• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE OFFICIAL AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Not good. The 3rd last set of drivers borked on my system. I wasn't able to uninstall them correctly.

When I did manage to install the new set they weren't showing up in add/remove and no power options.

I ended up doing a windows reinstall and then they installed cleanly.

Either you are suffering from a similar issue to me or they have scoobied up the installer again.

AMD.... come on it's the basics you need to get right to be taken seriously.
I am more forgiving than most as I work as a programmer and I know how bad it feels when something like this happens. It must be much worse when the user-base is so big. When I created an installer I had a lot of issues between different versions of windows, there are a lot of subtle differences that can mess things up.

Soldato
OP
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am having the same problem with these drivers as I did with the previous. You cant cleanly uninstall them to install the new ones.

I did a fresh install to fix this last time. So I am getting this issue on a clean fresh windows install.

At the moment it seems to update the drivers I need to do a clean install of windows as well.

The process goes like this:

1. Try to remove drivers. Get a successfully uninstalled message, but drivers still present in add/remove and folders still in windows. Nothing removed. Run it again and same successfully message but everything still present.

2. Reboot. Nothing changed.

3. Manually remove AMD folders from windows and remove the now orphaned AMD drivers icon from add/remove programs.

4. Run new drivers install and get a failed to install message account exists or some such nonsense.

This is what happened last time. And I ended up doing a clean install to fix it.

WTF AMD... :confused::mad::mad:

---

I managed to reinstall the old drivers which thankfully install successfully.

Then I did an over the top install of the new drivers which also went through successfully.

Feels dirty to do it this way tho. I always uninstall old drivers before install new ones...

Via this I found this:

Potential Errors and Solutions
Provided below are the solutions to potential errors that may be encountered during the chipset driver install/uninstall process:

• “Error 1720” – This error occurs when there are two Windows MSI installer processes running concurrently. The Windows MSI handler only supports one install at a time, it can be resolved by closing the other MSI installer process within the Task Manager.
  • “Error 1316” – This error commonly occurs when anti-virus software other than Windows Defender block the chipset driver installation, as the driver modifies critical system components. Please temporarily disable the anti-virus software and try the installation again. Another possible solution to resolve error 1316 is to clear the system Temp folder before installing the chipset drivers. This can be done by running the Windows Disk Cleanup utility, for how-to instructions please refer to this Microsoft article.
  • “Error opening the installation log file” – This is a known Windows OS issue. To work around this problem, please refer to this Microsoft article.
My issue was the 1316 I believe.

I just noticed it says other than Windows Defender... I'm not running a third party antivirus.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Was there any security updates in the chipset driver? I did not see any so did not bother updating. Updating for the sake of updating these days can be stressful :p

But yea, AMD need to get their **** together when it comes to drivers. I did have the issue you mention before myself.

Associate
No security fixes as far as I'm aware, just adding support for the new processors. Like you my system is running stable so I'll give these drivers a miss, no point in fixing something that isn't broken.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No security fixes as far as I'm aware, just adding support for the new processors. Like you my system is running stable so I'll give these drivers a miss, no point in fixing something that isn't broken.
Exactly.

I did update my BIOS to the latest once it was pointed out to me that it had security fixes. But all the BIOS’s before had compatibility improvements etc which I don’t see the point of if everything is working.

I also like to wait a little and let people test the new drivers/bios out before updating these days to save me the hassle. Places like overclock.net have huge threads I browse before updating :)

Soldato
OP
Was there any security updates in the chipset driver? I did not see any so did not bother updating. Updating for the sake of updating these days can be stressful :p

But yea, AMD need to get their **** together when it comes to drivers. I did have the issue you mention before myself.

No security updates in these at least from the release notes.

Associate
You're welcome, I'm in Microsoft teams for another 3 hours for lectures so I'll wait till later before I install anything as it'll probably break it for me lol,

I'll update my x570 tomahawk bios, amd chipset and 5700XT drivers too and hope all three work.

Back
Top Bottom