• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Thanks. This makes things quite clear - https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf2-280r3
I expect the Noctua backplate will be fine and just need the new mounts.
A couple of questions

1. Is exhaust instead of intake recommended? I would mount at the top exhausting out but suppose I could flips the fans and have it as intake with the single Noctua fan exhausting from the case. Exhaust I expect
2. I only see a single connection from the unit. Does this need connecting to CPU fan or PUMP fan?

1. I'm using mine as exhaust and it's fine. For gaming, it's the better setup as you don't soak your GPU with warm air; just make sure you have intake fans on the front to help get cool air in.
  2. The single connector controls both the pump and the fans for the AIO and should go on the CPU motherboard header.

Screw it, I ordered an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280.
I can at least try it out and compare against my current Noctua U14 S in push pull.
88c max temps in AIDA64 stability test is very close to the 90c max. This is with PBO on auto

If yours is anything like mine I had to reduce voltage to 1.2 and overclock all cores to 4.5 (haven't tried pushing any higher) to get temps under control. This is with a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

I just wasn't happy with those high temps even though people told me it was fine.

It now ideals at high 30s, tops out high 60s

If yours is anything like mine I had to reduce voltage to 1.2 and overclock all cores to 4.5 (haven't tried pushing any higher) to get temps under control. This is with a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280

I just wasn't happy with those high temps even though people told me it was fine.

Why, what temps were you getting with auto and your Liquid Freezer II 280?
If I have to reduce the voltage / change anything from auto settings to get temps under control, it will be going back! My Noctua U14 idles at 30c and tops out at 88c in AIDA64 stability test (CPU, FPU, Cache) on PBO auto default settings

It was idling at 60 and hitting high 80s. The PBO thing seems to slam it with juice.

The fan noise was driving me crazy as I like my systems near silent.
All the reviews and feedback point to the Liquid Freezer II being almost silent.
Again, it'll be going back if it's in any way noisy compared to my Noctua. I'm also using a low noise fan adapter aswell (reduces it from 1500RPM to 1200RPM) so current cooling is almost silent. 90c is the thermal limit for a 5800X and PBO is enabled by default.
It shouldnt be reaching almost thermal limit with the best coolers available on the market - both the LF II and Noctua tower air coolers

Upgraded my case fans this week, running the stock cooler tonight playing Assasins Creed.... not getting over 70

Is around 80 degrees CPU temp during Cinebench a comfortable place to be or should I send the Dark Rock Slim back and go for something better?
I really like how quiet it all is at the moment though....

Edit. It seems the mounting kits supplied are not compatible with MSI motherboards due to the motherboard layout & M2 heatsink. I've logged a ticket with Arctic so they can hopefully send one. God knows when it will arrive, probably not for a couple of weeks now
Do you have a link for this please, as I have an x570 Unify and the Arctic Freezer II 280.
Can still send the Arctic Freezer back.

It was idling at 60 and hitting high 80s. The PBO thing seems to slam it with juice.

Try lowering PPT to 120~130 TDC 90 and EDC 120 ~ 130 and then apply a -10~20 curve to all cores and see if that helps with temps.

Do you have a link for this please, as I have an x570 Unify and the Arctic Freezer II 280.
Can still send the Arctic Freezer back.

If you have both... does it mount correctly? If it does I guess comments are incorrect along with a reply from Arctic that "They (Arctic) will send you the suitable backplate."

Try lowering PPT to 120~130 TDC 90 and EDC 120 ~ 130 and then apply a -10~20 curve to all cores and see if that helps with temps.
PBO auto shouldnt slam it with juice, PBO advanced and motherboard limits may

If you have both... does it mount correctly? If it does I guess comments are incorrect along with a reply from Arctic that "They (Arctic) will send you the suitable backplate."

I didn’t have any issues with my MSI X570 Tomahawk. If you use the offset it actually takes you closer to the M.2 drive, but still had plenty room. The new kits are revision 3 so maybe that’s why it worked for me.

Tuning is cool and all for benchmarks but if you leave it stock the temps will be fine. It’s already more than enough for gaming.

Once PBO2 launches, OC’ing should be much easier.

I didn’t have any issues with my MSI X570 Tomahawk. If you use the offset it actually takes you closer to the M.2 drive, but still had plenty room. The new kits are revision 3 so maybe that’s why it worked for me.
Yeh, good point - probably sorted in the latest revision with updated mounts.
I’ll keep the support ticket open and see what they say

It shouldn't but some motherboard bios seem to over-volt or feed to much power hence why some people are reporting really high temps at stock, by capping the power that the CPU can draw it reduces temps and doesn't really effect performance unless you go to low.

I found you can shave off 15c before performance starts to drop below stock settings by using a combination of reduced PPT TDC EDC to limit the power draw and then using the curve optimiser to make the CPU more efficient.

To be honest, I haven't tried the X570 Unify and the Arctic Freezer, as I also bought the X570 Dark Hero which I have tried the with the Arctic Freezer, not sure if I have the right backplate for that, as it seems a bit loose.
I also couldn't use the offset mounting as my m.2 drive is in the way.

Have contacted Arctic to see what they say, will probably go with the standard AM4 mounting holes as these seem ok.

Thanks, I will play more over Christmas probably. But to be fair I'm pretty happy with my temps now that I have done the 1.2v at 4.5g thing. Still higher than my 4790K run on the same cooling rig, but I'm told Ryzen just runs hotter.

All the reviews and feedback point to the Liquid Freezer II being almost silent.
Again, it'll be going back if it's in any way noisy compared to my Noctua. I'm also using a low noise fan adapter aswell (reduces it from 1500RPM to 1200RPM) so current cooling is almost silent. 90c is the thermal limit for a 5800X and PBO is enabled by default.
It shouldnt be reaching almost thermal limit with the best coolers available on the market - both the LF II and Noctua tower air coolers

The Freezer II is a great setup, Ive had mine since it came out. It kept my 4790K at really low temps (20s idle and low 50s max). All my issues were only when running the 5600X at the default settings on my X570 board. PBO was on by default and everything else was auto. Butr for whatever reason the system just ran hot. And the fan curves were all setup the same as I have always used on my intel rigs. For which 60s was getting warm and 70s was hot. So I had fans blasting at 70. Subtle tweak to the voltage made a huge drop to the temps, and the fixed OC kept the performance. Im sure I could get PBO working well if I read up enough and had the time. But hey its Christmas, ill play next year.

The Freezer II is a great setup, Ive had mine since it came out. It kept my 4790K at really low temps (20s idle and low 50s max). All my issues were only when running the 5600X at the default settings on my X570 board. PBO was on by default and everything else was auto. Butr for whatever reason the system just ran hot. And the fan curves were all setup the same as I have always used on my intel rigs. For which 60s was getting warm and 70s was hot. So I had fans blasting at 70. Subtle tweak to the voltage made a huge drop to the temps, and the fixed OC kept the performance. Im sure I could get PBO working well if I read up enough and had the time. But hey its Christmas, ill play next year.
The trouble is you're losing performance by locking in an all core OC on zen 3

Check out my 5800X scores stock VS tuned and not only are temps lower but scores are higher especially multicore which gained almost 300 points all while using less voltage and power. At stock my all core boost was 4550 but tuned its hitting 4750 and this is achieved on a wraith prism cooler.

Stock

Screenshot-19.png

Tuned

Screenshot-54.png

The trouble is you're losing performance by locking in an all core OC on zen 3

Check out my 5800X scores stock VS tuned and not only are temps lower but scores are higher especially multicore which gained almost 300 points all while using less voltage and power. At stock my all core boost was 4550 but tuned its hitting 4750 and this is achieved on a wraith prism cooler.

Stock

Screenshot-19.png

Tuned

Screenshot-54.png

I’ve no doubt at all you are 100% correct.

in all honesty I don’t know enough about the various bios options. I haven’t had a AMD CPU since the XP2500!

When work quietens down a bit. I’m certainly going to have a bit of a play.

@Joxeon I’m sure you’ve said but what CPU cooler are you using? 3000 RPM :eek: It must sound like a jet engine in your PC!
I limit mine from 1500 RPM down to 1200 RPM as 1500 sounds way too loud to me

Back
Top Bottom