from a good place, otherwise they'll just devolve into arguments.

Glad things are going better for you! :)

Associate
Anxiety at an all time high again. Has anyone that's been on sertraline and stopped, gone back onto it or something else? I had to stop due to side effects (headaches and lots of jaw clenching) and was beginning to feel a little better anyway. But boom, back with a vengeance (hence being wide awake gone midnight again)

Soldato
Anxiety at an all time high again. Has anyone that's been on sertraline and stopped, gone back onto it or something else? I had to stop due to side effects (headaches and lots of jaw clenching) and was beginning to feel a little better anyway. But boom, back with a vengeance (hence being wide awake gone midnight again)

You need to go see your GP pal, Sertraline is typically the one they prescribe first. If it's not working for you there's plenty of other types they can try that may work better.

Are you getting counselling for your anxiety?

Associate
Anxiety - After your shower in the morning switch the control to its coldest setting. Start at 30 seconds and build your way up to at least a minute, do it every morning without fail. After a couple of weeks you’ll notice it’s helped your Anxiety. Don’t go looking for one magical cure, go looking and practice several things that all help.

Also try and see if there is a pattern to what triggers it and break the habit, it seems everyone who has anxiety, it’s over something different. It usually always starts with a “what if” and before you know it you’ve built up a very irrational story in your head.

kind of know my issues stem from a child, but my lifes come to a complete stop, ive some difficult decisions to make and i just cannot do it
stressing as i think im going to have to take someone to court as they have ripped me off
im also off work and spend most of my time alone except for a hour or so most days in the local cafe
its been an ongoing battle with depression most of my life, the simple things feel beyond me atm

the other thing im just been to the doctor and having some initial tests for stomach issues, which would be stressful enough but given that i took a overdose many years ago im hoping ive not done any damage

not currently on any ads as they just made all just feel worse

know its only me that can sort this stuff out dont even know why ive posted this

Soldato
kind of know my issues stem from a child, but my lifes come to a complete stop, ive some difficult decisions to make and i just cannot do it
stressing as i think im going to have to take someone to court as they have ripped me off
im also off work and spend most of my time alone except for a hour or so most days in the local cafe
its been an ongoing battle with depression most of my life, the simple things feel beyond me atm

the other thing im just been to the doctor and having some initial tests for stomach issues, which would be stressful enough but given that i took a overdose many years ago im hoping ive not done any damage

not currently on any ads as they just made all just feel worse

know its only me that can sort this stuff out dont even know why ive posted this

being on your own doesn't help, i spend days not talking to anyone apart from wattsapp family calls i walk to the middle of nowhere on my own, self inflicted isolation in my case ,i suppose when i was working i was forced to interact
ads are tricky, when i took mirtazapine it only helped for sleep but fat levels went up and i just felt rubbish (as the dosage went higher), think i would try them again if there was one i trusted.
Thing is i enjoy the things i do ,all the outdoors things but always revert back to melancholy and stressing the small stuff.
I sort of know i need more contact with humans but avoid them and probably some decent therapy, the nhs therapy i had was poor,

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm sure many of you have heard this a million times before but exercise. Probably the best thing for depression and mental health issues. Even better if you exercise outside. There was a reddit thread on a cycling subreddit the other day and I was astonished how many of them gave the same answer. The question was "why do you cycle". And by far the most given answer was for mental health and to keep depression at bay.

Soldato
In my case my walks tend to be 4 hours a day ,a third of that hill climbing, bodyboarding is also quite intense getting outback with fins.
Feel ok during sometimes great but doesn't help my overall default mood when I go back to overthinking

I'm sure many of you have heard this a million times before but exercise. Probably the best thing for depression and mental health issues. Even better if you exercise outside. There was a reddit thread on a cycling subreddit the other day and I was astonished how many of them gave the same answer. The question was "why do you cycle". And by far the most given answer was for mental health and to keep depression at bay.
I do understand that. Couple of years ago I was heavily into cycling 5-7k a year. But found as soon as I went home the anxiety/panic started again. I used to go to neighbours for an hour or so to help but even then after 30 mins of me being there I wanted to go home and when I got home I wanted to get out again. Reading that back it sounds pathetic

Soldato
I was the same, cycling miles and miles everyday, absolutely loved cycling! until I had a panic attack while cycling. Then the fear of having another while cycling just made it more difficult to get out. Had to give up in the end.
Constantly scared of my own shadow now, can't leave the house, can't do anything. And it's been like this for years now.

I do have an assessment on Monday with the mental health team, but I'm not hopeful of any help!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh I don't find exercise to be the magic bullet at all from my experience.

I do think it's good advice to do it though as it's generally a more worthwhile way to spend your time (rather than being a depressed blob in bed ) and it's very good for your health. If you let your health and weight/appearance suffer that's only going to add to the downward spiral, so forcing yourself to stay fit and healthy is important (though understandably difficult if already depressed).

However I suffered my lowest mood period whilst being the fittest and doing the most exercise I've ever done....

So I would say absolutely try and exercise, but don't expect it to magically fix things. That expectation could end up making things worse when you find it doesn't work/were already exercising loads anyway.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do have an assessment on Monday with the mental health team, but I'm not hopeful of any help!!

Good luck!

And cyclings isn't a fix for depression but I think it helps to manage it. Fundamentally the root cause needs to be addressed if you want a long term solution. If there is not a temporary cause for the depression ie a specific situation that will remedy with time then its unlikely that things like medications or unrelated actions will do much more than manage it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
However I suffered my lowest mood period whilst being the fittest and doing the most exercise I've ever done....

The question is whether it would have been worse if you hadn't been doing that exercise at the time?

So I would say absolutely try and exercise, but don't expect it to magically fix things. That expectation could end up making things worse when you find it doesn't work/were already exercising loads anyway.

I don't think anyone suggests exercise fixes depression but it can be a vital part of recovery or simply something that allows you to keep going rather than giving in to it completely.

Caporegime
The question is whether it would have been worse if you hadn't been doing that exercise at the time?

I don't think anyone suggests exercise fixes depression but it can be a vital part of recovery or simply something that allows you to keep going rather than giving in to it completely.

But you said "Probably the best thing for depression and mental health issues.... The question was "why do you cycle". And by far the most given answer was for mental health and to keep depression at bay."

I would argue it isn't "the best thing" at all, and would also argue that it does not necessarily keep "depression at bay"

Soldato

Also heard a million times, but everyone’s different. I hate going for a walk, cycle, gym, etc. it just seems to give me time to think.

I’m not often in the mood for video gaming, but when I am I feel that helps. It’s enough of a distraction to prevent my mind going to dark places that tends to happen when walking, running, etc. of simply doing things that don’t distract enough.

Soldato
I need some support of some sort....

I've got myself in a bit of a low dark place over the last month or so, I'm not sure what or where I have to go, I know it's a bad thing to do but I got hooked over the years and now I want to put a stop to it and get myself financially sorted this year not just for me but for my kids and wife....

I have been betting for years now but this weekend I shut all my accounts permanently and signed up to GamStop so I don't deposit onto any bookmakers website, I want to be able to save and not touch it but ive always had the urge to sneak into my savings accounts and transfer money, even if it's just a £10 bet here and there. I know that if I can bring myself away from it all then I could easily save £300 per month but I don't know how to start, I enjoy football, watching and playing but that then makes me want to bet...

It's got to the point where I think, what does the wife and kids actually see in me, I've not got money for the last 2 weeks of every month and can't treat my two beautiful kids to a thing

Any help would be appreciated, I can also take criticism so please feel free

fez

fez

Caporegime

I assume you are going to gamblers anonymous or something similar? If not, that would be the first step. Are you talking to your partner about it regularly as well? Telling them when you are struggling. Perhaps you can set a goal of something to save towards that will reward you and your kids and help you to focus on the positive effects of not gambling.

Talking to professionals and people that have been through this will help you understand why you do it and the best ways to stop.

Soldato

yes, im on Setraline, I stopped (stupidly) for about 2 weeks, and when going back on, on of the side effects was "ticking" so kinds like a OCD version of Tourrets. And its given me neck and head jerking! :(

Caporegime
I need some support of some sort....

I've got myself in a bit of a low dark place over the last month or so, I'm not sure what or where I have to go, I know it's a bad thing to do but I got hooked over the years and now I want to put a stop to it and get myself financially sorted this year not just for me but for my kids and wife....

I have been betting for years now but this weekend I shut all my accounts permanently and signed up to GamStop so I don't deposit onto any bookmakers website, I want to be able to save and not touch it but ive always had the urge to sneak into my savings accounts and transfer money, even if it's just a £10 bet here and there. I know that if I can bring myself away from it all then I could easily save £300 per month but I don't know how to start, I enjoy football, watching and playing but that then makes me want to bet...

It's got to the point where I think, what does the wife and kids actually see in me, I've not got money for the last 2 weeks of every month and can't treat my two beautiful kids to a thing

Any help would be appreciated, I can also take criticism so please feel free

Read articles about this woman:

Note she also paid herself £300 million in 2021. £300 million pounds.....for one year of work.

Make it anger you.

The house always wins. All you are doing is adding to her exorbitant wealth every time you make a bet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom