**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
My mental health is going to be taking a beating for the next year, had some news that changes everything, more stress, more work, more worry... joy!

Can't say why yet though.

Permabanned
Same.. the doctors gave me medication which I will not be taking because I don’t like side effects and I don’t like the idea of relying on something..l

Soldato
As soon as you stop taking the meds you’ll be back to square one..
Not necessarily true. Medication can give you some internal peace or respite from stress, anxiety etc. This can make room for you to address things and build since good coping mechanisms/strength. It's a complex topic because as you say, for many it's more help than others. I was put on anti-depressants during final year of uni and they absolutely helped me get through it. But I was also very keen not to stay on then any longer than necessary.

Permabanned
Yeah I get where your coming from meds work for some and not others I gues.. has anyone tried applying for PIP I did and got declined because as I oook to call it my condition didn’t “suit” them I’m just wondering about the future how can I work with intense anxiety some days your ok and others not and the government won’t give you money for not working ah logic..

Caporegime
As soon as you stop taking the meds you’ll be back to square one..

No you won't, not at all.

Because while you were on the news you felt with your problem, built experience and coping strategies so that you can then function first with the news and then later without them.

You will only go back to square one if all you do is take the news and expect that to fix everything.

Meds are like training wheels on a bicycle useful while you get your bearings but when they come off you're a long way from back to square one.

You are putting obstacles in your path because you don't want to face the problem, accept that you're going to fail at first, probbaly often and hard but just like a bike you'll get better, but even lance Armstrong still falls off from time to time

Yeah I get where your coming from meds work for some and not others I gues.. has anyone tried applying for PIP I did and got declined because as I oook to call it my condition didn’t “suit” them I’m just wondering about the future how can I work with intense anxiety some days your ok and others not and the government won’t give you money for not working ah logic..

Work from home?

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Lmao its hard enough getting any job as it is expect from retail let alone being picky about a job “work from home” that’s so easy isn’t it

Well you've got a lot of free time, could do a programming, web or graphic design course etc. Added advantage you can be a full time student and claim some financial suport

Hilariously when I was getting my life back on track after depression I got turned down for a job at Primark but accepted for an apprenticeship so I'm not good enough to work in retail but now I build planes lol.

Caporegime
That’s crazy

Being turned down for retail isnt a bad thing mate.

It's a dead end get yourself into some training a big advantage is most place usualy have wuite good facilities for helping people with problems.

An apprenticeship as s a good route for me.

Start off with fairly easy college work then slowly moved into the work place with a good amount of support

Soldato
Well you've got a lot of free time, could do a programming, web or graphic design course etc. Added advantage you can be a full time student and claim some financial suport.

That is what I do with all my free time. I figure I might not be able to work in an office environment, but I can at least learn new stuff and work on projects that will enable me to get a job as a remote programmer. Just need to build up a few more skills first.

It is easy to learn the basics on your own but to become an expert in something takes months and years of practice before you can get to a stage where you can actually be useful (unless you get lucky and land a junior role with a more senior engineer willing to help you if you come across any problems).

Soldato
That’s crazy

Life is crazy. You’ve had some good advice in this thread. Try something different to what you think is right. Try the meds.

The worst thing one can do is believe they are right and not give things the benefit of the doubt. Listening to others can help to see things we might not see ourselves - be open to this. Not that I’m saying you are but I’ve seen very stubborn people end up in a bad place because they simply can’t see anything else other than what they believe is true.

As you said, things are crazy! Some of the things you see in real life you wouldn’t believe to be true if you saw them I’m a film.

Back
Top Bottom