**The Mental Health Thread**

Don
I thought I'd make a post with my progress. First some background.

9 months ago I couldn't leave the house. I couldn't be on my own in the house either. I couldn't drive and I certainly couldn't go inside a shop or go for a walk. Panic and fear ruled my life. I was having 10+ panic attacks per day.
Yesterday I went to a restaurant for dinner with my wife, my son, and my mother. I then went for a walk in the field behind my house to play football with my son. The day before I went to 2 supermarkets and did some shopping. These things may sound pretty basic or easy but for me they were utterly unthinkable just a few months ago.

I've not beaten the panic yet. It's still there but I'm no longer held prisoner by it. So if you're like me, there is a future and you CAN get your life back. It just takes the right medication, a lot of therapy, and a ton of work.

Soldato

9 months ago I couldn't leave the house. I couldn't be on my own in the house either. I couldn't drive and I certainly couldn't go inside a shop or go for a walk. Panic and fear ruled my life. I was having 10+ panic attacks per day.
Yesterday I went to a restaurant for dinner with my wife, my son, and my mother. I then went for a walk in the field behind my house to play football with my son. The day before I went to 2 supermarkets and did some shopping. These things may sound pretty basic or easy but for me they were utterly unthinkable just a few months ago.

I've not beaten the panic yet. It's still there but I'm no longer held prisoner by it. So if you're like me, there is a future and you CAN get your life back. It just takes the right medication, a lot of therapy, and a ton of work.

May I ask what medication you're taking?

Don
I take:

20mg Mirtazapine
40mg Fluoxetine
240mg Pregabalin

Per day. DO NOT take this as a recommendation at all. I don't want this thread locked because of people discussing medicines. Speak to your GP and discuss medication options.

Soldato

That’s fantastic - incredible progress. Well done!

Soldato
Agoraphobia.

I know what it's called. I'm asking why you have it?

It's developed by a snowball effect of anxiety/fear spreading outward from one traumatic causal event.

I'm interested in your causal event if you feel like sharing. I knew someone who suffered from agoraphobia to the point that they were scared of not only the outside of their house but the outside of their bedroom. This all spread from nearly being hit by a car whilst walking on a pavement.

Don
I know what it's called. I'm asking why you have it?

It's developed by a snowball effect of anxiety/fear spreading outward from one traumatic causal event.

I'm interested in your causal event if you feel like sharing. I knew someone who suffered from agoraphobia to the point that they were scared of not only the outside of their house but the outside of their bedroom. This all spread from nearly being hit by a car whilst walking on a pavement.

I would prefer not to go in to this on a public forum. Happy to discuss the journey but I don't want to talk about the reasons for any of it.

Soldato
I would prefer not to go in to this on a public forum. Happy to discuss the journey but I don't want to talk about the reasons for any of it.

Absolutely, congrats on your progress and good luck.

Really? I thought agoraphobia was rare

It is very rare. It’s a kind of chain reaction that’s hard to stop once started though, I have massive respect for people who recover from it.

Soldato
We suspect my wife has had a miscarriage overnight, anxious, stressed and trying not to resorting to self-harm to deal with it. just when I'm getting ahead with things. :(

Soldato

Awesome news. I hope things continue to get better for you.

Did you do any CBT by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom