**The Mental Health Thread**

Caporegime
Having a few issues at the moment, mainly with being bullied (god it sounds so wrong for a 30+-year-old man to say they are being bullied). Plus when I was in the hospital for mental health reasons I got threatened by some guy in there. Looking back I wish I had been more assertive (but unfortunately if I had punched him in the face like he deserved it would have been blamed on my mental illness and I would have had to spend even more time in that place).

At the moment I want to get away from people for six months or so. Move to the middle of nowhere and rebuild my life in a quiet place with no one to bother me. Unfortunately, due to the cost of property in the UK, I don't think I'll be able to afford the kind of place I want. I've considered moving abroad to Europe but what with Brexit coming up that plan might not be possible. I'm stuck. I need somewhere where I am far away from people, but I can't afford a place like that. I'd be highly appreciative if someone could offer some advice. I've considered a remote part of Scotland or Wales, but I haven't found a website that has anywhere like that.

A lot of people say this but isolating yourself is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

You won't have some idyllic country life you'll just end up sat in a house doing nothing getting worse and worse

Soldato
A lot of people say this but isolating yourself is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

You won't have some idyllic country life you'll end up sat in a house doing nothing getting worse and worse

That might be true, but I wouldn't be wasting my time. I'm currently learning maths and electronics to improve my career prospects (I'm now a programmer), and I have an idea for a business which I'd like to pursue. So yeah I might be sat in my house, but I'd still be doing productive things (assuming I have internet access).

Caporegime
That might be true, but I wouldn't be wasting my time. I'm currently learning maths and electronics to improve my career prospects (I'm now a programmer), and I have an idea for a business which I'd like to pursue. So yeah I might be sat in my house, but I'd still be doing productive things (assuming I have internet access).

And in a location where you'd have zero employment opportunities:p

Permabanned
I just read a couple of pages back agoraphobia is rare? That’s ****** makes me feel even more worthless that I’m pretty much the only one suffering with it

Caporegime
I just read a couple of pages back agoraphobia is rare? That’s ****** makes me feel even more worthless that I’m pretty much the only one suffering with it

Well of course it's rare pretty much all clinical phobias are rare.

But that doesn't mean your alone nearly 650,000 people in the uk suffer from it.

Soldato

Why can't you do this where you are? Find a library.

Soldato
Had confirmation on Monday that we've lost our baby at 8 weeks along, honestly didn't think I was so invested but maybe it was due to all the changes we'd need to make, moving house etc.

I've been in a **** place since, mask is on with the outward happy face but inside i'm ripped to shreds. I've taken this a lot harder than my wife, and it was her that wanted a 3rd not me.

BPD is kicking in and my go to urge is to numb the pain via alternative pain but I've avoided it so far just via sheer willpower. Can't get motivated, just sat here with mountains to do and all I can manage is playing minesweeper because I can't face anything.

Soldato
Forgive my ignorance but can't you do exactly what you'd do in the middle of nowhere but inside your current place?

This is where things get complicated. I have schizophrenia, and because I live in the middle of a town, I never know if the voices I hear are real or not. If I lived in the middle of nowhere, I'd know the voices were just in my head. I'd also find it easier to go out and exercise as I wouldn't be worried about bumping into people all the time.

It'll also be pretty hard to run a business without interacting with people surely?

It will be, but there is a Reddit for people looking for co-founders so once I've finished making a minimum viable product I'll try and find someone who can handle the people aspect of the business (and hopefully the design aspect as well).

Associate
Long time lurker on this thread, not posted in here till now. Around 14 months ago i suffered a nasty fall and physically im ok now however its left me with PTSD/Anxiety for which i have been seeing a psychotherpaist for 2 months. I ignored all the symptoms for 12 months pretended to everyone i was ok while inside i crumbled and become a shell of my former self on the outside. Led to the breakup of a 5 year relationship amongts other things. Felt suicidal (before the break up) so took the first steps to getting better and sought help.

No longer feeling as bad although some days are pretty bleak but i'm determined to beat this. This coming Saturday i'm doing a Tough Mudder, running for the MIND charity. Is it ok to post a link to my justgiving page in here or in GD itself does anyone know? Thanks.

Soldato
Long time lurker on this thread, not posted in here till now. Around 14 months ago i suffered a nasty fall and physically im ok now however its left me with PTSD/Anxiety for which i have been seeing a psychotherpaist for 2 months. I ignored all the symptoms for 12 months pretended to everyone i was ok while inside i crumbled and become a shell of my former self on the outside. Led to the breakup of a 5 year relationship amongts other things. Felt suicidal (before the break up) so took the first steps to getting better and sought help.

No longer feeling as bad although some days are pretty bleak but i'm determined to beat this. This coming Saturday i'm doing a Tough Mudder, running for the MIND charity. Is it ok to post a link to my justgiving page in here or in GD itself does anyone know? Thanks.

How did the tough mudder go? Seems like you're facing it head on which is good, but it's all about 1 day at a time :)

Permabanned
that looks interesting, i have found the prozac helps, i cannot explain just how bad the anxiety makes me feel but after a few months on these i started to feel better even if its only masked.

Associate
Had confirmation on Monday that we've lost our baby at 8 weeks along, honestly didn't think I was so invested but maybe it was due to all the changes we'd need to make, moving house etc.

I've been in a **** place since, mask is on with the outward happy face but inside i'm ripped to shreds. I've taken this a lot harder than my wife, and it was her that wanted a 3rd not me.

BPD is kicking in and my go to urge is to numb the pain via alternative pain but I've avoided it so far just via sheer willpower. Can't get motivated, just sat here with mountains to do and all I can manage is playing minesweeper because I can't face anything.

*hugs* been there, while trying for a third. Keep talking to your wife.

Soldato
Soldato
*hugs* been there, while trying for a third. Keep talking to your wife.

Thanks, but this evening I've lost my battle with self-harm after months of avoiding it.

My wife was rushed into the hospital today, intense pain and blood pressure dropping as low as 50/40 and her blacking out.

Turns out we were having twins, the second was ectopic so after nearly dying they rushed her into surgery for 2 hours. It was another 2 hours before I got to see her and we've no idea what they've had to do other than it was definitely ectopic, which means we're going to struggle more to try again as well as having all the worries associated with it happening again. We're 37, been together 21 years now, I don't think either of us could really function without the other.

The stress, worry, crying and the pain from my PsA amplified by a lack of sleep, no meds to help with the pregnancy and the stress meant I was completely overwhelmed and gave in.

It's my curse. Don't look forward to anything because it'll only screw upon you!

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Thanks, but this evening I've lost my battle with self-harm after months of avoiding it.

My wife was rushed into the hospital today, intense pain and blood pressure dropping as low as 50/40 and her blacking out.

Turns out we were having twins, the second was ectopic so after nearly dying they rushed her into surgery for 2 hours. It was another 2 hours before I got to see her and we've no idea what they've had to do other than it was definitely ectopic, which means we're going to struggle more to try again as well as having all the worries associated with it happening again. We're 37, been together 21 years now, I don't think either of us could really function without the other.

The stress, worry, crying and the pain from my PsA amplified by a lack of sleep, no meds to help with the pregnancy and the stress meant I was completely overwhelmed and gave in.

It's my curse. Don't look forward to anything because it'll only screw upon you!

I feel for you, there are times that things just completely overwhelm you and cutting feels like the only way to release it. Dont add additional pressure by feeling guilty for what you did, its the start of the downward spiral as you know.

Firstly - dont blame yourself. For ANY of it, including your cutting. Learn from it and try to avoid doing it again - you did brilliantly before and you know you can do it again.
Secondly - keep talking about things - it really does help - im happy for you to reach out to me if you want to just vent - dont bottle things up.

Associate
How did the tough mudder go? Seems like you're facing it head on which is good, but it's all about 1 day at a time :)

It was good thanks, i thought i'd be too fearful to do it but did every obstacle. Was my first TM. Rally enjoyed it actually. Raised over £300 which isn't too bad i guess.

Yeah trying to take 1 day at a time, got 2 weeks off work now which helps as it gets really bad when im at work where the accident happened.I keep reliving it, the moment i regained consciousness, feeling breathless and paralysed for a few minutes with intense head pains but its my mind doing it to me and i'm learning to accept that now.

Back
Top Bottom