• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Haha. I am also on my first AMD CPU since the XP2500! Just installed my 5800X last night. I flashed the motherboard BIOS to detect it ok and currently have everything in BIOS at stock besides XMP which is enabled.

I do not plan on using PBO as this detailed article from Gamers Nexus suggests almost no improvement and if anything it will generate more heat from higher voltage thus limiting performance over long sessions:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

From my understanding there are advantages to overclocking the RYZEN CPUs but also disadvantages such as penalising single core workloads such as some games. I will be exclusively running games on my PC, aiming for a stable >60fps with RTX on.

Can anyone advise which general BIOS options should be enabled to allow the CPU to self boost and run correctly (i.e. optimised but not manually overclocked)? I believe that the infinity fabric should automatically be half my RAM speed since I am using 3600mhz via XMP so I don't think I have to change this. I will use the Ryzen memory tuning app later to optimise memory timings as I have seen several sites such as HW Unboxed demonstration big gains with this. I am on an air cooler (Noctua) with specs as per sig.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@Joxeon I’m sure you’ve said but what CPU cooler are you using? 3000 RPM :eek: It must sound like a jet engine in your PC!
I limit mine from 1500 RPM down to 1200 RPM as 1500 sounds way too loud to me
Wraith prism which is loud but only runs at that speed during benchmarks for gaming it runs about half that speed. Will be replacing it soon with something better but haven't decided what to go with yet.

TBH I was supprised it even kept the CPU under 90c after reading reports of people struggling for temps on D15s and other similar performing coolers.

Can anyone advise which general BIOS options should be enabled to allow the CPU to self boost and run correctly (i.e. optimised but not manually overclocked)?

If you want the max single core boost then just enable pbo and change the core offset to +200, you could then try applying a negative 5/10/15 to curve optimiser but you will have to test what if any is stable.

Last edited:
Wraith prism which is loud but only runs at that speed during benchmarks for gaming it runs about half that speed. Will be replacing it soon with something better but haven't decided what to go with yet.

TBH I was supprised it even kept the CPU under 90c after reading reports of people struggling for temps on D15s and other similar performing coolers.
Sorry, you have mentioned a few times you have a Wraith prism.
Your CPU is either an excellent one or the prism is doing a great job.

My liquid freezer II should be arriving today (ahead of schedule) so will compare this to my current Noctua.

PBO auto Noctua U14 S
3 runs of each to record the highest temps

CPUZ multi 6778 / single 669, max 68c. Multi all core 4626Mhz, single 4850Mhz
R20 multi 6023 / single 626, max 79c. Multi all core 4525Mhz, single 4850Mhz. All core Voltage 1.306V

Like a lot of others I'm seeing really high temps with the 5800x. I've only got the wraith prism cooler but idle it's between 40-50c. Just opening a programme can cause it to spike to 70c then back down. Within a few seconds in cinebench it's reached 90c.
My motherboard is an MSI MPG b550i with bios set to defaults apart from XMP enabled for the ram. Only got it last night so not had time to tinker yet but I'm pretty unimpressed so far

Like a lot of others I'm seeing really high temps with the 5800x. I've only got the wraith prism cooler but idle it's between 40-50c. Just opening a programme can cause it to spike to 70c then back down. Within a few seconds in cinebench it's reached 90c.
My motherboard is an MSI MPG b550i with bios set to defaults apart from XMP enabled for the ram. Only got it last night so not had time to tinker yet but I'm pretty unimpressed so far
try setting manual PPT and EDC limits at around 125 then as this should bring temps down by 10~15c and give you the same or better performance then try experimenting with negative curve optimiser offsets -5/10/15 etc which should boost performance above stock while also keeping the lower temps.

Just got 5600x and testing it out.

I ran 3dmark and during gpu test I can see that cpu clocks are holding 4.65Ghz but dip to 3.6Ghz 4 times during testing. Is this normal?

oKjH1IE.png

Last edited:
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 arrived.

MSI MEG Unify x570. Fractal Design Define R2 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl
does not fit
QbOsvme.jpg.png

bT13DDP.jpg.png

LR3B1X2.jpg.png

KA5LPDJ.jpg.png

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 arrived.

MSI MEG Unify x570. Fractal Design Define R2 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl
does not fit
QbOsvme.jpg.png

bT13DDP.jpg.png

LR3B1X2.jpg.png

KA5LPDJ.jpg.png
This is what's put me off going with the AF as the only place it will fit in my case is at the front which will negatively effect my 3080 Temps so considering a tower cooler instead but don't want something as large as a D15 and the U12A is quite expensive for its size so not sure what do go with at the minute.

This is what's put me off going with the AF as the only place it will fit in my case is at the front which will negatively effect my 3080 Temps so considering a tower cooler instead but don't want something as large as a D15 and the U12A is quite expensive for its size so not sure what do go with at the minute.

The 240mm or 360mm would fit fine.

try setting manual PPT and EDC limits at around 125 then as this should bring temps down by 10~15c and give you the same or better performance then try experimenting with negative curve optimiser offsets -5/10/15 etc which should boost performance above stock while also keeping the lower temps.

Thanks mate I'll give these a go tonight. Did you do it in ryzen master or bios?

Cheers

Thanks mate I'll give these a go tonight. Did you do it in ryzen master or bios?

Cheers
I did it in the bios as there is no option to play with curve optimizer in ryzen master yet.

The 240mm or 360mm would fit fine.

I have the silverstone RL06 and while it does say you can put a 240mm rad in the top I looked into it and its only compatible with rads under 30mm thick and thats not including the fans so really the only options are a 240/280 in the front or a 120m in the rear. I doubt a 120mm AF will be enough for a 5800X and going for front mounting would mean warmer gpu temps so I'm considering either a new case with a AF 360mm or just going with a tower cooler.

I have the silverstone RL06 and while it does say you can put a 240mm rad in the top I looked into it and its only compatible with rads under 30mm thick and thats not including the fans so really the only options are a 240/280 in the front or a 120m in the rear. I doubt a 120mm AF will be enough for a 5800X and going for front mounting would mean warmer gpu temps so I'm considering either a new case with a AF 360mm or just going with a tower cooler.

Ah right, makes sense. Guess anything too tool might touch the rear fan or something? Corsair 4000D Airflow or Lancool Mesh 2 are great options; otherwise the Fractal Meshify S2 easily supports a 360mm AIO on top and 3 140mm fans at the front.

Ah right, makes sense. Guess anything too tool might touch the rear fan or something? Corsair 4000D Airflow or Lancool Mesh 2 are great options; otherwise the Fractal Meshify S2 easily supports a 360mm AIO on top and 3 140mm fans at the front.
Do motherboards mount further down in newer cases?
If not then a new case wouldnt solve the radiator mount on a 280mm liquid freezer.
Current case is about 10 years old - Fractal Design Define R2

Do motherboards mount further down in newer cases?
If not then a new case wouldnt solve the radiator mount on a 280mm liquid freezer.
Current case is about 10 years old - Fractal Design Define R2

I looked at several cases when doing my recent build and they all Mount the motherboard higher.

A 280mm AIO won’t top mount in most cases; it’s either too wide and hits the mobo heat sink, or the combination of width and height hit the RAM. Unfortunately for gaming you want to top mount so that leaves the 240 or 360.

I looked at several cases when doing my recent build and they all Mount the motherboard higher.

A 280mm AIO won’t top mount in most cases; it’s either too wide and hits the mobo heat sink, or the combination of width and height hit the RAM. Unfortunately for gaming you want to top mount so that leaves the 240 or 360.
What a terrible design, are well will return it after xmas. Thanks
I'll probably just keep my Noctua and look at getting a LF 360 when I get a new case in the future

It's worth noting that the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II are pretty chunky compared to other AIOs. Its the rad, it's quite a bit thinker then you get with the likes of the NZXT Kraken AIOs.

I have a pretty big case, a Corsair Obsidian 500D, I've just changed system components and went from an LGA1150 Mini-ITX mobo with a 4790k, in this config I ran 2 rads.

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 - On the front, pulling in cold air. Hooked up to the CPU.
NZXT Kraken X63 - On the top, exhausting hot air. Hooked up to the GPU (1080ti with an NZXT G12 braket).

After many years I recently changed to AMD. and went to a full-size motherboard (MAG X570 Tomahawk). This had the effect of lowering the GPU in the case so that the Kraken wouldn't reach the top anymore. I was mighty peeved. I thought id just stick the Kraken on the front and the Freezer 2 on the top. Nope, it was too chunky to clear everything.

I ended up having to buy another NZXT Kraken X63 for the CPU as the rad is a bit thinner and fits fine on the top. Still have the Freezer II 360, as I plan on selling the 1080ti with the AIO attached when 3800 are readily available. Ill go back to to using the Frezzer II as its a beast, and keep the other Kraken for when NZXT bring out a G12 for the 3800.

Moral of the story....

Measure before you go buying parts or it can get annoying and expensive.

Looking at your case Guest2, there is no AIO I know of that is going to fit up top. Had a quick look and others with that case have removed the drive bays, but that requires drilling. Then you could front mount.

It's worth noting that the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II are pretty chunky compared to other AIOs. Its the rad, it's quite a bit thinker then you get with the likes of the NZXT Kraken AIOs.

I have a pretty big case, a Corsair Obsidian 500D, I've just changed system components and went from an LGA1150 Mini-ITX mobo with a 4790k, in this config I ran 2 rads.

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 - On the front, pulling in cold air. Hooked up to the CPU.
NZXT Kraken X63 - On the top, exhausting hot air. Hooked up to the GPU (1080ti with an NZXT G12 braket).

After many years I recently changed to AMD. and went to a full-size motherboard (MAG X570 Tomahawk). This had the effect of lowering the GPU in the case so that the Kraken wouldn't reach the top anymore. I was mighty peeved. I thought id just stick the Kraken on the front and the Freezer 2 on the top. Nope, it was too chunky to clear everything.

I ended up having to buy another NZXT Kraken X63 for the CPU as the rad is a bit thinner and fits fine on the top. Still have the Freezer II 360, as I plan on selling the 1080ti with the AIO attached when 3800 are readily available. Ill go back to to using the Frezzer II as its a beast, and keep the other Kraken for when NZXT bring out a G12 for the 3800.

Moral of the story....

Measure before you go buying parts or it can get annoying and expensive.

Looking at your case Guest2, there is no AIO I know of that is going to fit up top. Had a quick look and others with that case have removed the drive bays, but that requires drilling. Then you could front mount.
It's a poor design IMO if it's designed to go in the top of cases but doesnt fit in pretty big cases and/or with modern motherboards due to chunky VRM heatsinks.

I did look at removing the drive bay and CD/DVD bay years ago but would have needed to mount HDDs somewhere. Now I only have 4 SSDs (plus an NVMe) but would still need to mount these somewhere if removing the bays. Id probably just sit them at the bottom behind the PSU

Then I could front mount but this is not recommended over top mounting the LF II. Presumably I would front mount and exhaust out the front otherwise heat would be dumped into the case. Front exhaust would mean removal of the case door/front panel as it's flat or blow our out the side vents which may limit the exhaust.

Unfortunately i'm going to return it and keep the Noctua for now

got a 5600x and just getting it setup, wondering if anyone can advise, currently chip seems happy to boost to 4.65 on all cores consistently, with MB Override voltage set to 1.32v.
My benchmark scores are pretty much matching most stock scores in reviews etc. Temps are a little higher than my old 2600, just wondering if there is any way to improve? running around 40 degrees at idle and about 76-77 degrees under load from Timespy etc.

got a 5600x and just getting it setup, wondering if anyone can advise, currently chip seems happy to boost to 4.65 on all cores consistently, with MB Override voltage set to 1.32v.
My benchmark scores are pretty much matching most stock scores in reviews etc. Temps are a little higher than my old 2600, just wondering if there is any way to improve? running around 40 degrees at idle and about 76-77 degrees under load from Timespy etc.
Setting CPU voltage will lock it to all core overclock instead of boosting how its supposed to by default with auto and PBO. (single core higher clock higher voltage but on a single core at a time, all core lower clock)
Have you tried just leaving it as is and see what single core and all core boosts to?

Back
Top Bottom